Monitor loses signal only while playing Conan Exiles

Game mode: Single-player
Type of issue: Other
Server type: PvE
Region: Australia
Mods?: No
Edition: Steam

Bug Description:

Monitor loses signal. Computer and game are still running (can hear audio).
Only happens when playing Conan Exiles (not during other games or graphics card stress test)
Happens at random times, except always happens when entering “The Passage” (from either end).
Sometimes can play for hours without happening, other times every 5 - 10 mins.

Installed Mods:

none

Steps to Reproduce:

Happens at random times, except always happens when entering “The Passage” (from either end).
Sometimes can play for hours without happening, other times every 5 - 10 mins.

Other info:
Tried different monitor cables and ports (HDMI, DP, DVI) - same issue
Tried different monitors - same issue
Updated graphics card drivers - same issue
Pulled out and re-inserted graphics card - same issue
Pulled out and reinserted power cables to power supply and graphics card - same issue
Verified game files on steam - same issue

System Info:
CPU: intel i5 6500
MB: Gigabyte H170 Gaming 3
RAM: 16GB
GPU: Radeon RX480 8GB

Have you tried a different graphics card already? Since you pretty much tried all other things it sounds like your graphics card might be the problem.

Hi, thanks for the reply!

Good advice, but unfortunately problem persists.

Hi,

Unfortunately I don’t have a spare. Was hoping to find a work around, as the problem only exists with Conan Exiles and I can’t justify the expense of a new card in the current climate!

Hard to produce a work around when the issue is extremely isolated to your computer and your computer alone. Definitely the first time I’ve heard of it in the nearly 4 years of being involved in Conan. You’re absolutely right though about the problems with purchasing a new card these days (I just went through purchasing 2 cards for myself and a family member. What a bloody pain in the rear. I did succeed getting a 3080 TI and 3070 TI at MSRP, though with a TON of effort on my part to do so.).

Drachenfeles might be onto something, maybe the game is demanding so much power from the GPU that it loses signal (or that your PSU isn’t able to provide the necessary power). Not something I’ve ever ran into in my decades of tech work, but in theory its certainly plausible. Though from my experience, if a PSU fails to push out enough power, things tend to crash rather then what you are describing.

That said, if you happen to have a spare PSU laying around, might be worth swapping it out. If nothing else, might help narrow down the cause some more.

1 Like

Your processor might have an integrated graphics card, while probably hit being able to run the game well (even on lowest settings it might still have very low FPS) it might not crash. If that’s the case, your graphics card is probably faulty.
But as Multiguns suggested, the power supply could cause such problems as well if there are problems with it though the only thing I personally saw with faulty PSUs was computers shutting down completely without any warning. Still though, it’s definitely worth a try before having to buy a new graphics card.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.