Need an official answer about 3 Skull maesltrom bosses

Could it be because even though your base is outside the storm, when you built a “bridge” into it, or with mikey when his fence just hit the maelstrom area, it registered your base as “inside the storm” because it only has 1 building ID?

1 Like

Possibly - I don’t really have a problem with attracting Siegebeasts by building very near or actually into the storm - that’s on the player to risk.

What I question is that you can use this technique to harass your neighbors and get their bases torn down by “kiting” the Siegebeasts outside of the Storm area. Like described above, you can even loot their stuff if it’s destroyed by the Siegebeast! In PvE servers, that is.

1 Like

I am not trying to defend the technique in any way, just trying to figure out what could cause the issue of the mobs not despawning. Described above I read a message that was typed where the person described building a “bridge” of T1 foundations from their base into the storm(if I read correctly), same as what happened with your fence(if I read correctly)

What I’m trying to say is that conan doesnt have the smartest AI in the world so maybe it could be possible that if part of your building becomes linked into the storm, that would mean your whole “building ID” is in the storm, so storm enemies get attracted to even the parts that are not in the storm because building ID is in the storm?

1 Like

I haven’t seen a siege mob yet, but I made the mistake of running back to my base with two of those demon-cat things in tow, and I can confirm that even non-siege mobs one-shot t3 building pieces. I turned to fight them, too close to the door, and a single claw-swipe took out a t3 doorframe, a t3 frame, a t3 door, and 3 (admittedly sandstone) foundation blocks.

Amusingly, I have a sandstone support pillar that I built where the top is somehow outside the maelstrom but the bottom is just barely inside it. During the maelstrom, it spawns in those tiny little flying wasp things, but only if I’m standing in the base near the top of the pillar. That’s happened at least three times that I’ve noticed, maybe four, and the one sandstone foundation block they’ve been nibbling at for over an hour is still above 90% health. So whatever those are, they don’t have the overpowered building-damage bonus.

But the demon cats, while they do merely ordinary-mob damage to players (less, actually, than regular tigers do), they erase structure parts on contact. And yeah, they absolutely do pursue at least 20 or 30 meters past the edge of the “tornado icon” maelstrom zone.

1 Like

Could be - the Siege Elder did spawn at this tip of the fence that dipped into the Maelstrom, so that seemed correct. It’s more the part where you can kite them significant distances outside of it I found “wrong”. And no worries about “defending” anything, we’re all just trying to figure out what’s up (and down) in this whole mess! :+1:

1 Like

More, in my experience (for the three-skull thing anyway!)

Hey, @Mikey, it sounds like you have more experience with this than I have. Does this apply only to siege monsters? And how far are you kiting them?

I’m asking, because it might be a bug that affects only siege monsters. From what I’ve seen with my own eyes so far, it’s impossible to kite non-siege Maelstrom monsters more than a few meters outside the zone that gives me the Maelstrom debuff. They get that yellow outline and despawn.

I don’t know - I haven’t tested it thoroughly since it happened by accident (!). I’m assuming it was a siege elder - it was a 3-skull dragon thing that ate foundations and NPCs like candy. It had a fire breath attack that also exploded any foundations hit and its name was Llo-something of that nature.

I was able to drag it AT least 50-60 meters, probably longer if I’d tried (I was trying to lure it AWAY from my base since I had a few thousand bricks, some scrolls and Fragments there).

In the end it sat on top of the base significantly outside the Maelstrom zone (see screenshot) and it stayed there until the Maelstrom ended.

Quite exhilarating except for the fact I couldn’t stop worrying at the griefing potential (it completely destroyed my neighbors half-built thralling base)

1 Like

Did you read my post?

1 Like

4 Likes

I never build inside the maelstorm, so no I don’t think this has to do with it

Sometimes they despawn they way you expect them to despawn “while going outside the storm”
The other time they just follow you to heck… even the red woods

I don’t think they should, I think they should despawn right on the edge of the storm not way way outside the storm.

W/e reason someone can throw at us related to this problem… this is an easy tool for griefers.
It also makes the map even more smaller if we can’t even build close to the storm.

1 Like

I did a video on this, It’s a major issue, Didn’t read every comment but a lot, I saw someone asked for video proof, so Yes, here that is.

7 Likes

Somewhere yesterday I saw a post about someone running out of the maelstrom with a demon dog on their tail and it took out their T3 building pieces

That was me. But, to be fair, I only kited it maybe 20 meters past where the tornado icon went away, and I was still in the area with the blowing-debris visuals.

2 Likes

I can confirm, they literally 1 hit every piece of building, lost the entire back off my base beacuse of that beast roaming around OUTSIDE the maelstrom (pulled by another player).

Placed some big scorpions and some big sand reapers back there, 2 sand reapers died, Im still losing pieces of building sometimes but a lot less than before (guarding creatures and thralls seems to idle a lot of times while being attacked so in the end they die)

One 3 skull boss would probably kill all my pets and thralls back there and probably half my base…

The visuals does n’t determine the end of the maelstrom, the icon does and should, not the visual effect.

1 Like

Just out of curiosity, did any of your pets have sigils active?

I can confirm on a PvE server, that mobs from the Maelstorm can be dragged / pulled outside the yellow line area (map posted in this thread and damage a base. I ran back to my clan’s forward base not realizing a few mobs were still chasing me and they did a small bit of damage to my clan base before I killed them.

The base is inside the storm wind area but not where mods spawn (reddish clouds area) so I can only confirm that white clouds area those demons can be dragged purposely or accidentally into a base area and do damage. I have no idea if the base was farther back if it would do so or not. (I did not watch that video yet)

None of the sigils were active one 1 of the mobs
Can’t get enough even if I want to :stuck_out_tongue: mostly these chests are empty

Well, the game is under “Early Access” so yes, we understand stuff like this happens, but I guarantee you, if there was some exploit, such as easy to kill elephants for leveling, they fix it. I can’t imagine it would be hard to fix this since it seems for whatever reason that some mobs actually do despawn properly. However, the video so kindly posted in this thread proves otherwise for 3 skull bosses.

So to all of you who posted replies such as, “Just don’t build in the storm or close to it.”, well, now you can clearly see that no place is safe on the map, unless you build on top of a mountain. Clearly this can’t be an intended feature, but I heard a rumor the same problem existed with purge armies being dragged to other people’s bases on the Exile map.

2 Likes