New idle noises need to be taken off

Just give us the passive option with a “emote wheel” like we have for “follow”!

And, i really dont understand why idle noises are bad for RP. Isn’t one of the purposes of roleplay to feel immersed? A real world have people making noises every time.

If you have a lot of ppl, there will be even more noises! I agree that our character and maybe a follower thrall, on other hand, shouldn’t move so often and don’t need to make noises.

Some mmorpg like ff XIV have a “crowd” sound effect in areas with many players and i don’t see ppl complaining. This make me think the “rp players” that are complaining are not real roleplayers, but ppl saying they are to make funcom think rp players didn’t like it.

On other hand… I am 100% with the option to CHOOSE the animations/emotes and noises, the choice is even more rp focused because you will be able to tell a story with thrall emotes, so things like “stray thralls” mod is really interesting.

For example, it would be really nice to make a tavern with thralls with drunk emote, others fighting, and so on. Or a training area with thralls using a sword emote. Put “thinking” thralls at places that you are yet building and are made of sandstone. A crying thrall woman with an angry thrall…

1 Like

Uhm, no, sorry. I am not making noises every 10 seconds. I can remain perfectly silent for minutes. Player characters and Thralls can’t. As soon as you gather more than 3 people anywhere, it turns into a non-stop choir of moaning and coughing.

The crowd effects you mention are subtle, the thrall idle effects are dominant. I am playing MMOs since early 2000, and no, not a single game I was on characters or NPC had idle emotes in a frequency like this. If they had any at all.

And please spare me your judgmental “real RPers wouldn’t complain about this”.

2 Likes

The idle animations need to less frequent (and loud), and for the love of Crom, get rid of that stop animation, or at least only make it occur when the player stops sprinting, it looks so bizarre seeing my character stop like that when she has only been walking.

3 Likes

It wasn’t judgmental, but a kind of assumption i have.

Of course we don’t make sounds every second, or at least we don’t notice it. But areas with crowded ppl should have a lot of noise.

But if you understand, i’m not against ppl that don’t like the noises, i just don’t think it’s bad for RP. The character and follower thrall, on other hand, can disrupt a serious conversation/interpretation and really break immersion.

So, the option to choose emotes is very welcome. Also i’m ok with the removal of noises, while i think it is better for RP (only the standing thralls), i can understand that many ppl feels annoyed about them. But to say it is bad for RP? It is really something hard to believe.

But i may be wrong, i’m not the “lord of truth” and don’t wnat to fight about it :slight_smile:
It is just weird for me to hear/read this kind of thing.

I know that I am going to be putting my face in the beehive and enduring a barrage of criticism here, but so be it. I actually quite like they animations of course, but ALSO the noises. We are just reacting badly because we are not used to them yet. I have approximately 30 thralls and 6 pets around my home, and the noise and animations dont feel intrusive or immersion breaking to me at all; but rather natural. Im sure most of us here have played Skyrim right? Our housecarls, bards and stewards make noises, yawn, cough, ‘munch’ food, and chatter constantly, around our homesteads, in addition to banging on anvils and crafting benches all the time. And I dont know about everyone else, but I simply dont notice it, its just white noise. Much in the same way that when Im at a train station or supermarket, I rarely notice other people fidgetting, yawning or coughing. To me it is just natural.

Im hoping that we keep the animations and the noises. For the first time my base doesnt feel like Im walking around the clothing department of Kmart after closing hour. Ie- surrounded by silent, motionless mannequins. I say keep 'em both!

[Croms_Faithful raises his Shield to prepare for the volley of aggro and criticism]

3 Likes

I have a feeling that this may be a reaction of sorts…

1 Like

Don’t worry

I may be ok with the noises removal, but i’m almost 100% with you. I am even one of the persons that did suggest idle animations.

I didn’t expect the noises, but i actually like it, and helps my immersion.

2 Likes

De gustibus non est disputandum. Someone’s immersion improving feature is another person’s immersion breaking nightmare. So there is no “bad” reaction here.

The noises themselves would not be a problem, it’s their frequency and repetitiveness… last year I had the misfortune of getting hospitalized and I must say I heard less coughing at the observation ward than in my crafting room. To be fair, in a crafting room, coughing is more or less natural thanks to dust, smoke and chemical vapors in the air but in other environments it is a bit annoying. For example, in Sepermeru, almost every NPC starts to yawn when you approach them. A simple randomization would ensure that they do not act as mindless clones and have at least some semblance of personality.

2 Likes

This

On that note it would be nice if we could turn it off and still here the voip system. I have been gritting my teeth since release.

I would also like to add that if we had more costumization and controls on the wheels we use for these idle sounds it could add for immersion. For example if we are injured we could activate our sound for being in pain. like grunting or a sound of agony or something but more under our control so that we have a better immersive feel to it. Less automated like the yawns and groans of boredom.

This! , the noises are ok if they happen less frequent, let the idle animations play normally, but put the noises less often. FC gave us polish with this update, they put their work good in this, the animator guy in FC, Manos is a talented one, and I feel like we should have more.

But after the update dropped, ppl reacted in a way like the sounds (and the stopping animation) is a thing so serious like a game breaking bug or crash, then you say to me (Ohhhh but the noises and stopping animation are game breaking for me) !!! Geeeeezzz, ppl complain for nothing these days.

Sometimes its not the fault of the maker of a product, but the customer.

3 Likes

I agree 100% with you

When i suggested idle animations a lot of ppl liked my idea

But when FC did drop the idle animations, ppl where hating on something that’s really not that bad

I know that many gamers lives in “caves” and don’t socialize with many ppl or go to places with huge crowds. I am guilty of this too.

But i did work at places where i listened to the same kind of noise we hear at the game. Yes, it was’nt so often, but… I don’t hear my thralls making these noise so often.

The problem is because some ppl have really huge bases with an unecessary amount of thralls, so it becomes a “crowd”, with that many thralls the idle animations will give the impresion that it happens too often.

I was observing my thralls, the idle animations are not that often. But like i said, and even suggested, FC should give us a emote wheel on thrall command options with a passive option too. I think it could’ve beem much better for RP if they did this emote thing…

And like the other guy said… Did these ppl never played skyrim?

1 Like

There needs to be a way of turning of their ability to make these sounds so often, one of my male guards was grunting so much just that I wanted to go outside and cheer the happy couple along. Yes they are the sounds you might hear in a dodgy tavern from behind doors, but not from guards around your base?
I am not a prude but please this is driving me nuts.

I would just throw in my opinion here as well. I love the idle animations, it makes everything a little bit more immersive. The idle sounds though are driving me crazy.
There are constantly coughing, yawning, moaning and sighing all around me.

At the very least add a switch to settings for turning it off.
And maybe add some “Application Insights” to borrow a term from Microsoft Azure for how many players actually turn it off :wink:

A switch for both would be optimal, use if you like, turn off if they annoy you. Would have potentially saved a lot of trouble with the animation induced lag since the patch as well… turn them off, all is goodness again. One would hope, at least.

Has the patch to fix the timing for this dropped yet? They mentioned 10 days ago that they had a fix in the works. I haven’t played in weeks and just noticed this. I hope it’s still coming because I still think the noises are too frequent. I like the idea though. I just wish they were less frequent and more subtle.

I really don’t like the long hacking cough one though. My vote is that one gets the axe entirely. It sounds like my toon is really sick. And the thing is, this game already has a lot of audio cues that actually mean something. There’s the “I’m thirsty” cough and the “I’m hungry” sigh, and lots of little noises that mean an enemy is getting ready to aggro. I love all that about this game. So the random emote sounds need to respect that, and not sound too much like the meaningful sounds the game already has. The cough especially sounds way too much like the thirsty alert.

The patch is currently on testlive as announced yesterday.

It should be deployed on live version of the game anytime soon.

2 Likes

Thx!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.