Hello , I want to propose a command system that will be barely noticeable, will not require additional buttons, will not require a complicated behavior panel / window or even a tutorial.
The companion should imitate the player’s behavior. And more accurately read what the player pressed on the keyboard / controller - more about this later.
- The player stands with a weapon
- When the player draws a weapon, the text “thrall name attack when enemy is near” appears.
- The follower will attack any enemy he sees, the text “thrall name attacks” will appear
- Note: The information on the right replaces the tutorial - if a player draws a weapon, he receives information about what his companion will do.
- The player stands without weapon
- When the player has no weapon drawn and orders the thrall to follow him or the player put the weapon down, the text “thrall name will no attacks” appears.
- When a follower is attacked, only “thrall name takes damage” appears.
- The player crouches without weapon
- Similar to the situation when the player is standing without weapon (point 2).
- Additional text “thrall name will be quiet” appears.
- Note: The quiet companion does not make sounds and does not make unnecessary movements (such as random idle animation).
- Player crouches
- Similar to the situation when the player draws a weapon (point 1).
- As in the situation above (point 3), the companion remains quiet, text “thrall name will be quiet”.
- The companion attacks everything he sees (of course he will get up to attack).
- The player plays animations (the most important situation)
- The companion should play a random animation from the selected category:
- If the player is praying, the companion should start praying.
- If the player is resting, the companion should play one of the resting animations.
- Text “thrall name behaves similary” appears.
Exceptions / Reading player intentions:
- What should happen when the player is disarmed (the sword is destroyed and the player’s character goes to the animation without holding the weapon)?
- The companion should continue the fight.
- Why does the companion continue fighting when the player is disarmed?
- Because the player has not pressed any button suggesting that he wants to end the fight.
- The companion’s behavior should change only when the player physically presses a button that changes the main character’s behavior.
- Only choosing a weapon from the circular menu / number keys should switch your companion’s behavior to aggressive situation (point 1 or 4).
- Only pressing the weapon retract button / re-selecting the numeric buttons (put the weapon down) should switch the companion’s behavior to situation (point 2 or 3).
- Only when the player presses the crouches button, the companion should do the same.
- When the player is under water (or climbing) and presses the button to pull out the weapon, he will not draw it, but his companion should switch to aggressive behavior (point 1).
- Only animations should be interrupted when the player’s animation is interrupted.
Note: It should be possible to turn off the texts that appear on the right in the menu - not everyone likes too much information on the screen.
Right now , before the update with the Follower Leveling System , it’s the best time to keep the topic and talk about giving commands to companions and improving their intelligence .
If you want to suggest something, comment on or refresh an older topic - do it now!
Thanks for reading .