I think this game should have quests

I’m not talking about the main story like escape the exiled lands but kind of a runescape thing

1 Like

It’s a sandbox game. There are already things you can choose to do that involve following a series of steps, and that’s as far as a sandbox game should go.

For those who really want RPG-style quests, I would recommend resorting to mods. Or a different game.

EDIT: To clarify, what I meant by “things you can choose to do that involve following a series of steps” is stuff like assembling the Heart of the Sands. It’s basically a quest, but not a typical BS quest you get in a MMORPG.

See, I really don’t miss that crap where you have a quest-giver you don’t give a rat’s ass about, whose dialog you click through until you get the objective (typically to kill N of X, or bring him Y, or take some P to Q), and then you have to follow some marker on your (mini-)map until you get to the place where you do the deed mechanically, and then you run back to the quest-giver and get your reward.

In Conan Exiles, on the other hand, doing things like getting the Scourgestone or obtaining the Pride of Aesir crafting recipe requires investigating on your own, reading the lore you find in the world, and deducing what to do. No quest-giver to click on, no map markers, no “go there, do this” stuff on your screen.

I wouldn’t mind more of that, but MMORPG-style quests? No, thanks.

6 Likes

I think your right only because the feats lore in El is 100x better than siptah’s RNG…put knowledge feats in quests to make it fun…like rpg fun vs Vegas fun

1 Like

MMORPG quests? No thank you xD

6 Likes

:thinking:

1 Like

God no. No ‘Please deliver these 10 bear arse’s to this npc that’s standing 5 ft to my left’ type quests.

3 Likes

Couldn’t agree more! Absolutely no place for that sh*t in Conan! No way!

2 Likes

Wow, couldn’t have said it better my self guys.

OP, don’t let this discourage you from sharing ideas though, your next idea may be a winner. :wink:

3 Likes

If you want quest ask alpha if U grind x will give you Y.

Most quest morpg is dumb but rigged as best way to xp vs killing mobs.

And don’t forget: Getting that staff energized from the Bat King dude and figuring out what to do with it - so many “quests” from just that.

1 Like

From personal experience, quests are a waste of development time. They’re useful on maps that lack resources other maps have and you can use them to make those available. But that is about it.

Outside of that, people might do them out of curiosity. But after that they are ignored. The typical Conan Exile player isn’t interested in doing chores. And I’d gather even the typical MMORPG player isn’t even interested, but they typically don’t have a choice.

You’d have to make them mandatory in some form and that is not going to go over well.

1 Like

Just make up your own quests. It’s a sandbox game.

1 Like

You make your own quests or others may request things from you and that would be your quest.

1 Like

have you played Age of Conan before? It is a themepark version of Conan Exiles with quests and raids and all that MMORPG stuff.

1 Like

I am in the inbetween.

Do I want quest-givers that thell me what to do? Not really…

Do I want some sort of random events? Sure!

For example:

• Sometimes a caravan appears in the Exiled Lands (or a merchant fleet on the Isle of Siptah) and you can loot them if you want. They would have a random route, and a random special item that you can bring to a certain merchant (just like with the case of 100 pearls at the pirate bay - heh heh!) to get some cool lewt.
  • Or as I mentioned before: tribe/race wars! Random encounters between them, and whoever you attack first, that band will be your enemy. So you can choose to be offensive or defender.
  • Add new merchant-types: game hunters. If you decide to kill a Forest king, but don’t want to leave its head there, you can bring it to the hunter for cash (or something else). Aaaaaand add frost/undead ragon heads to the game!!! This way the heads would have an other usage other than fluidpressing them, or add as decoration (I don’t know about you guys, but I NEVER used more than one piece of decoration crafted from the same animal’s head).
3 Likes

Heck yeah ^

Sadly the Conan AI is too stupid to execute events haha, and needs rework (a working rework, a seriously working rework not just a fix it should work, I hope the devs will finally realise the lack of AI brain inside a AI, I hope the devs finally take complaints about AI serious) before such thing can be added.

1 Like

I think the direction that Dennis and Matt are going with the World Events is a good direction. Granted, we’ve only had a taste, we really have no idea what they plan to do in terms of making the Maps feel alive.
I do not see myself running around doing fetch quests like many MMORPGs have.

2 Likes

I agree. They definitely look like they are heading in that direction which will keep the game fresh. I’m also hoping they work on the Thrall system to bring in a kind of RIMWORLD experience where the thralls could have a bit more presence in the game although not to the micromanaging extent that RIMWORLD takes it.

2 Likes

I think what we need is trade. Very similar to what they did with the NPC’s trading gold/silver for eggs and pets, except on a wider scale.

You should be able to walk into Sepermeru or the Island north of Siptah and sell anything to the vendors there. Likely for a small amount of gold, or silver. Then you should be able to buy 90% of common resources with a few exceptions. You would be the loser in terms of trade efficiency, to keep things reasonable. Mining then selling 100,000 stone would not let you buy 100,000 elephant hide for example. But it should be possible for people to bring their excess, make a bit of gold/silver, then spend their gold/silver on goods they value.

This would create a social area on PvE servers as well as a danger zone for players on PvP servers.

I want to mine a bunch of stone and wood, walk north, sell it to an NPC, and then buy some brimstone or coal. Stuff that’s difficult for me to easily acquire in “my” neighborhood.

2 Likes

Seems to work fine on Savage Wilds.

2 Likes