Linux Crashes Excessively

Game mode: Single-player and Co-op
Type of issue: Crash and Performance
Server type: PvE
Region: Central USA
Mods?: yes
Edition: Steam Proton 6.3.8 forced version

Bug Description:

First off, i have to repeatedly start the game 5 to 10 times before the game actually runs. generally even the launcher fails to start and after a few seconds steam registers that conan isn’t running and i can try again. i could deal if this is the only issue.

But conan also crashes repeatedly while in game. It almost looks as if the error reporting system freaks out and force closes the game. I have not found anything to directly contribute to producing this, although repeatedly opening the map or inventory menus does seem to make this more frequent. i am crashing on average every 30 minutes to 2 hours range. If i play 8 hours straight my game crashes anywhere from 2x to 5x.

The crash is super odd too. the report to funcom comes up, but the game is still in the background. and my husband who is on with me on co-op was even able to continue playing for the time being if i ignored the report window. there was no way to close the bug report window without the game force closing.

I am also seeing (unrelated?) mobs respawn rediculously fast. Is it supposed to respawn ALL mobs and crafting nodes when relogging? I killed a mob, crashed, and respawned on top of the same mob. in-game time should have only moved by seconds. it could be that it backdated, but then me and my husband tried taking on a camp. while we were in past the first ring of gards, killing an archer, ALL the mobs respawned in the entire camp. including the ones we had JUST killed seconds ago. we ran, and they all vanished at a certain distance away (the de-agro range?). When we walked back all the spawns had respawned again. and continued doing so almost as soon as we killed one.

This would also make the game unplayable if i can’t even run from an area before mobs respawn.

Installed Mods:

Female new faces
IQoL 3.4.6
Outfit manager Beta 0.3.1
Accessory Wardrobe 4.1.3b

the CtD startup issues happened with 0 mods.

Steps to Reproduce:

Please provide a step-by-step process of how the bug can be reproduced. Please be as detailed as possible; the more details, the easier it will be for us to find and fix the bug:

1. Step 1- attempt to start the game thru steam proton on linux. use command: PROTON_LOG=1 %command%
    (this was the only way to start it sucessfuly by trial and error)
  2. Step 2- play game for anywhere from 5 minutes to 2 hours on average before crashing.

kill mobs/npc’s

sorry if this is indeed 2 seperate issues. i honestly love the game but i’ve never played it on windows. i hear some crashes are normal, but this seems really excesive to me, and the crashes WITH the mobs/npcs respawning makes it unplayable past a certain point.

Linux isnt officially supported. Per the steam shop page.

1 Like

I was going to say…I was actually quite giddy reading the thread title that CE was heading to capable chromebooks…but alas no.

Yeah, unfortunately this isn’t really a bug.

Just saying it isn’t supported isn’t helpful. Steam proton is an official support of linux. Steam Proton works well with most games. This is a bug with the reporting service that literally force CRASHES the game frequently. I can see the “report to funcom” window but im still hosting co op server and my husband can still walk around in my vision for several mintues if i don’t touch anything. If its true that funcom hates linux and refuses to work with them, at least allow me to disable this reporting service so it stops crashing the game.

Non support isn’t hate. While I would love for them to support Linux, many businesses do not support where markets wouldn’t be profitable enough to warrant the resource of support. Linux is one such thing. And just because Steam supports Proton doesn’t mean the game developer does. This sounds likea Proton issue more than a CE issue in this case since Proton fails at providing the Windows environment that it claims it can.

If you are the host then yes, in single-player/co-op your client is acting as the server. If you crash, you are restarting the server which forces everything to respawn. Same goes for whatever is not in render range as the map is loaded in sections when you play single-player. It is a limitation of the game mode which is why the majority of us play or host a server.

As Linux is not supported, Funcom are unlikely to assist you here but maybe there other Linux users that may see your report and offer some solution but I doubt there are many.

So this is the official response of the devs? Since I use linux I am not playing an offically supported platform?