New Thrall Type Suggestion - Scholar

Once you get the staff and get it ‘awakened’, you need to take it to the first place it talks about the archives - hopefully it might be enough just to have it in your inventory - if not, then you need to be able to place it at that location, which is a problem since it can’t be placed at that location.

If you can get it past that point, then you can just place it in your base, and it should just update each time you collect the item it’s talking about. The difficult bit is getting past that initial hurdle. (I’ll do a bit of testing in singleplayer to see if I can figure anything out for you.)

3 Likes

It is. It’s also something that I never would have thought of. I only discovered that this year, when someone mentioned it on the forums. Until that moment, I played the game thinking that the staff was just a trinket whose dialog (and usefulness) stopped there.

Ironically, once you’re past that hurdle, you can leave the staff planted at your base, and its dialog will keep advancing based on the stuff you do elsewhere, so it’s literally the only time you have to carry the staff around to advance the dialog.

That inconsistency should be fixed, because there’s nothing that guides the player towards that decision.

4 Likes

Thank you @CodeMage and @DanQuixote. I’ve been trying to figure out how to get over that hurdle since i’ve gotten the thing. Can’t wait to see what it says next :smiley:

2 Likes

Well, there’s me :laughing: I don’t know how many times I’ve ended up commenting on a youtuber’s video to explain to them how to get the staff working :laughing:

Edit: Yes - the inconsistency could definitely do with fixing (as could some advice to actually take it to the Tower of Bats, since there’s no obvious connection to that step either…)

1 Like

I was able to discern that part from reading the info on it when I picked it up. It mentions the Tower of the Bat specifically and to use it at the altar. Not sure what BETRAYER is referring to yet. It is supposedly possessed by a demon so maybe it will give you bad advice lol

2 Likes

You’ll figure it out once you’ve gone through all of its dialog :wink:

2 Likes

Ah, well done. It’s so long since I read that bit, I’ve obviously forgotten the details, lol. Glad to know at least that bit is properly covered :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Scholar is a great idea…but does he hand out homework?..I’m a busy guy these days…

3 Likes

Wow, interesting! That’s good to know and makes sense in hindsight. I thought it was just a joke item. I left mine plugged in and all it ever told me was that I needed to clean up my room. :smiley:

2 Likes

I think “Sage” would be a better title for them. They wouldn’t give out homework, but depending on their tier, they could give quests of varying degrees or hints that would entice you to explore an area for something.

They’d make terrible fighters, but if you took them out with you they could make comments about your surroundings. I’m thinking like Navi from Zelda: Ocarina of Time only less annoying lol. Or maybe tier 1 Sages are super annoying. There are lots of ways this could be implemented

3 Likes

Very interesting idea and can this scholor learn from books and scrolls you find or make also ?

3 Likes

Sure. There could be a new “Library” bench that takes scholars/sages. Then there could be cryptic books, scrolls, and tomes that you find around the world. You could bring these books back to the library bench to be deciphered.

Once the deciphering is complete the book will become usable. When you use it, it could give you random feats like the library of esoteric artifacts does, or it could give you the location of treasure or something like that.

I’m thinking like the identification mechanic like Cain from Diablo only not instant. Deciphering of the books would require materials like parchment, feathers (for quills), oil (for ink) etc.

5 Likes

Sounds great to me really. I like interactive mechanics .

2 Likes