Is someone Griefing?

There is a potential system that would minimize this problem, but I’m not sure how to set the flags.

If someone is found griefing (primarily a PvP suggestion) after a warning or some kind of notice, make him visible on the overhead map as a target. You may be surprised at how many times they will die, just from sport.

I know if I were a designated target in a PvP environment, I might just move servers and learn a lesson.

What confounds me is how to determine if a player repeatedly exhibits this behaviour or if someone is just pissed at him. It may lead to someone being a griefer just by calling someone else a griefer.

Not trying to present a solution, just planting a seed.

Regards

jim

Yeah it’s been suggested before, but really it would just mean the griefers would turn this tool into a weapon in their arsenal, nothing more. Is “griefing” really a big deal on PvP though? I thought the ability to “deal with” nuisances was supposed to be one of the prime advantages of that ruleset compared to PvE.

Good answer, Mikey, and thanks for taking the time to respond thoroughly. It would tend to drive PvP towards PvE, clearly not a good thing.

I am out of my area, so I think shutting up would be my best move :slight_smile:

Regards

jim

2 Likes

No need to “shut up” Jim lad, just remember the golden rule of PvP: If it can be abused, it will be abused.

3 Likes

Got it !

Regards

jim

That’s the golden rule of any multiplayer online game. I’ve never played one without people trying to exploit bugs to their advantage.

Not only in PvP, it’s a LIFE golden rule, sadly.

3 Likes

Only if we introduce a purpose to the equation. Without a purpose, there are no results of deviation; no sample sizes that can show us indifference in the pattern between those that aren’t welcome and those that are (if everything is welcome that is, in a way).

Giving something a purpose is to try channel behaviour into having directions with different values essentially.

What I’ve gathered…

To nullify abuse of exploits effectively, as the second best approach, one would need to make sure they don’t code them in. Third best thing is to correct the abused structure. The best one is to actually allow abuse, but channeled in a way that fills a role bringing about a full circle of competitive features. In essence, making the best out of everything is to not only narrow down possibilities and building walls, but housing models of behaviour; unleashing them in a multitude of arenas that cultivate them all, in an equally fun manner, at different times and queues. :yum:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.