My admin is abusing his power

Everytime I see this on these forums I sigh. I seem to sigh a lot. Having been on both sides of this particular fence, I wonder, why is there a fence?

Let’s start off with the title. Have you considered why an admin has those powers? They likely are renting a server or have spent 2k or so to set up a dedicated server for your enjoyment. Whoa, your enjoyment? How about every member’s enjoyment? Have you considered your role and responsibilities while using their assets? If you have performed an action that is detrimental to others I see no reason that admin should not kick you. The vast majority of admins are reasonable people and will attempt to remedy the situation before banning. Work with them. Most likely they have a Discord server to enhance participation. It usually has a set of rules that define your limitations and the nature and purpose of the server. Have you joined the Discord and read the rules?

The next phrase also makes me sigh. “My admin is helping their friends”. OK, I help my friends. What is preventing you from becoming their friend? Is it because you have decided to play solo or separate your clan from the rest of the server, not participating or interacting in a positive way? Again, all while using the server admin’s resources of time and money?

These are just two examples of that ‘fence’. Mend it, or move on, or better yet, establish your own server and run it the way you want to.

My perspective, my experiences, only. I am not currently an admin, but play on a server whose admin (owner) I now call a friend. Try it, you may find it adds to your enjoyment.

Regards

jim

1 Like

Ain’t selling nuttin, Halk, and I appreciate your passion for rope bridges, it’s shared.

Regards

jim

If someone is having issues with an admin, try to talk about it.
But if you just can’t seem to agree on things, then by god move to another server.

3 Likes

Prezactly !

We wants our ropes !

Regards

jim

There’s nothing wrong with any of the things you describe in the OP, as long as it’s made clear that the server in question does not provide a level playing field for all players. Personally I’d never play on a server like that, but equally I’d never question anyone else’s right to play that way on a server they rent.

Communication is the key here.

PS: RopeBridges4Lyfe yooooooooo (or whatever it is the kids say these days)

1 Like

Well put, Mikey. Is there ever a level playing field?

Regards

jim

1 Like

Thank you. I should probably clarify that the server I’d “never play on” is the one where the admin gives himself and/or his friends a helping hand using his admin powers, not the ones where toxic players are banned - in fact that possibility is one of the great advantages private servers have over official ones.

Well… no, not really. Some players will always have a - sometimes vast - advantage, due to having played for longer, or having more hours to play per day, or both. But at least in those cases the advantages are of their own making, so there were equal opportunity, even if there’s certainly no guarantee of equality of outcome.

Thanks for the public confirmation, but from your reputation I read what you clarified. Those who have experienced true abuse of administrative powers also know that there are such cases, but they are rare and move on. The vast majority of admins want an enjoyable experience for all and those that create toxicity are dealt with as the admin determines is appropriate.

I also agree with your second paragraph and would add the following:
Level playing field = fresh server, open access, associated Discord, posted server goals and rules. There are other minor things, like admins who have two accounts, one to play and the other to administrate.

From there, things always degrade and it’s the admin’s responsibility and right to make issue
and population corrections. I enjoy more available game time than most (although lately have become more Wiki-focused) and have experience that gives me an advantage, but use that to encourage community involvement. A few don’t take that approach and eventually make it to the forums and complain about the admins.

C’est la vie?

Regards

jim

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.