New Game Launcher

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t Steam already a launcher? Why add a launcher underneath (or over the top) of the existing launcher?

IMO a launcher is “just another stinking program” I need to install/run that uses up resources on my computer unnecessarily. I know it’ll help with monetization, particularly when you link your other games to it. But I guess you just need to ask these questions:

1. Is it necessary? and/or,
  2. Does it improve the user’s experience?

I honestly don’t see where either of those questions can be answered in the affirmative.

1 Like

Please no more launchers. First you need to be able to load the game without having to load a single player game first. This the only game I play online that I have to load a single player first game in order to load the online game…Fix your login before adding more loading issue junk.

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

New players regularly seek and obtain free help from established players. As a very established player, every time I play there will be at least one time where I will need to refer to either the Twitter feed, the Steam Guides section, this forum, or just about any other valuable resource out there. Global chat is not the place to be pasting links for reference materials. Thanks to the tencent acquisition, I expect a lot of new players to join. And not just on PC: on my PS4 it is virtually impossible to share help and content.

Oh Firespark, this is beneath you. My request is that you either begin playing on an active server, or take advice from them who do: a portal from Funcom is a necessary step going forward. Think about the impact the tencent acquisition will have on the game, and on your channel! Imagine a whole cross-cultural assortment of people wanting information and help. I know once implemented it takes traffic away from you as a resource, but in the long run I think it will help you immensely.

Please consider the bigger picture, that there is a considerable stable of games listed on that Launcher. Tencent is a giant corporation, that by its own right towers over Rockstar games. A lot of people rebelled against the Rockstar Launcher at first, but nobody once questioned their thought processes when Take-Two implemented it. Just like Rockstar, Funcom is responsible for a lot of games: daily playerbase exposure to them will be good for the company, good for the individual games, and good for us.

4 Likes

Cool.

No, it is actually a WE. It’s more than one person, in this case Firespark81, that don’t want and don’t need another launcher. You are obviously excluded. The Steam launcher is more than enough and capable to run the game as it is and also be informed on news related to the game. No need for a launcher within a launcher within a launcher just for the sake of having an extra launcher. So as you speak for yourself, so are WE.

1 Like

Please don’t. There’s no need for the extra launcher and there’s plenty of others who feel the same way.

2 Likes

It’s not about rather it will bring people to my channel or take them away. It has nothing to do with anything other than I’m sick to death of every company out there that makes a game thinking they need a launcher. I don’t know if you have noticed but it has gotten so bad that many gamers are starting to rebel against it. This launcher provides nothing that steam does not already provide. It’s an extra useless layer over steam.
Now with that said if they are pulling out of steam and come forward about that I may change my tune a little bit. But as it stands now I DO NOT want to have to have another pointless program running in the background just so I can play a game. Conan has a launcher. Its called steam.

Also even though I do not agree with you, thank you for the constructive and thoughtful post. It’s always nice to hear/read well thought out opinions that differ from my own.

6 Likes

Steam is already stated because it always is.
Click play game loads
(With the launcher)
Steam is already stated because it always is.
Click play wait for launcher
Click play again game loads
More clicks

It takes me to the title screen when I do this and does not load me back into single player.

You are right I am sorry I do not speak for all I will edit my post.

1 Like

How about … NO…
nobody asked for this, nobody wants this…

Instead work on the game - add a proper AI system…
Stop wasting time on pointless stuff that already exists…

2 Likes

Then why have it? Whats the point?

4 Likes

Come on guys. You cannot be serious. PLEASE do not introduce the launcher thing. It just adds hassle. I simply refuse to have another program that I DO NOT NEED nor want. Steam works fine.

2 Likes

I know you’re a good guy, I can hear it in your voice. You want what’s best for Conan Exiles, and you’ll get it. :heart: I just think about all those eyeballs out there gobbling up the words Conan Exiles and saying “Hm, I’ll give it a go.” Content Creators brought me to the game, made it look like a real messy challenge back in EA. Keep asking, friend.

I think that that may be a bug that they need to look at. First time I opened it it showed the single player menu, but every time since it has taken me straight back into the game.

As an aside I don’t mind the launcher; it reminded me that I have “Moons of Madness” installed and haven’t finished it. I suspect that kind of thing is the reason they added it…

3 Likes

I can see how Funcom might think it’ll help their bottom line, but calling it “necessary” is a significant overstatement.

Again, “good for us” is overstating the case significantly. It might be good for Conan Exiles – although it’s very debatable to what degree – which by extension is good for Conan Exiles players. And that’s as far as I can see that claim taken.

But that’s not a net positive. Sure, it’ll allow players to skip a few clicks to get back into the game – if they’re not changing servers or mods frequently – and it might improve the Conan Exiles bottom line a bit. Now let’s look at the downsides, too. One tangible drawback is yet another app that stays up while I’m playing, consuming a whopping 150 megs to just sit there. On top of that, maintaining it will require dev resources that weren’t needed for that before.

Ultimately, though, it’s not going to have a huge impact. It doesn’t really matter if it’s a slight net positive or a slight net negative, so there’s no need to make a huge deal out of it.

Personally, I dislike it very much, but that’s my own opinion. I don’t like it, because I generally prefer things that serve one function and do it well. I also loathe Electron-based bloatware in general. On top of that, I have a knee-jerk negative reaction to anyone trying to aggressively shove their marketing down my throat. Those are my own personal preferences and pet peeves.

Anyone who feels like me is perfectly free to keep doing things differently. As other people in the thread have pointed out repeatedly:

• This does not replace Steam, nor does it look like it will do so in the future.
  • You don’t need to set up a special account for it.
  • You can still use the Steam favorite list to launch Conan Exiles.
  • You can also create a Windows shortcut to the launch the game, although that arguably requires “power user” knowledge. [1]
  • The launcher already has a couple of options that are useful to some players and it’s much easier for Funcom to add new useful options to it than to find ways of doing the same in Steam.

So it’s not all doom and gloom. For those of us who dislike the launcher despite all this, I’ll look into the least painful way of permanently circumventing the launcher and write a post about it if I come up with anything useful.

[1]: I’m not being elitist here. I know plenty of smart, capable people who wouldn’t even know how to find their Conan Exiles executables. Not everyone has grown up with PCs from the DOS era :wink:

5 Likes

so you need other to speak for you? ok :man_shrugging:

and there is more than one person here who likes the continue button, but I would never be so presumptuous as to allow myself to speak on their behalf.

It’s my opinion, based on hundreds of transactions and thousands of successful dealings with people from the region Tencent* is from, a Launcher is indeed necessary. For them not to have one would be improper. Funcom has a lot to be proud of, and while not a showy thing, a Portal is at the very least a compendium.

* Corrected the typographic error in this instance, and going forward.

A launcher is not necessary, alot of bug fixing is what is needed. Saying that CE needs a launcher is just stupid. Fix the game make it functional, when people return and see the game has changed then consider a launcher.

2 Likes

I’m not entirely sure why, but I’ll be brutally honest and say that I don’t care. I was born and raised in a country where what everyone else calls buttermilk or kefir is called yogurt, and I still don’t think it would be okay for me to insist that everyone in the world must call it yogurt. Likewise, Mitsubishi Pajero was renamed Mitsubishi Montero only in Latin American countries, not the whole world. I fully understand the need to adapt to a regional culture, but if that’s what it is, it can be a regional offering.

Bear in mind that I understand there’s more to it and it’s not just because of the regional culture. Like I said, it does add things that can be useful to players. All I’m trying to say is that the “necessary for regionally cultural reasons” is not an argument I can agree with at all.

I didn’t say Conan Exiles needs a Launcher, so I’ll not take offense at your calling people “stupid.” The game already has its own launcher space in a dialog box, in the present Live version. What appears in TestLive, in place of the thing that’s already there that nobody complains about or calls “stupid” is a combo box of what appears to be JSON or HTML5 compilation. This is the Launcher.

Since I cannot run the game now I cannot see for myself. But without confirmation, a person who composes JSON or HTML for Funcom is not anywhere near the person who fixes bugs in Conan Exiles.

1 Like