Massive Katana Bug

Game mode: Any
Type of issue: Bug
Server type: Any
Region: Any

Since there is nothing about it in the patch notes, I assume, this is a bug:
In 2.3 the katana has no combo-bonus anymore. If you make the classical katana-combo (light-light-light-heavy-light) instead of dealing the best damage with the last blow, it does nothing. For the most part, I don’t even see a light-red finish on the enemy’s health bar (indicating damage of the last attack).
Please fix this issue, since katana is not played a lot anyways, and with this underwhelming damage, it is practically dead.

Thanks!

Please provide a step-by-step process of how the bug can be reproduced. The more details you provide us with the easier it will be for us to find and fix the bug:

1. Click the left mouse button.
  2. Click the left mouse button.
  3. Click the left mouse button.
  4. Click the right mouse button.
  5. Click the left mouse button.
  6. Behold the non-existing damage.

Greetings @Korahan,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We’ll poke our devs about it right away!

Please keep sending feedback to help us improve our Lands. :slight_smile:

Sounds like you can poke them all you want but it wont do any damage…LOL

1 Like

Hello, I have this problem on Siptah official server 6003. I have tested it with Musashi’s blade, Gouging blade, and one of which I only know the German name “Lautloser Hieb” - I think it translates to something like “quiet swing” or “silent blow” or a mixture of both.

Maybe this information might help: Before Siptahs release, I played Katana in exiled lands, and there was a time when the combo damage was broken as well but only with Yamatai-dlc-katanas. But it worked with steel, starmetal and Musashi. Maybe the problem in 2.3 is similar.

They just want to nerf the only weapon in the game that required skill to play.
So the likelyhood is once again, they have no one on their team that plays this game. and if people yell loud enough they nerf. then add something else to replace.

i wana use my katana lol

Today’s hotfix said:

• Katana combos can now be done by alternating between light and heavy combos.

It doesn’t seem to be working though. :cry:

1 Like

The patch did not fix the issue at all. It allowed the the combo to be continued, yes, but the combo does not benefit the heavy attack anymore. There is no damage scaling on the heavy attack anymore when it is used later in the combo. The difference between opening with it and finishing with it is nil.

1 Like

Can confirm, the fix didn’t fix the damage. Very sad was hoping it would!
@Devs, maybe try removing the new sprint attack to fix it? I feel like that is probably the cause, and I think i can safely speak for myself and other katana users that we’d rather have our working combo with no sprint attack than vice versa!
Hope they see this and try it out.

2 Likes

I looked in the DevKit (which keep in mind has not been updated to reflect the 2.3.1 hotfix) just out of curiosity.

It appears that Funcom had removed the attack IDs in DT_ComboRules for the Katana Heavy attacks except the first one. In addition, they changed the ComboStepNext entries to no longer reference the deleted IDs. This effectively blocked the Katana Heavy 4 montage (which is essentially the same as the other Katana Heavies with the added multistrike effect) from usage as a finisher.

With the latest update, I’m presuming what Funcom did was copy / paste the first Katana Heavy ID and then wire up the ComboStepNext entries so that switching to Heavy attacks from Light will not reset the combo progress back to step 1.

However, they don’t appear to have placed Heavy 4’s specific montage back in its original place. It would be a very easy fix on their end, but I believe the removal of the montage in question was deliberate as the attack could deal enormous amounts of damage to large enemies, which obviously raises concerns over balancing.

EDIT: It’s a shame that they didn’t feel like relaying that change to the playerbase via the change notes. It gives the impression that they knew it was going to ruffle some feathers and decided to quietly change it in the hopes no one would notice.

4 Likes

Thank you for this it’s very interesting, I think the devs should HEAVILY reconsider it because it can “potentially and theoretically” deal massive amounts of damage to large creatures but in practice and reality, it is simply not the case, and if you do a DPS comparison, you could probably easily find that even with Heavy 4’s attack, the katana is simply massively subpar to most of not all other weapons in terms of damage.

The Katana was a really really fun weapon in PvP, and with this change, they have completely butchered it and made it uncompetitive and unfun, as the skill behind using the combo was fun, and balanced.
If anyone on the dev team would like to talk about it in further detail that would be lovely, as I feel like this is definitely a mistake.

1 Like

I have my doubts about it being a stealth nerf, though if it is, it was a poorly handled and executed one.

If the concern was that you can hit a lot of times on large enemies (mainly giant crocs and dragons, and to do that you need to actually use some careful positioning to maximize the number of hits and hope you don’t get interrupted and knocked down), why not simply add on a cap on the actual number of hits that can connect? That allows more fine tuned nerf that still maintains the combo buildup without making the weapon completely worthless. As it stands without the 4th heavy finisher strike, the Katana is a subpar choice for PvE and PvP, as its linear attacks and highly limited status effects (Bleed only on the 4th light, which is slow to execute and thus makes it very hard to stack Bleed unlike most other bleed weapons), combined with it’s limited strike range compared to other weapons (1 handed swords have better area stikes, and allow you to use things in the offhand).

Katana’s niche used to be as the best “dueling sword” for 1 vs 1 (be it PvP or PvE), but without that finisher, it’s kinda worthless at even that…

Funcom, please advise if this was an intended nerf or just that the weapon is still bugged.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.