Lights from lamps shine through walls and floors

Game mode: [Online Official]
Type of issue: [Bug]
Server type: [PvP | PvE-Conflict | PvE]
Region: [USA]

[Lighting from lamps illuminates through walls. While this isn’t a game breaking bug its immersion breaking. Imaging creating a room with great lighting, only to add a lamp to a room next to it and discover that its lighting is also affecting the room next to it which is separated by a wall.

Please provide a step-by-step process of how the bug can be reproduced. The more details you provide us with the easier it will be for us to find and fix the bug:

1. Make two room separated by a wall
  2. Add a lamp on one of the room walls
  3. Watch how despite being separated from a wall, light shines through to the other side.
2 Likes

I agree it can be a pain at times. On the flip side, it’s also nice to be able to hide lamps behind walls to make an area glow in the dark without the light source being visible.

1 Like

that’s right ! Also you can easily spot lighsources in the night from outside, what’s isn’t still top.

But i imagine not still easy to make it work that nothing goes through with buildable elements.
This is also one of the reason i like not to bright lights mostly better, and don’t understand people still asking for brighter lights with more radius.

But some people seems be focused anyway on the bright side, be it for light-sources, textures or whatever, i see that often in video. What often looks agressively bright to me seems just be ok to many. :expressionless:

For PVP servers this is kind of dangerous, since i like to build in secluded spots, but the light always betrays me

I can see this being an issue if you’re trying to hide your base. What do you do to combat that? Do you just keep turning them on/off when you’re not home?

Yup. I have to do that. The real problem is when i have a campfire running, because it can also be used as a light source.

1 Like

You take your lanterns down every time you leave your base. Always destroy campfires, and craft a replacement to keep in the drying rack nearby. Make your second furnace face inward to your other furnace. Place certain things around the furnaces so that the (hidden) glow don’t betray you while rendering. Sounds glamourous, doesn’t it, @PitMonk?

I couldn’t be doing with needing to do that all the time, I’d forget too many times.

don’t use bright lights, use the dim wall lamps

Geez PVP is a real thing !!! we definitely don’t have this immersive and strategical aspect of the game in PVE, it sounds great !!!
Now i admit I don’t know if i should envy PVP or not, since i imagine it can feel kinda annoying from a long term perspective and it must need some extra base management as well.
But why do you DESTROY your campfire then? isn’t it enough to turn it off ?

1 Like

I agree, it looks silly regardless of whether you play PvP or PvE.

It depends on how serious you are about not being found. I think on most servers, one’s self-preservation can be tied to how overt and uninviting are the necessary buildings (like wheel houses), and how hidden and out of sight are the reserve bases. If you hunt for people on a regular basis, you begin to look in the dark for the “tells” of their buildings. Standing on a high vista, for example, and switching your viewpoint quickly can render pinpricks of campfires. If one simply waits during a night cycle atop the rusty rocks near The Den at their pinnacles and pans left or right, he will see the barnacles of bases scattered about, betrayed by nested campfires built into the outer rims, as anti-climb heat protection. Once you see the pattern, you recognize it instantly, and can ultimately find the building.

One of my teammates used to prefer to travel when night fell. I would often rather climb a cliff face and wait it out. Seeking victims in the night… :smiley:

1 Like

You’re right, it completely adds to the “danger in the night” feeling, to leave the fires on. But if i have a base with no windows, it shouldn’t leak any lighting.

But i understand what you mean. I have to go full stealth, no source of fires and etc…

But i think they should add some sort of camouflage, like add leaves to palisades to give a camouflage feeling, you know… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yes camo would be excellent! As it is now we have only a few options like the new Aquilonian Ramps to try and blend out the sharp edges of our cliff dwellings! :male_detective:

The main problem is the game-based limitation of the actual rendering of the campfires, so I try to work around that. Whenever I build my permabase in PVP, I slap down my bedroll and campfire quite a bit distant from my build site. And I never run a campfire anywhere near nightfall.

I do agree the buildings should stop more light from escaping. You can see how holey T1 is, but you’d think things would tighten up in Tier 3, right? One benefit: build at the base of a waterfall, and if you do it correctly the light effect from a Protected Torch inside your building is magical.

I usually build near ore sites, and i use wall lightings, i’m thinking about trying to use a central torch, and see if it leaks any light through the walls. I don’t usually do this because i don’t build a big base, so the central spot that the torch takes might influence my base :stuck_out_tongue: but it’s ok, i’ll try anyways…

Thanks!

Wall torches don’t shine through walls only standing torches and most braziers!

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.