Maelstrom Need to be Changed

Anyone know what gives a server a heart attack? Yeah, farmers harvesting maelstrom mobs. Server ping goes to 1020 and frames go to 2. It turns the game into a slideshow. This is from people are farming the mobs with poison arrows and acid arrows. But it is because Funcom didn’t think about this. I suggest you remove the damage to these creatures from poison and gas, and then reduce the total amount of ??? needed by leyshrines for a full thrall summon to 1/5th of current requirement.

3 Likes

Based on the experience of the last weeks there is a lot of balancing to be done:
IoS wants you to go that way:

1. Build a base, get Tier 3 Thralls from local surges and get Tier 1 Crafter Thralls
  2. Farm dungeons (vs. other players on the server and vs a cool down) for Eldarium and get Sigils
  3. Farm the Maelstrom for more Eldarium and ???
  4. Get enough Eldarium and ??? for the Ley Shrines.

Imho this grind is too big to be fun. We tried this with 2-3 players with 3 fighter Thralls from Level 12-20 with best possible gear (no Tier 4 crafter, but Legendary Weapons)
We lost 2 of the Thralls for 20 ??? and we always lack Eldarium big time. I guess we are back at 200 now after 15 dungeon runs and at 40 (normal) ???

That would be okay under certain circumstances to keep players playing, but the big issue I have with it are:

1. You need way to many Thralls - which means leveling them, having good stats and basically wasting time on those Tier 3
  2. Even when you start the biggest Ley Shrine Surge your outcome is still completely random.
  3. Building in the Maelstrom Zone is (with normal settings) completey unrealistic and not cost-effective at all.
  4. Pets are even more useless now because their stats are still worse than Tier 3 thralls with Armor and Legendaries but you still have to level them.

What I’d do:

1. increase the droprate of Eldarium
  2. increase the droprate of ???
  3. give Maelstrom mobs different immunities so you have to fight them without being able to cheese them
  4. make Pets finally scale better
  5. The curve for advancing on IoS should be steep but not exponential and it sadly feels exponential right now
7 Likes

If people are farming Maelstrom mobs with poison arrows and lagging the server. Report them. Its a bannable offense.

1 Like

The reason that people gas and farm them is because the grind is ridiculous for a small clan, not to mention the difficulty for a small clan to actually engage the maelstrom for the effort to be worth anything, the fact that Siptah is in EA means the mechanic that is in place can be debated. I don’t think they should be immune to gas but it depends on what changes can be agreed to make a better experience. lowering the requirement for the shrines to be maxed is a better idea to me, as well as increasing the spawn rate of t4/named thralls at that level, but the maelstrom itself needs improvements, I think the size of the storm is taking up too much of the map but if that won’t change then there should be a way to at least teleport maybe with a ship to the other side of the island, as ive read the map is 75% of EL which is still quite the distance to travel on foot or even with a mount. I don’t see how they missed how much memory the npc spawn ends up taking on the server host because even on EL the amount of npcs engaged with a populated server should equate the same consumption, or they already knew and released it anyway to acquire more funds or get people playing again.

5 Likes

Its not a banning offense.

Yes, it is.

Source:

Another:

1 Like

its also least efficient… farming 3 skull bosses the legit way yields more choas per storm anyway.

I get why they do it, but running that gauntlet to edge out chaos isn’t worth it. Build a base off maelstrom, link it to the outer skirts of the storm, throw down some pets, and farm it… more fun, more chaos and doesn’t invoke the wrath of the entire server …

Is there a reason you have to link the base on the outside. Can’t you just build a platform inside and lay down the pets?

Your platform would be destroyed by the storm siege mechanic.

How is a cloud of gas working in a maelstrom? , doesn’t make sense

2 Likes

LOL, I stand corrected. But, in my defense, both of the posts you pulled those responses from have been closed, and one has been unlisted!!! How in the hell is the player base going to KNOW this for fact if the Dev’s hide their responses!

The player base knows … I’d wager that thread was closed was the total player base :rofl:

Anywho people can weasel their way into any argument on fair play vs exploit all day in this “community” which is why there is such a poor following of the game. Rather than fix a problem folks tend to lean more to “keep that mechanic open because it gives me an advantage over others” b.s …

This game community on this forum blows my mind on how much effort and lengths they will go to be jerks to other players over mechanics that clearly are not part of the design teams intended gaming experience. Rather then hold funcom accountable for poor quality assurance issues folks are happy to retain the issues and haggle over semantics in wording of complaints about it.

Does cheesing AI on mesh suck the complexity and challenge out of the game. Yes. Can it be solved. Yes. It requires someone at funcom to read more about navmesh in the unreal engine - I can even point them to the how to if they like.

Hell I wrote a mod for GTA5 that does better AI and Thrall navmesh using the RageMp engine (which was built in 2013)

It’s really not a hard fix at all … just means effort and focus two things not happening with this game atm

So haggle the exploits all day but look around on servers when you see pop is peaking at 5-10 people … there’s your answer on “is this still a good thing for us”

Now I have to go deal with undermeshes on my siptah server … they have a god now and most of their crap is under the mesh … nice work funcom …if only they understand how if you voxelize the entire world mesh, take that data and apply a small sqrt formula for when placeables are put down… this could all be easily mitigated

But here we are … yet again

1 Like

Hey, can you point me to the how to? I’m actually curious about what you’re referring to.

3000? You have a 10 person zerg. Only someone in a clan like that would suggest this as a change. Absolutely not.

6 Likes

Yeah,
But also: several T4 crafters and other, this is rng but it should be farmable equally as in Exiled Lands

You can find a few named thralls on Exiled Lands in 1 evening focusing on finding thralls.
But on Siptah not even in a week. First you have to do dungeons, then you have to farm mobs in storm the legit way, and then trigger the surge, which gets near nothing… (these stupid hyena’s, goats, wolfs and werewolfs they’re useless %$^$#).

2 Likes

we did 10 max. surges at last two weeks and get zero t4 crafters. so chance is too low.

2 Likes

How am I supposed to figure out how many swirling chaos to put when summoning a surge without watching youtube videos? Some in-game notes would be helpful for players that don’t like to depend on other people’s videos and like to figure the game out for themselves.

1 Like

I don’t know about decency, but there’s certainly some empathy missing. By your own words, you’re in a 10-person clan that summons two surges a day. There are people playing in smaller clans, or solo. And yet you’re advocating for making the surges even costlier in exchange for having a guarantee of a random T4.

Yes, getting T4s in Exiled Lands is too easy. And on Siptah it’s currently too hard. There should be a middle ground somewhere.

7 Likes

I’m not denying that. I’m saying that just because you can do that, it doesn’t follow that you need to raise the cost to 3000.

If I have limited time to play and choose to do a variety of different things in that time instead of obsessively grinding for a surge that might not give me anything worthwhile, I’m not being “lazy”, I’m just not playing the way you want me to. You don’t see me labeling your playstyle as “monomaniacal”, so do me the courtesy of not labeling mine as “lazy”.

5 Likes

This is also the experience on PVE. Don’t think that only PVP is suffering from such a poor mechanic.

Absolutely.

You keep criticising & belittling others for not farming the way you are. If you are so confident in yourself, share your technique with others. I’m not buying your:

If you truly believe there is not a problem with the current system and that it should be made even more grindier, you should explain to the player base how ‘easy’ this mechanic is. A true fan of this would not be holding back information, they would be doing everything to get others on board.

6 Likes