Mod (Not Found)

Late for chat, but this may help in the future…

My Steam “setup” is as follows:

• Steam app on main OS SSD (no games in default Steam folder)
  • 2nd SSD for more demanding games (and software)
  • less demanding games and games that I do not currently play, but do not wish to delete are on a bigger HDD.

Reasons:
I make it a point to periodically format the OS drive and make fresh install of everything. Having everything of value on other drives (partitions) saves me the time to keep everything “alive” after reinstall (periodic secondary backups are not on debate here).

How to keep games on your computer if you need to reinstall Steam:

• Having game folders on other drives or partitions in now easy on Steam. And you can simply move games between locations.
  • There is also (not so straightforward) way to have alternate game folder on same drive as steam app (just some by hand ini files modifications)
  • (not sure if anything changed lately) You can also do a backup of all games by simply making a copy of whole “steamapps” folder. After reinstall of Steam, simply copy back and make “verify files…”

I was a part of a discussion a while back regarding the last 2 points. Will edit when I find the thread

Edit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/5uqy2u/is_there_any_way_to_set_up_multiple_library/
and

added changes:

I read what has changed: when you manually add a steam folder to the file in the reddit post, you also also manually create “steamapps” subfolder

hence:

you add new location on same drive
“2” “X:\gamefolder”

before installing the game, manually create
X:\gamefolder\steamapps

that works, I just tested

edit 2:
this was part of

1 Like