Lightning Storm should not do building damage

There has been some speculation around here that the storm might be targeting foundations.
As such it does not do too much damage to a “normal” building…
However PvP players like stacking foundations on top of each-other… (so they can build very ugly buildings, I’m sure of it!)… and if lightning does damage everything in the path that would explain how foundations closer to the top would take not only their damage, but the one targeted at the bottom one as well?
Could be used as a “pretty up your damn buildings PvP people” feature :thinking: :smiley:

You should test the storm internally with 100% building hit chance. Then test it on an average PvP base like “Eye that never closes”.

So you can see and evaluate the “worst case” scenario and balance based on that.

Keep in mind that people WILL spam storms after each other. They WILL abuse it if it is too strong.

2 Likes

yes it simply need to play the game to see it…

Not quite. Foundations should be connected to meshes whenever possible.

Stacked foundations are useless, because you break the lowest one and the whole wall collapses.

2 Likes

Oh, I’m not debating their usefulness (or lack of it) lol :slight_smile:
I’m just saying it’s a thing… you have probably seen those silly massive forts made of foundations too :smiley:
I never said those people are actually good at it haha, however if the speculation of lightning seeking foundations is indeed true, then the more of them you have the more damage your base suffers

1 Like

Yes ofc

1 Like

I built a “normal” building in my 30 minute video. I used proper honeycomb that’s allowed on officials aka start with foundation then the rest is ceilings, walls, and rooftop intersections. LS still hollows out a base like that extremely easy.

You can find this video from one of the posts I referenced in my first post (first post of this thread).

I realy hope this lightening spell gets a big nurf even no damage to buildings raiding sould be explosives and gods not just sat on a roof casting but we all know that o nce the update dropped somthing would be broken

And yet I see stacked foundations on so many servers.

Thanks very much for the dialogue here. If there was more communication between FC and the community there wouldnt be so much vitriol imo.
Also please look into whats causing placed bombs to not cause the propery aoe damage. It seems bombs only really work on something it is placed ontop of and randomly anywhere else.

5 Likes

Making it a channeled spell is a pretty good idea too, fits well into the theme of a sorcerer needing to continue to conjure their power to maintain a spell. I like it. Solo player trolls would be exposed instead of just hit and run and group players would have to protect their caster.
I dont mind god bubbles blocking LS either, woukd be the easier option to incorporate. Should god bubbles also destroy bats too , negate any sorcereies within or would that be too much? Archers arent always reliable even if you have 20 shooting at the bat.

and seem poison arrow + explosive arrow do now x4 damage, wanted or not ?

poison arrow fired after explosive jar blowed, and burning, do not more create an explosion due to gaz, wanted or not.

and yes actually bomb only do most of the time vertical damage only if placed on top, but not always…

asking people to post vids or get out is lame. feedback doesn’t require evidence or proof, it’s feedback. and personally, so long as there’s people on here asking for LS nerf, I will stick around and ask that it not be nerfed.

has anyone else not noticed that you can cancel an enemy’s LS? i mean, this doesn’t solve ‘offline’ raid, but if you’re online defending your base, you can literally cancel out the enemy’s LS. boom, problem solved. and counters to bats? been there done that. i’m not gonna sit here and do other people’s work for them and let my tricks out of the bag, but it’s doable. people just aren’t thinking outside the box.

and before anyone says you’d have to be online to make this work; yea, ya do. just like defending against bombs or avatars. the point being, even though those arguably take more time to farm, there’s still only one real way to defend against them - be online. if you can’t handle that, then maybe the pvp server isn’t for you. and no, i’m not online all the time, and i build accordingly. and have been wiped off a server many times, but i love the thrill of the game, which is why i’m still there playing.

1 Like

A dev just confirmed that LS shouldn’t be one-shotting T3. It’s a bug. So in this context, it’s not a nerf, it’s a bugfix we’re asking for. Thanks and have a great day being the devils advocate.

3 Likes

and are you playing for real ? are you sitting in your base 5h per day every day to cancel a ls in case of ? and do you call that playing a game ? only one LS storm hit can in actual state blow entirely a 3 square foundation from ground to top … you don’t see a problem ?

counter to bat really ? you heard about slow fall ? and your thralls IA will be stuck anyways in 90% of case, even without using slow fall to jump down fromt he bat.

problem is not to be wiped or not (and i have probably been wipe dozens of time and even more), problem is to be wiped by something that cost nothing to farm, no time to use, and that give 0 mn offline to defender. and that is more powerfull than a god, and that it’s called game balance. before 3.0 a base well built with bubble was giving you 10-20mn offline, and in some case even more. LS and sorcery give you no right to be offline. and what the point to spend 20 h to build a base if you know that your attacker will have to spend 15m to totally wipe it. i think you have not yet been raided by LS, neither by 10 people jumping on your roof with slow fall from a bat.

i play on 3 offi server pvp, i saw 70% of people quitting after been wiped by LS so easily in the past 10 days and i had 2 bases totally wiped that in past sustained hundred of raid those last 3 years.

1 Like

note my previous reply -

i play official pvp too. in fact, just had 8 people try to raid our base last night, with LS, and with bombs. only 2 people from our clan were on to defend, and for 5 hours they defended and we prevailed. woohoo!

but had we been completely offline, which happens, yea, they probably would’ve been in our base in about 30 minutes and we’d be toast. and this has happened to us. and that woulda been with bombs, not LS, because our base is virtually immune. and had it happened again, we’d be back again.

i can’t speak to people quitting, other than to say, funcom has set up a brutal, pvp sandbox, and it’s not for everyone. i’m completely fine at the moment with LS.

the only ground i’d give is to make LS not penetrate a bubble, or able to cast in a bubble. this would provide offline protection to LS, just like with an avatar. but my favorite part of LS is that a solo player can get on and do seriously annoying damage to large clans. time and again i see large clans who do have the time to daily grind wipe people off servers. LS basically gives solo players or small groups the chance to go after these larger clans, even if nothing but to just wreck their stuff for the heck of it.

LS is unpredictable, cannot be channeled, and in the case of large bases, you are likely not to get loot because bags will despawn faster than you can get to them. Is it a troll to do this? Maybe. But no worse than what most of these large clans or alphas do to others (literally what we’re dealing with right now on our server by a 10 man group). And for that, I’m grateful for LS.

1 Like

so in fact you have no problem with LS because you are in one of the three spots that are immune to LS ?

they probably failed because bomb are bugged too, and only do damage vertically only without area effect in 90% of case, but that not a problem probably too…

i agree that is interesting tor solo player, but as i said now as a solo player you can plays naked with a chest, which is not the definition of a fair and balanced game.

and what i experienced and saw is toxic 4-5 people clan having fun to totally wipe solo players in using mass storm, which means total wipe.

2 Likes

this is a problem. but it’s been a problem since the game started in early access. it’s a problem not unique to conan either. and one i’d like to see some better fixes too. but as of right now, it’s a problem that solo or small clans, without much time to play, have no tools really at their disposal save now for LS.

i’m NOT opposed to FC fixing things, trying to give efforts to provide balance to the game, etc etc. and if LS is a mistake as-is, for me it’s a happy one, because of the issue i laid out. i remember when trebs were a go-to for solo players because they were actually an effective tool. if we could go back to those days, LS could be done away with. but trebs right now just don’t do justice, and they haven’t for a long time. in fact (i have not tested this in live), in testlive for 3.0, demonfire barrage wasn’t even working. i’m not going to defend FC and their, well, challenges they seem to have providing some balance to the sandbox pvp environment. many, many suggestions have been made by many people, some of which are really good ideas, but FC is struggling to actually do something. the only direction they seem to go, is to further enable the environment. so to that, again, LS is welcome.

there are plenty of servers were clans have gone scortched earth on the server. and LS does indeed make that worse. but that is a behavior issue that can’t be solved by nerfing or taking sorcery away.

2 Likes

Unfortunately it is not wierd. It is normal Funcom obtuse vision of raid pvp.

Sucks, i know. But a brain dead monkey would have been able to do the basic math of 2 alch <<<<<<<40 dp and know that is not balance.

1 Like

I defended against a lightening raid yesterday. We had the roof top covered so they slid down the main building and found a perch to cast.

They cast the lightening and I casted darkness spells while other players tried to get to them and kill em. And, that went on for about 10 lightening spells. I didn’t get my timing down right away for casting the darkness spells and approximate 2 bolts got through. There was a large hole through the middle of our pillared 6 floor base. At least a 5 x 5 section all the way down to the foundations was completely destroyed. All of the crafting stations, chests and thralls in that area gone.

If I had not been there to cast the darkness, the base would be completely gone. And, probably will be in the next couple days as the enemy is wiped but still grinding pouches. All for the cost of 10 weathered skulls and 30 alchemical base. This is completely broken

5 Likes