So this is how I see it:
Obviously you CAN play dps DT, and it will do a lot of damage just as any other dps would do. However, there are just way too many ‘problems’ or reasons why you should not do it.
- If you enter a standard dungeon that requires a standard group set up (x2 tanks, x2 healers, x1 rogue, x1mage) you’d be taking one of the rogue/mage spots. Now this is fine as long as you do not need any AA or ranged to complete the dungeon
- If you roll on tank gear (which I think you said you won’t, so this is not a problem for you) they will be pissed
- If you roll on priest gear they will for sure as hell be pissed
- You don’t get the same minus hate% so if you actually end up doing any decent dps at all you will pull aggro. So if this is the case just put on heavy gear and actually tank instead, and be useful.
- If you ever join a pug as DPS DT (or Conq) and they don’t like it --> Do not get upset/angry. But, if you start your own groups/raids or if you play with guildies then it’s fine.
A lot of those problems (mostly gear) are easily solved because of how easy it is to get gear now a days (RF). You don’t roll against people for tokens so you can buy whatever you wish.
However, the main problem for me is that if you ever step a foot into T5/T6 and you try to be a DPS soldier, for me that’s the most wasted spot ever.
Of course, there are encounters where you only need 5 or 6 tanks. So if you have 7 in the raid one of them could just go DPS. The thing is here is that you might as well have conq going dps then because of how easy it is to get, and keep aggro with a Tali DT considering the class is just totally broken. For example on Yothians in T6 guardians/conqs can just solo tank them, and DT can go frenzy, but on adds at the doors you just swap to defensive stance and you can tank those. And if you ever start to do any form of decent dps you’ll get aggro anyways so might as well be in tank gear and just tank it imo.
In the end, we’re not paying your sub, and you are entitled to play the game how you want to. But the main problem on this subject is when DPS dts/conqs aren’t allowed to join activites because people like me and others refers to them mostly being a waste of a spot starts QQing.
I would not recommend you to start maining DPS DT, but if you find it fun, and have people to play with which does not mind, sure – Go for it. If you want to play a melee dps the game has other awesome classes for you, which are all really fun, and unique to play