Oysters are best eaten raw

That is a complete oxymoron. It can’t be fresh if it’s frozen. :rofl:

2 Likes

I had a giant one in Japan for my wedding with a shell as big as my head and it was repellant. The fugu was better and strangely I felt safer eating it… less of a choking hazard.

1 Like

Oysters are best eaten while drunk. There Fixed it for you.

2 Likes

Simple as it is…
How many lobsters can be fished every day fresh?
How many octapus or kalamari (squid). You can understand a fish if it fresh or not, but oysters, shells, etc, Restaurants use techniques and provide frozen for fresh, that simple. It is a marketing issue. We have a special shrimp, Symi shrimp that you can fish it only on our islands, it is a dish you cannot imagine the taste, unique, still it is impossible to fish it every day, it has to be preserved in frost, but if the restaurant waighter says frozen nobody will buy it, so they all say fresh (lie). There are hundreds of restaurants only in my island in the Summer providing sea food, only 2 are giving fresh (fresh) but the cost is double and triple sometimes. And if they don’t have fresh they simply do not provide. In some other islands like Kalymnos or Leros, that the tourist influence is low, their most taverns work differently, they provide really fresh sea products but they don’t have menus for it, they just announce you the fishing of the day and you choose between these dishes or oysters etc…
In these taverns you pay nothing and you eat royal taste, because fresh is fresh and nothing can compete that. Imagine that island Kalymnos is providing the most fish to all the islands around, so they serve fresh sea products mostly.
I know it is oxymoron, but it’s true as it is and trust me the same goes with the meat and worst, because they can make a no taste at all piece of meat a delicate dish. So like sausage, do not seek how it is made, just taste it :rofl::rofl::rofl:, but fresh products always give the best outcome. The reason you will eat pizza margarita in Italy is just one, the difference in pizza taste is in the bred, the spiced tomato sause and the cheese, in this pizza only you can understand the quality of the products the restaurant use, take this as a hint :wink:.

2 Likes

Maybe its the lack of cocktail sauce that has soured the opinions.

The difference is, in the restaurant industry, if it is frozen then it is not considered to be fresh and it is completely disingenuous to call it as such. A lobster caught the day before but kept alive in a tank is still fresh as it is still very much alive and fine. An oyster which is DEAD AND FROZEN is not fresh, it is frozen. That is the same as taking a frozen ravioli and claiming it was made fresh in house.

Oh I understand all of that. But it is still disingenuous to claim something as fresh when you know that it is not (frozen). And do not misunderstand, this happens in restaurants EVERYWHERE!

2 Likes

True, but I can only speak for the region I know. Finally humans are the same everywhere :rofl::rofl:.
I believe that sales art globally is working the same, especially this 9,99 that it looks better that 10, OMG.
But preserving for some hours oysters in ice cubes is not exactly frozen, and it can preserve the taste of fresh as well. So in these examples of really fresh “restaurants”, this taste is something else, unique!!
I remember I was supervising a project in an island and every afternoon that I had a chance I was on a boat fishing. The nights that this fishing end up in the pan are memorable, until then I never really tasted a fish before, not that I didn’t eat fishes before, but the difference is huge reaching the limits of black and white.

2 Likes

Maybe if I drank the cocktail sauce and threw away the oysters… :thinking: I’ll give that a try next time someone puts loogies on my plate.

2 Likes

Ah the big 'uns. The ones that have lived so long they’re clogged up like the filter at your local water treatment plant. :smiley:

:heart: I would sign up for Secret Agent duty just to wash up, bullet-riddled, on such inviting shores. If my Winter isn’t destined for the Caribbean, it’ll be the Mediterranean, Aegean and Adriatic!

2 Likes

The septic system of the ocean… like a set of tonsils packed with tonsiloliths.

2 Likes

Oysters are delicious. Freshly squeezed lemon juice and hot sauce (if you like them with a bit of a punch).
They shouldn’t be old. 2 to 4 years maximum.
You can also cook oysters and there are several recipes that are very tasty.
For me, though, it’s straight from the water. When catching them is impossible, lemon juice is all they need.

4 Likes

It’s clearly International Raw Oyster Day today, @darthphysicist has just made a thread about them and now @Marcospt has resurrected this old one!

How do you tell how old they are? I didn’t know they could get past their prime. Someone told me oysters are immortal but maybe that’s sharks…

3 Likes

@Firecrow by knowing their region of origin (because of the temperature) and size. :smile:

3 Likes

For the local abalone (not oysters but they still have nacre so close enough) they have growth rings not unlike trees.
Depending on the specifics, these are best between five and twenty years old.

However, this one must also attest to the questionability of poison from raw oyster when grubs directly from the compost are considered wholesome… to say nothing of water that flows from the Dregs…
Literally ancient sewage inhabited by near immortal horrors.
Delicious.

3 Likes

It does seem odd to this one that raw meat is problematic but contaminated water gets a pass.

This one can feel the glares from their SERE instructors even beyound the pale.

If there were no food poisoning, this one would not mind the lack of dysentery. But being particular on the one but not the other seems very odd. Especially as we have a mechanism for purifying water in game.

2 Likes

I always mind when dysentery is lacking.

2 Likes