Occult Defense improvements & suggestions

Ok, ran a fair number of waves because of the event so I feel more confident in saying this:

The number one thing making me not want to play OD is actually the combination of things

• waves high enough to be challenging for me don’t mark bosses on the minimap
  • the lighting is so dim I can’t see bosses without the minimap
  • there are so many spawning that I don’t get audio cues for commanders

Every single game I’ve gone past wave 20 on in the last few days has died specifically because a commander that I didn’t find overwhelmed the hagstone. It makes me not want to even try to push for higher waves cause it’s just RNG when a commander will spawn and end the run.

Easiest fix from the top; just don’t hide boss icons, ever. It’s a bad way to make it harder. But I wouldn’t be sad if the other two got fixed instead.

On another note running large numbers of waves (eg. 1-22, did that yesterday) would be improved a lot by cutting out downtime, give me 2 seconds between killing one set of adds and the next ones spawning if I kill them fast enough. When the “swarm” spawns in group scenarios, it waits 30 seconds for the next wave even if they all died in <10 seconds.

1 Like

I don’t think this is quite accurate. In the later waves, you get audio cues that don’t specifically identify the type of additional effect that has spawned. It’s supposed to make us work out what’s just happened, rather than being able to tell from the audio cue. I agree that it’s annoying when you get a commander from it and don’t realise, but I think that’s WAI.

1 Like

You’re right, I just watched a commander spawn on wave 15 and it said the “magic 8 ball” line instead of anything relevant.

With default contrast this is what a commander looks like… black spectre in black trees on black horizon, in front of a bright blue sky. I had to make it 6x brighter to show what the specter’s body looks like cause by default it’s like this (not sure why it avoids “real” black, I have 1.0 contrast/gamma)
histogram

Above wave 21-ish, commanders sometimes spawn with no audio cue, not even a vague one. I believe Nirvelle confirmed that that’s intentional, though I don’t have a quote for that.

I remember that being a topic and being told during testing too. The higher you go the longer skulls take and the more cryptic stuff gets. Part of the rising difficulty.

Sounds like it becomes challenging later on. What were they thinking?!

Could be nice if we could run backwards at the same speed as forwards - would make Shotgun more viable.

2 Likes

Another suggestion that came to mind. It would be nice to see a duo mode sign up option in the AF again for OD. I really enjoy the ability to do up to 5 man groups and wouldn’t want that to change, but for the sake of the AF being used as intended I feel like it would be very useful.

1 Like

Could be nice if we could run backwards at the same speed as forwards - would make Shotgun more viable.

I tend to strafe as much as possible with shotgun. Much more effective than backing up.

1 Like