Just to recap some forum posts that have been showing up

A quick search for terms like “balance”, “viability” and other trendy words from the vernacular of the MMORPG will show up many posts speaking about the following situation which is the one I have been relating to:

“I was gladly playing the game without visiting forums and official discords, until some changes prompted me to check the forums and learn that the changes were prompted by vocal players flooding the forums”.

One of the most literal messages of this sort I saw answering the question about the fact that there is no core game control over players acts other than admin powers and server setup.

However those responses are all around the forum in relation to changes that the “playerbase” ask for.

I am sure the devs know this, however they have legitimate reasons to not take this so hardly, but forum posters are not the majority or a signficant part of the playerbase. And if forums were not being lately a strong driving force of some decisions, it would be a lesser chunk yet, because people in general like the game as it is and do not care about some details some forum posters hold so dearly.

If you take the routine of checking out the posting history of most complaints about issues that are non-issues, you see most of these posters complaining are mass complainers about just anything, from the color of a given armor, to the order of the hairs in the character creation (yes, there is one such case).

So yes, people who are actually happy with the game cant just not care about the forum, and we must come here and express our disagreement with things that trend in forums, otherwise the game is being changed by forum feedback alone, and changing things that many people liked just because no one came here to say it is good as it is.

And I would like, and I often tell people I play with or in my discord, to come and tell the things they like so no one go changing them because some people who would complain about anything gets things changed and then go complain about everything just to have something to complain about.

9 Likes

So you’re complaining about the complainers? And to your point not to just take Forum Feedback as to how player’s feel, Maybe these player’s should post how they feel so the Dev teams knows how they feel. it’s like a Certain President winning an Election and you saying that’s not how we all feel or agree with the outcome…Ok well go Vote.

1 Like

I always find it ironic that players in these forums believe they can tell the devs they need to be fired, that they don’t care, that they’re incompetent. That they make a mess all the time. And other abusive insults.

But then play the victim when its done to them. Or not even that, that we’re white knights for even criticizing either their criticisms or insults.

Here’s how this works. If you insult people, devs or players, you’ll get an insult back. And don’t cry if the devs take favortism against you if you’ve insulted them. I don’t blame them for that. If you make criticisms (which are fine as long as they’re not abusive). Don’t cry foul when someone criticizes it.

I’ve even had people tell me to not respond to their comments or threads. As if THEY own the place. Its an open discussion. If you don’t like criticisms, if you don’t like certain people, then don’t post. Cause anything that is posted is fair game.

An interesting complaint I’ve seen on this topic is someone suggesting modders were upset that they weren’t given enough time to get their mods in order. Well in the modding discord (where Funcom does speak with and helps modders nearly in real time) I didn’t see anyone ask for an extension.

Of course the person suggesting it was not even a modder.

But just like voters in an election who don’t vote basically cast their lot to the majority. If any modders aren’t speaking up in the discord. Then they’re signaling that everything is peachy going forward.

Some modders are taking a while. One of my favorite mods is still not updated. But the authors are not complaining. They had alot of work ahead of them. And they want to get it right. They were going to have to do the work they are doing now anyway. So they’re taking the time to do it now.

But so far, I’ve not seen any modders complain. Just people complaining that their favorite mod is still broke and not fixed yet. Well its been 12 days since the devkit was updated and 7 days since it was hotfixed. How much time do they need? And should all of Conan Exiles PC have to wait for them to get caught up? Remember these patches have fixes and balance changes for unmodded servers too. Combined with official and non-official they make up a sizable minority (about a quarter).

6 Likes

I’m wondering, how do you know that most “non forum users” are happy?

We surely don’t know if they are dissatisfied because they don’t come here to talk, but assuming that this precisely means that everyone else is fine and happy with the changes, doesn’t make much sense to me.

The game is sitting at 77% rating through steam recent reviews, while the expansion is at whooping 50%.

Are these people also massive whiners that don’t deserve to be heard? At what point your community, even if stupid, becomes the majority of players and it becomes a good idea to follow their whiny complaints?

1 Like

Being in the discords of a few large servers and being in popular modding discords, while watching their general chats. Its all anecdotal but personally I see people more or less content with a few gripes earlier in the week due to downtime from modding. Generally talking to people on servers as well.

That’s one way to do it.

So lets define a whine:

“The changes to Survival are bad and you should feel bad”
“Funcom made a mess!”
“This is Getting old and Tedious Funcom”

Now I’m just going by thread titles and not the content. We’re ain’t got all day for that.

But just reading those titles, how are they as constructive as:

“After change, purpose of fish besides food?”
“Second consecutive day with delay, lag, and kicks…”
“I don’t get the design choices behind the vanity mirror”
“Frustrated with the 2.1 patch”

Again focusing on just the titles and not the content of the thread.

If I’m a dev. Why would I bother reading a thread where the title outright insults me? I’ve got bugs to fix, a pandemic to worry about, and probably mouthes to feed at home. They work and live just like regular people. So why should they bother sifting through abuse and insults?

Imagine you’re a waiter and a few tables are calling you dumb, saying you don’t care, and claiming you should be fired. Maybe because the Co2 ran out on the sodas or something. Its not going to be a great time. Now should anyone put up with that sort of abuse just for trying to do their job.

A simple, “hey my soda’s flat, can you get me another?”

Just like many servers do honesly want your experience while eating to be a good one. These devs do truly want our experience in Conan to be good.

This isn’t to say we can’t make suggestions, or critiques, point out bugs, make reports, and so forth. Just show a little respect. I don’t see why that is so outrageous or controversial.

I’ve made HEAVY criticism of Funcom in the past. I’ve never insulted them, and I’ve never been abusive to them. And you know what? 9 times out of 10 they fix the bug, correct the issue, or make the balance change that I suggest (or at least a change that leans in that direction).

I’m not the only one in that regard. Many of the modders have helped Funcom make changes and given ideas. Modders understand the game on a level normal players simply can’t. And modders being players themselves also understand the game in ways Funcom sometimes lacks. Lets be honest, devs are rarely masters of their own games. That goes for any game.

Conan Exiles has its issues. Funcom has alot on its plate. I love this game as much as many of you. But how are we going to get this fixed insulting the devs? Seriously? Are we seriously going to think guilt tripping them through peer pressure is going to make the game better? Or is it just a cheap form of entertainment? Ask yourselves that honest question.

8 Likes

On one hand in the same post you say it’s an open forum and people can express them self’s how they want, on the other you complain how they do that. But to keep this on track, the few threads you talked about, people aren’t happy, what’s the big deal, why does it bother you so much?

I saw these threads since 2.1, saw the title read a bit of it and yup “That person ain’t happy” and moved on.

Everyone is different and get their point across different ways or try to do that and it comes out as pure anger, so what.

The person who directed to the Steam Rating for Siptah is on to something as a whole It’s Mixed 50/50, saw that when I did my review It said “Mixed Reviews” So Yes as a whole the community isn’t happy as you claim.

This is irrelevant. We all agreed to the terms of the forums.

We’re all different, but we agreed to be the same. So if you need to rage because you’re frustrated at the devs, do it into a pillow. Otherwise it will get reported, delisted, and deleted.

So let the Mods worry about that, not you, that’s the point. But this seems to have just been created to complain about the complainers.

Savage truth spoken by this KorgFoehammer. What a beast.

Oh hell yes! This guy gets it. Funcom should stick to their guns with these recent balance changes and NOT listen to most, if not all, of the criticisms. These balance changes are taking the game in the right direction.

Sometimes medicine tastes bad, but you gotta take it.

More savage truth… Taemien the Bold is on a roll lately.

Holy hell the nads on this guy. Mad props. Heads are gonna s’plode with that comment.

1 Like

Taking into consideration the number of people who do post in forums and getting the ones who actively complain about the things in the game, and comparing to the number of people that actually play the game by the average number of people online in Conan Exiles (Steam API), you see that even if you discount the fact that people in forums might not be people who often play the game, it still a fraction of the number of people who play the game.

If not even half of the forum posters step on this issues to support them, it is safe to assume this issues are not a point of contention that make people come here to contend about them.

If there is one assumption that can be logically made of absence is not that people do not complain because they dont want to or dont think it works, like many imply, it means they are happy with what they have enough to not go through the process of coming here and manifesting their supposed malcontent.

One thing is a person saying out of frustration in a server they wish something were different, another a person who truly thinks something should be different. I might wish sometimes that I had a money tree in my yard, that does not mean I would be behind the idea of creating a tree that fruits money.

Like a I was criticized for saying before, reverse feed is one thing, saying what you want the game to be is another. reverse feeding is understanding why something is made as it is, and under that manifesting your opinion on how good or bad that something is performing, and how it impacts in the overall game. A good example is stack sizes: Stack sizes are not made to “facilitate transport”, and one of the things they are designed for is to make it more difficult to transport things and expose you to attack, to time consuming activity, to limits of storage, and etc. It is obvious that it will frustrate many people in the process, so does dying, so does being struck, and those take part on the game. While mods change stacksizes, this should be mod territory only, because for the sake of multiple gameplay strategies and possibilities, having stacksizes of 1000 for some seemingly “irrelevant” items can create a chain of events that eliminate chunks of gameplay. That does not stop many people to complain about the stacksizes for the sole reason they are “annoyed by having to carry them as they are”.

A lot of “economics” in the game are subject to the same kind of “reverse feeding” that is non reverse feeding about issues that are non issues.

And here a good example is the fact that the real word I am referring to when I use reverse feed is a forbidden word. Why on Earth that would be needed if not to prevent posts talking about it ?

I’m just thinking you’re a troll… you see FUNCOM as perfect. FUNCOM is a disaster when it come to update, hotfixes and DLC’s. No other game is this bad and they ruin modded servers constantly without a care in the world. I even renamed them SLOWfixes when it comes to FUNCOM, if they fix it at all. They just let us clean up their horrible mess… 10 pages of code errors because they chose to change their item codes. They need to take responsibility for their terrible actions and you need to stop defending them and back off of people expressing true frustration and abuse. I’m representing an entire community not just myself… I’m mad for them being mad that they can’t play on their beloved server, because of FUNCOM.

Stop reading at this point.

I have my criticism of them manifest, and I dont think they are perfect.
What I think is that all the sluge of non sense that follows these kind of statements are an unjust and unfounded chain of accusations that I myself could not stand behind.

If any legitimate criticism is to be made, it is straight forward, reasonable and made in a civil manner. Once you start calling out for the mindless debate 7 stack, you lose your reason.

For an “in depth analysis” on what the mindless debate 7 stack is, or why I dont care, vide https://esav.zohosites.com/sarcastic-faq .

Yeah, completely agree that offensive titles are useless. And seems like the more rude the title is, the less sensical the actual post will be.
I just don’t want every negative complaint to be put on the same bag as these people, you know? Yes, some morons will make these posts. But then you might read the actual replies in it, and then there you may find some useful feedback.
Its not like every single person will write a new post to give their two cents, and sometimes, even these rude whining posts get the conversation going. Take the "This is Getting old and Tedious Funcom”
Aside from your average “funcom bad!” There are a lot of people voicing their concerns in a good way. If devs simply ignore of flag these posts, these comments would never be there. And i don’t think that most of the people involved would make a more fitting post just to talk about it.

4 Likes

Very doubtful, but its your fantasy, tell it any way you like it.

4 Likes

At least Blackthorn said they represent “an entire community”, and not “the entire community”. It’s possible that their local community of two or three or even ten people have one voice.

1 Like

Is this even a insult? Its more a general statement about updates and patches… and one I agree with. (for topic title anyway)
On one hand… its Early access, and stuff is gonna be broken… and needs adjusting.

On other, I’ve gotten enough broken updates to ps4 that have broken characters who need be deleted or outright destroyed my hard work. That ya… its getting old. Funcom has proven several times there quality insurance team is not doing its job in slightest.

Consoles anyway… Early Access is just that… I expect stuff to be broken and needs adjusting.

=3

As Dev Stream noted, Constructive criticism works better then “this sucks” At certain point… maybe get updates right 1st time? I can see why people are so angry and just
“can’t even right now” flicks hair
lol

There not pointless, there just not helpful. I get sick of reading thru them to… but at same time, its clear sign Funcom needs to step up its game. (and internet needs to **** the **** off)

I play FO76 as well, there forums are pretty much same… alot of stuff that needs fixing after year. I’m pretty sure 76 is worse off right now. (Console versions anyway)

CE is running pretty good most of time… long wait for next years patch thou…

1 Like

It is hard for some people to understand the difference between “it does not work” from “it is not good for me”.

Like I said before, when you complain a limitation limits you, all you are saying is “it works as intended”.

I can understand why things are put in the game to limit me. I can understand that a game is not meant to be made so everyone has the same things, the same powers. It is made for people have the possibility of reaching the same things, the same powers.

When a change is made to facilitate people in performing the same things others took a while to learn, instantly, it is a “dumb down”, it is “making it easy”.

There are many legitimate PvP requests that influence the PvE game, but many changes were made in response to forum posts that make the game worse for PvE and make PvP much easier, so what is there is just people bashing each other’s heads using anything the same way, no strategy, no tactics. That is not good for the game at all, and that is not why someone comes to play Conan Exiles instead of any of the free to play garbage that already gives non sense PvP to everyone.

And the same way people complain they want “Smashbro game” (you just go around “rotating” mash buttons), mindlessly, I want the game to keep its aspects, like you having to control you character while fighting, and not just landing blows because you select an enemy to receive it. I want the game to not feature guided “spell slinging” that finds people around corners or just from the press of a button and TAB to choose who to hit. I dont want the game to change the crafting process so people can put things to be crafted and just wait around. I dont want the game to feature thralls that simply “drop unconscious” for you to take them to the Wheel of Pain. I dont want to just mash truncheon until the thrall goes down, without care to just rough it up a bit, or have to strategize to get into a position I can do it without having to fight a mob.

It is very strange that people claim they want balance and engaging, when what they ask to “remove obstacles” to their objectives.

2 Likes

What is the current opinion of the game overall? I know everything that happened at first, the bag/nuka cola/bugs/hacks and such, but now no one even talks about the game anymore. Is it worth its price now?

Cept I don’t think they are perfect:

There’s one of my more recent criticisms of Funcom’s balance concerning the complexity and difficulty of PVE content. No anger, no abuse, no insults.

Two years ago when we left Early Access, I was downright brutal concerning their changes to Archery. I laid it on them. But again I never insulted them, and I wasn’t abusive. I just picked apart everything they said in live streams, backed up my complaints with numbers, facts, and even built a mod to fix the issues they broke (at least in my opinion).

The end result? They fixed it. Was it because of what I did? Maybe not, but I like to think I made a case that many agreed with. I know several thousand people downloaded my mod (2001 still have it subscribed… don’t do that, its deprecated, Funcom made fixes people! I haven’t taken it down for posterity reasons). Including two top Conan Servers at the time boasting 70/70 at primetime.

So let me ask this question.

Do you want your issues fixed? Or do you simply want to vent?

If you want the first, do as I do and have done. It yields results. The latter just leads to frustration as they will ignore you, and you will simply get locked, deleted, and actioned. If all you want to do is vent, use a pillow.

Like I said, this should not be as controversial as it is.

3 Likes

So honest answer.

The Wastelanders update brought NPCs to world. So right out of vault you meet people now!

Some locations got npc… which for most part is 1 random npc at location who does little to long time player. To new player? there sort of guiding hand to some of revamped quests.

2 main faction towns… are 1 npc for daliy. (raiders have 2) alot of npc filler who have banter but nothing. Its not ES/FO game were if you spent time exploring town you’d walk away with abunch of quests.

Alot of fixes have made it better overall. But things like Bloodly builds are still meta. Map still loads abit weird in some locations. Theres abunch of minor bugs and broken things. Better overall.
Inventory is still 800… and requires pay wall if you want proper storage.
PVP has Battle royal mode (not bad) PVP in adventure mode is still pretty one sided.
RNG is still hell hole.

One Wasteland(everything scale to your level)(lv5 player sees lv5 deathclaw, you see a lv100 if at lv 300)… is a dumpster fire. (personal opinion) Every fight is now a fight for your life… no more using random weapons in low level zone to pass time.
As someone who has never won RNG game for good weapon. Most stuff is damage sponge to me.

Over-all… its so much better now, then it was before…but still has a ways to go. They just had a free weekend up.

To get it or not…
Are you bored of Fallout 4? And need more fallout? 76 is more Fallout.

I describe fallout 76 same way I describe Metal Gear Solid V… its Best and Worst game of series. XD

I’m enjoying it, Thou I’m abit burnt out on RNG issues. Much like Destiny… I spent years grinding and have nothing good to show for it.
Its 15-20$ game?

1 Like