Please change decay from 168h(7days) to 192h(8 days)

^^ anyone who isnt you in game.

But thank you for 100% ignoring the question. You, and others need to understand that some people do not need to play a game according to your schedule or expectations. People come and go, and if they take breaks thats completely fine.

You forget how large the map is. How much are you willing to bet that these “serial refreshers” are not populating the 40/40 servers, but more likely the 10-15/40 servers? I would bet the second is far more common. So you need to ask yourself, is a players bases on a map as large as Exiled Lands for example, really taking up that much space when there is plenty of room to build and play? You could give every player on the server 1 grid to build in and there is still plenty of room.

Edit: Not sure why you argue this issue so much when it doesnt matter to your gameplay since you play on private servers with admins that can simply wipe inactive players…

Back to the topic, two week timers in my mind were great. On the server I play off and on again, the average population for the last 4 years has been <5. During the time when the timers were at two weeks, we saw more new players then in the three months before.

Coincidence over the holidays? Maybe. Maybe not. Either way, my vote is two weeks.

5 Likes

Another point to add, is that for older games like these its often those long term players that play on and off that provide the bulk of income for the game. As they return they are more likely to check out any new dlc or content and purchase it to add to their experience, some even take breaks in between content droughts and specifically return to try out that new stuff.

Its not like CE is drawing in thousands of new players. By pushing those old players away they are ultimately hurting their bottom line, whether that be with things such as this (i mean putting the MOTD exactly 7 days after the decay change, when someone who logged in just briefly before the change would still be under the assumption that they had 2 weeks as that is what the game told them would be pretty thoughtless if it wasn’t intentional) or the blanket bans that people been complaining about. This means less people buying their overpriced bazaar/bp… i don’t get it, it shows a complete lack of insight or care.

5 Likes

I would also like to share my thoughts on this again:

Today I saw two buildings collapse on official PvEC server #1040.

I got the message that a small supply tower of mine, a really very small and yet lovingly built building in the snowy mountains that I use when I go farming star metal and black ice, was marked as “decayed”.

The buildings I saw collapse belong to players who I think play regularly on the server: One building belonged to the ItaPol clan and was a kind of fortified bridge in the middle of a river near Silkwood, in which there was a teleporter and a small wheel of pain located, and the other building was a small tower in the volcano by a fellow player who also had a teleporter and a small wheel in it. None of these buildings have seriously disturbed or taken away (a lot of) space to build for other players.

I doubt that this agenda is intended to encourage more players to play on official PvE and PvEC servers. I take the view that it achieves the opposite.

My ambition to play on an official Conan Exiles server is to be able to share my game with others and creating some nice buildings - but in the current conditions there is kind of pressure and eventually that pressure can quickly turn into frustration. :unamused:

The first impression of this change regarding the seven days left me with a very bad taste. As a player, I wish that this seven day rule would be reversed.

2 Likes

Regularly is at the very very least once a week. It’s up to the players to refresh they junk. Again join a private server if you feel so strongly about the decay timer. People join different servers everyday and if things don’t decay then you don’t give other players the opportunity to build.

No, I can also just try to appeal to FunCom with other players to undo the whole thing. You, Capt_insano0, don’t have to decide the whole thing any more than I do. And your offensive advice to me is completely obsolete here.

As is so often the case with profit oriented companies, further development is determined by supply and demand. If FunCom no longer makes an attractive offer for me and other wealthy players, demand will inevitably collapse sooner or later.

I have already paid for a private server for a year, but the result is disappointing. So disappointing that I could have ended up saving the money and just as well starting a solo or coop game.

A relaxed play and build on an official PvEC server was the ideal offer for me until recently, but with the seven day rule that seems to be changing more and more and as a customer I have - when many other customers share my point of view! - the ability to undo the existing development.

Maybe a bunch of emails to FunCom or the odd poll or two on Twitter would affect that somehow - maybe not. :man_shrugging: Time will tell what will prevail in the end and whether FunCom was right about it or not.

I think the best is to get time credits for decay from the time you actively play the game.

So no log in to refresh, and no be online idle, but be online and run, kill, farm, etc …

For example 1 hour of actively play the game give you 24h more time credit for the decay. Max decay is 10 days.

Then you play you can stay, you do not play anymore this make space for others :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sounds like a good idea too. The only question is:

Is it easy and technically possible to implement it like this?

If the map was 1,000,000 bigger it wouldn’t matter. If the servers were 5/40 and never more it wouldn’t matter. The degradation the serial refreshers cause on server performance is enough.

These are selfish cowards who do useless landclaim only for the self gratification of knowing someone can’t have something. Knowing server crashes and lagginess are because of them. Many of these bastards do it on purpose.

To continue arguing against the fact of the matter proves that. They don’t give a damn about their fellow players.

Yep, some kind of an upkeep system. There have been several ideas over the years, but I’ve lost hope of ever seeing anything like that.

5 Likes

By all means let me know how that goes

The biggest issue with previously suggested upkeep systems is they don’t really work in practice to get the desired results. Like if it takes 1% of the materials per week it took to build a structure. A players buildings that took 100,000 hardened bricks to build would only take 1000 hardened bricks per week to keep up. Its a slight, very slight extra step for someone to go to their brick chest on refresh and dump a stack. For half the cost it took to build, you can upkeep for right about a whole year.

When you start requesting much more than that, it starts becoming a chore for active players. They now have to farm while doing their normal thing.

That’s why I prefer the suggestion about using the new challenge system. It gives it a use after a battlepass is complete. It has challenges that correspond with normal play. And has just a tad bit more effort for a refresher to do. A refresher may have hundred of stacks of stone, fiber, and wood. But they still need to hit up 10 nodes for a single challenge. And if they need to do a few of these a week. They’re effectively actively playing just to keep their stuff going.

They’ll decide either to leave their stuff to decay as its not worth the effort (meaning they don’t really want to play the game anymore), or they be more active and may even get back into the game a bit again. Only the most dedicated will continue to do challenges and nothing else for weeks on end just to keep their builds. And if that’s all they do for weeks or months, well at least they’re doing something. Its a bit more acceptable and palatable.

Not all of them :wink:

I remember proposing one that was designed specifically to be the equivalent of a garbage compactor, precisely because everyone who actively plays the game will have a bunch of surplus stuff that they’ll either hoard in containers or end up dropping on the floor. In hindsight, the biggest problem with that proposal is that I didn’t put that design decision front and center, in big, bold, red, flashing letters :smiley:

Yes, that’s one of the best upkeep system proposals that I’ve seen so far.

2 Likes

Context matters. On a server with only a population of 4 or 5 out of 40 slots, there is literally zero argument for people refreshing.

On a jam packed, popular 40/40 server, its different, and I would agree to let your stuff go if you were to stop playing for an extended period.

1 Like

I don’t think you realize how many people actually play on a server. Even a so-called ‘empty’ one.

A clan member has to visit each build to refresh the timer, it does not just refresh due to another clan member being on line. The thralls do refresh but not the building pieces.

Right? Ive only been on one for 5 years, so I have no idea how many people come and go.

Average population, like I said, runs around 5.

Lots of new players, come for a few days/weeks then leave.

Lots of buildings go up, then down.

I think you forget how officials work, you havent been on them in years.

3 Likes

This is what most do not understand…

We need more players…

And unfortunately my first and maybe a bit superficial impression is that after the recent switch back to seven days there seem to be fewer players on the official server I’m playing on now. For example:

Since the switch to seven days, there are currently no more public map rooms in the volcano crater on server #1040. Less than a week ago, at least two of them still existed in well considered and sensible places for all players. And no, they weren’t just carelessly slapped into the landscape - real building structures had been built underneath and around them.

Should this business policy seriously lead to Conan Exiles gaining more (and maybe new) players now? And above all: Do you want to keep long-established players on the servers with such an agenda towards the players or rather get rid of them? … Based on my first impressions after a few days, I have my doubts about all of this and that this will take on a really constructive development.

1 Like

Good point, but I think there is pvp v pve to work through. So, along with that suggestion, I’m just saying that pvp needs 4x rates as default to stop the insanity while (not my idea) pve still has only 1x. The strategy is just different.

If that sort of structure is allowed, then replace them with your own?

1 Like