Game mode: Online official
Type of issue: Bug since forever
Server type: Any
I have never seen the Shelter mechanic ever work correctly. It is annoying when you are listening to the wind howl at full volume inside your building, it is even weirder when you suddenly get full shelter buff while just standing near a building. All forms of weather are inside the building, and the shelter buff itself is never stable, I could be standing on the same foundation, move ever so slightly and suddenly it is off again.
I am a software developer myself, and it appears you have a serious flaw in the algorithm somewhere. However, as players, we have no way of communicating what is wrong, or how to verify that we are following the rules the shelter algorithm is checking for. This is particularly frustrating for the in-game experience. We need a way to know what all the explicit rules of shelter are, and a built-in way to recheck them ( preferably via an admin command to tell where the low shelter building pieces are ).
- Could you help us out here and list all the rules the shelter algorithm is using?
- Provide a way to diagnose problems via an admin command and generate output that will be helpful to you to reproduce the problem and fix it.
- Does the side of a wall that is facing a player matter? I have read many player anecdotes of how they fixed problems by flipping pieces around, however, I have many buildings where I have two rooms next to each other and the best room with shelter is the one that has a mixture of outside walls and inside walls all facing inside the building.
- What is wrong with doors? I would expect that a door should be considered a solid wall when there is a door and it is closed, or it is not a wall when the door is open. However, regardless of the state of the door, the shelter buff goes away partially or fully when near a doorframe. Please consider doors and door frames as just simple solid walls, instead of partial walls as they seem to be now.
- Do walls with windows matter? I would hope they don’t, and it should be as simple as doorframes as above.
I would highly recommend that you error on the side of player game experience, than to be overly conservative and making it just an annoying experience to be partially sheltered inside a building all the time. In fact, if the algorithm is too complex, simplify it so that we are sheltered when we are near a building regardless. I would rather be sheltered while outside and near a building than be unsheltered and taking sandstorm damage while working at the blacksmith inside my own building.
Help us help you though, if you need better data, or if we aren’t following the rules very well, give us a way to diagnose the problem and to provide better data back to you.
Please provide a step-by-step process of how the bug can be reproduced. The more details you provide us with the easier it will be for us to find and fix the bug:
- build a house,
- move around in it,
- shelter buff is constantly changing without any doors being open.