Lack of offensive casting 3.0

with what they showed I didn’t see much of a way to cast spells in an offensive way and make sorcerers dangerous the way they are, making them targets in many clashes.

Of course I’m not talking about the possibility of casting “Fireballs”, but something besides the common spells, capabilities like draining your enemy at the cost of corrupting yourself, casting eldritch energy to blow up your enemies, I wouldn’t like to see only elemental things or nature but an energy that corrupts and devours everything in its path

Sorcerers in magic settings such as in the Hyborian Age still require using axes, swords, clubs, or bow and arrow to kill many of their foes outright. As you can see in the image (provided by Multigun’s livestream recap), sorcerers will be able to augment their physical abilities if they wish.

2 Likes

That’s not how magic works in the Hyborian age. Sorcery is about bloody rituals and dark gods. You never see stories where there’s a wizard levelling his destruction skills skyrim style because that’s just simply not how it works.

Sorcery is not meant to be a combat replacement. Even in the books, they still have to fight to defend themselves or find a way to utilize some alternative means to avoid fighting. You’ve got invisibility, darkness, raising undead and cavorting with demons on your side. If you can’t leverage those to your gain maybe dabbling in the dark arts isn’t for you.

6 Likes

I heard that the caster will look pretty offensive once indulged into the corruption.

1 Like

they said that they have not intention of replacing melee combat because that is not what conan is about.

you have countless of other high fantasy games based in magic combats of fireballs or lighting.

and i am so glad it is like that.

2 Likes

If you make sorcery any different like they did now its gonna be impossible to balance for pvp i feel like

1 Like

I think there should be offensive magic, especially since sorcerrers will have very low hp due to corruption. I was hoping to have some fireballs in there.
However, they could add more arrow types like frost arrows, electric arrows or arrows that deal more magic effects. We already have firespark, smoke. Wish they would add damage to light arrows so we can use them against undead.

i completely disagree, the role given here is perfect to the world of conan.
Support magic at best and tactical spells to apply in certain moments.
i can imagine hundreds of different tactics i could make with the new spells and perks
and the fact that it makes you vulnerable its prety great, power comes with a prize.

5 Likes

To clarify why the sorcery in the Conan setting is set the way it is in R.E. Howards stories and why Funcom is perfectly respecting that vision.

Political Satire.

The sorcerers in Howard’s work were a play on how politicians corrupt sense of power often tends to lead them to crave more by sacrificing the lives of those who follow them rather than doing things themselves. This is why most of them like Thoth Amon are written as highly charismatic megalomaniacs with extremely large groups of fanatic or enthralled followers.

So I say the way Funcom handled sorcery would put a smile on Howards face. Anyone who doesn’t like that neither respects this franchise nor has a competent understanding of its content and should leave such discussions to those who do and go play Citadel: Forged in Fire instead.

2 Likes

+1 to sorcerers in conan not being high magic high fantasy D&D fireball sorcerers. If you are into that there are plenty of (pretty much every other) fantasy games out there that delve into that type of wizard.

2 Likes

LOL
I was hoping my argument was more of a slam dunk than a +1 but glad my point was made.

And considering how those rituals require human sacrifice, I’m sure many people (both in-game and the real world) will be offended by sorcery and sorcerers.

1 Like

How would explosive arrows be any different than a fireball? What’s there to balance?

i doubt that a fireball would deal the same damage like an explosive arrow because then it would be kinda useless and not even worth implementing tbh

Are you aware that Age of Calamity uses reskined bows and arrows for its magic system? I don’t think there’s anything to balance if offensive spells would be implemented like this.
Your answer much like everything I see on these forums, are proof that people don’t want to look for alternatives to better gameplay and prefer to parrot everything Funcom is saying.
These forums are quickly turning into a cult rather than a place where people have their own opinions. I know it’s cool to say “but muh conan universe don’t have spellz blabla Hyborian age”

Offensive spells/ alternate ways of combat in Conan Exiles would make me a happy customer. I don’t care about the books.

Why don’t you go play ESO then?

Funcom does not want Conan Exiles to be like any other high fantasy game. They stick to the lore (most of the times) and want something totally different than any other fantasy game that implements magic.

1 Like

The main issue is that there are mods for that kind of thing, a fact that you helpfully pointed out. There needs to be a demarcation between tools for modding and the base game. For many many players, the base game is solidly based on Conan lore and draws its niche from that space. Saying “I don’t care about the books” is a bit like going into a chess game and declaring that “you don’t care about the game” and demanding everyone play Go instead.

I have a similar taste in gameplay, indeed, I have found Fictorum to be a very enjoyable game that deserves more coverage than it gets, however this isn’t necessarily the place for that. I could see items forged in rituals being de facto “instant spell casting”, as I have suggested in another thread, however, that ought to be the limit in this game. Sorcery is meant to be dark and twisted, with the barbarian being the “good guy” to kill them. The closest you will come to traditional high fantasy would be sorcerers that only sacrifice the willing in exchange for something of similar value to the sacrificee. Hence, having fireballs and the like don’t really fit. Explosive arrow does fit, and that is why it is there.

LOL!
CE really is a niche game based on lore, and we, the “cult” prefer it that way, thank you very much.
We do NOT want it to mirror every other fantasy game in the world, and prefer the Hyborean Age to the age of WOW.

It went right over his head, unfortunately.

3 Likes

Who’s we?

I’ve processed every bit of information from this topic and I’ve concluded that I want offensive spells and I don’t care about the books.

We, means the majority of players. You are free to open an opinion poll on Twitter or the like and get a random sample. I could help with that if you wish.