Pets in Pens. Do they still decay?

Do pets still decay and die in pens, even if you feed them? I’ve noticed that the timer still goes down even if you feed them. It does not show any timer while they are in the pen but once you take them in your inventory you can see that the timer when down. I’m trying to get some production going but if that’s the case, and they would eventually die, even while feeding them, then it would be pointless for me to continue doing it.

1 Like

No they don’t die, the timer does go down, but after a bit (a few seconds at most, usually) they pop back to whatever time they had left when they were put in the pen. I’ve had my Rocknoses in the pen for a few months now, and they’re all still alive.

I haven’t tried taking any of them out in a while, so I suppose it’s possible that the timer would temporarily be at zero if I did so, and they’d die, but I don’t think that happens.

1 Like

Ok, that’s great. I haven’t moved the pets since they hatched so I guess I should not worry about it. If I just keep feeding them they will produce, right? Well… in that case let the production process starts :slight_smile: Btw How many rocknoses would be enough for a good gold production process, 5 or 10?

1 Like

Yup! And at least rocks are easy to get!

Hard to say, I don’t play much at the moment (I just keep my stuff out of decay really), but personally I use just three gold rocknoses and two silver ones (one pen), and it seems to be enough for making the occasional epic armor or other “luxury item”.

Then again, I am fairly sure that mining obsidian is way faster if you just want the gold (and silver can of course be mined directly in a few spots). But as a passive source, it’s pretty good.

feed them with honey, thrals as well (the buff they shod get if you feed them with favorite food is not working since they add it. With Honey you can feed your 10k thrals and animals :D. Some named thrals spawn instant (some times you do not have time to knock one down and same thrall will attack you so EZ to make 10k thral army
(my god the list of bugs and exploits is long as a toilet paper roll ) i thinking to make a youtube channel to sheer all this wisdom i learn in 6 months :smiley:

2 Likes

I’m not talking about deployed pets out of the pen. If you want to get a produce you have to feed them (while in pens) with specific for them food so they can produce what you need. But yes, you are corrent, you can feed your thralls/pets with honey, it’s easy to produce it and it doesn’t spoil which is nice. I didn’t get that for the named thralls though, and about that you don’t have time to knock one down?! What do you mean? Btw I don’t see any point in having some many thalls… several are enough, depending of the size of your base… Well… maybe after the new patch goes live, and if the changes to pets/thralls are good, maybe they will worth more/be useful to have them. Currently they are pretty bugged, achers go melee first, shot randomly at random directions, or even not attacking at all, freezing and porting… it’s all kinda weird now, talking about thralls. We’ll see after the patch.

1 Like

There are at list 2 spots on the map where a named thral hss duble spawn. You do not get to k.o. one and the same thral will spawn and attack you. As for thrals number :slight_smile: you need allot of them to protec your base, if they make lag is beather. The game is realy bug and some clans will wipe your months work in a night. More thrals in heavy and pets will defend your base. Ofc they will not attack couse of the lag but they produce huge lag and frame drop making your base hard to raid. And as long as the game allows me to have infinit thralss and ptes wby not :). Then i play for 6 months on same server , nothing to do in this game just hunt thrals and build. Or u can be di ck and grif smaler clans.

We talk about CE if servers are bug like first day of EA and funcom investigate this problem :)))

Oh It’s a good news. Someone said that producing pets should die. I’ve been greatly disappointed with this… Thank you!

1 Like

Yeah that was the initial implementation, I reported it as a bug and was informed it was on purpose.

As it turns out, it was wildly unpopular, and Funcom thankfully changed their minds about it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mining obsidian is quicker for sure, but I also find it tedious because I have to keep clearing the trash that mining it brings. And considering gold isn’t something Iusually need immediately, the passive stream is nice. I’d say 5 gold rocknoses at minimum, I sit at 10 and find that a good number to begin accumulating gold with taking up stupid amounts of space

1 Like

I really can’t have 40-50, keeping in mind I play on a pvp server, can’t protect them all so… 1-2 pens with gold rocks, the extra gold you get is ok, an addition to what I farm from he volcano, since I need it a lot due to constant loss of armors… pvp can get expensive… if you are active in it, I’m not talking about offline raiding…

Do you only feed them rocks or do you give them other like shade spiced stuff too?

To the best of my knowledge there’s no point feeding rocknoses (in pens) anything but rocks after they mature - shadespiced food only makes a difference when it’s determined whether you get a normal, greater, silver or gold version.

You feed them rocks after they mature. And tbh there is basically no reason to bother with shapespice at all.

Yup just rocks and the good part is that they also produce rocks mostly (besides crystals/gold/silver/iron) making the production process great. FIll the pen once with rocks and you are good for a month lol

1 Like

TBH, on a PVP server, waiting for any resource is not strategically smart. Having a little extra stream is nice, but a rule i follow is if you need it, get as much as you can in one quick run. Then use it. No free choices with my mats if you raid me!!! YOU will get what i made and like it!!!
IE: Any unused leather goes directly into leather bindings. Blow open that chest of 4500 leather bindings:)

1 Like

Well… pens are not at my base so… I collect like once a week, that way if someone raid me he will get whatever I have in my base, then I can go and collect and recraft… Assuming someone raids you, he/she will get all of the goods and you will end up using basic gathering tools until you craft better… Farming gold with basic tools is kinda … well… you probably know how it is… lol

2 Likes

If your server is not too crowded you can farm gold without any tools at all :wink: Sunken ships, you know.

Yup, but there is a slight problem with that - even if your server is not crowded, chests are bugged (you probably know that). Once you open a chest with E, after looting if you don’t close it with E again and just click Esc and leave it like that, it will get bugged and you can loot it only once per day. It will get fixed again after the server restart. So next day if people on your server keep hitting Esc when leaving the chest and not E to close it, it will get bugged again, and again, and again… So… my advice is: Always open and close loot chests with E, that way it’s not going to bug it.

2 Likes

Indeed on the chests. It’s a bug of course.

1 Like