Oysters are best eaten raw

Everyone knows oysters are best eaten straight from the shell, maybe with some lemon, salt to taste (bacon and worcester sauce if you are a barbarian).

How come when my character picks up oysters they gotta cook them? They should be edible raw like eggs and bugs! It gets me every time.

Fixing this is a priority!

11 Likes

I always wonder this myself. In my area we literally can eat them out of the water, rinsed off and maybe a little hot sauce or horseradish. Lemon is good too.

5 Likes

Yeah same. Are you in the US? I’m in Australia and we just crack them open, squeeze a bit of lemon and off you go. Horseradish and hot sauce sound good too :thinking:

Funcom are Scandinavians you’d think they’d know how to eat oysters!

3 Likes

As a Mainer, this always offended me. We harvest them straight from the sand, rinse in water and eat them.

Edit: I will add that the Emberlight mod was great because we had an oyster plate to put on dinner tables and this I would love in official

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m from the US, Southeast in fact. Actually FC’s US based office is about a hour and a half drive from the coast. They ought to come out for the annual Oyster Festival. :grin:

This thread makes me want oysters now.

6 Likes

Seriously, I’m craving fresh seafood now

3 Likes

This thread might be as emotionally damaging as the Abomination thread.

3 Likes

I think I made the thread because I’m staying at the beach at the moment and there are oyster shells everywhere but I haven’t managed to find a single oyster :sob:

3 Likes

First thing I thought of when seeing this thread:

9 Likes

Crom save your soul

1 Like

Omg this brings back memories

I live in a Greek island, so I have a fair share of oyster conversation too. It depends on the oyster rase if it needs to be cooked or not. Some of them are ready to eat straight from the sea, the soonest you consume them the best they taste and ofcurce no poisoning.
Some of them is best to be boiled, so they will be cooked and open so you can eat them.
Consuming oysters, poisoning is in the game cooked or not, it is a super food but dangerous too, I believe I dish with oysters should give charisma :wink:.

5 Likes

Do you guys know what bugs me even more? If we are speaking about raw vs. cooked stuff:

EXOTIC AND SAVOURY FLESH!! WHY DO THEY HAVE A LONGER EXPIRATION TIME THAN THE COOKED VARIANTS?? :angry:

5 Likes

U just need 1st survival perk and u can eat em without poisoning…

Ofc they should add the random effect of “dead” oyster when they combined with lemon… And finally they need to add lemon trees and make em give lemons… :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

The true problem with the Food Poisoning effect is that it is always a 100% chance.

Eating raw meat of any type is not guaranteed to give you food poisoning. As a general rule, the closer the animal is to a human, the more likely it will contain a pathogen that can infect you. Human meat is the closest and should be the most dangerous. Then other mammals. Seafood is far removed from humans, so is much safer to eat raw, but it is not completely safe. Oysters concentrate local bacteria, so if there is anything hazardous to humans in the water, a raw oyster can make someone ill.

To translate that into Conan is not simple because mammals like cats and wolves are harvested for the same Feral Flesh as reptiles. Nevertheless, they could do something like this:

• Putrid Meat: 50% chance
  • Human Flesh: 30% chance
  • Feral, Savory, Exotic, Exquisite Meat: 20% chance
  • All raw fish, shellfish, oysters: 10% chance
  • Insects, Grub, Bees: 5% chance
2 Likes

Oysters are foul and wretched. The food poisoning that you get is a bug…. It should apply to both cooked and uncooked oysters. Its like prying apart a couple dinner plates to find some snot to eat.

4 Likes

Slurping snot induces a different type of nausea than food poisoning.

I would agree with your sentiment though; Oysters are best eaten raw thrown back into the water where they belong.

4 Likes

The last time I had them they tasted like fresh coastal breeze, touched by cool mountain water lightly sprinkled with sea salt.

The time before that, Mark McGwire was in the process of breaking a batting record. I was in Washington D.C. wishing my spy girlfriend off on her last European trip. Aphrodisiac? Oh @stelagel I don’t kiss and tell. All I can say is the oysters were the least memorable of all the things.

2 Likes

coastal breeze (essence of rotting fish carcasses and stagnant diesel)
mountain water (mixed with bear and mountain goat poop)
sea salt (contaminated with fungus and microplastics)

Sounds about right. :wink:

2 Likes

You have to eat Mediterranean oysters my friend. Oceans have plenty of life but lack of taste, Mediterranean sea and especially Aegean Pelagus has different taste to Everything, the seafood here has no oil taste, the waters are crystal clear and warm, if you go sail with a boat you will see the bottom of the sea without equipment. I leave in 12 islands, the capital of Dodecanese, Rhodes, the house of the famous Colossus of Rhodes, one of the 7 ancient wonders. All the islands here are beautiful with plenty sea life, but… Because it is a tourist industry, if you want to eat the best, someone will have to guide you :wink:. Most of the restaurants in Summer provide fresh (frozen) food :joy:. The taste is good but not as unique the fresh(fresh) is.
I wish one day your road will bring you here. You will charge your aphrodisiac batteries for a year :rofl::rofl::rofl:.

3 Likes