PS4 constant crashes, character progress, houses and furniture disappearing afterwards

Game mode: [Offline | Singleplayer] [PS4 Slim model]
Problem: [Crashes + Bugs]
Region: [PEGI]

I’ve recently gotten into this game on the PS4 and enjoyed it a lot, until an increasing amount of issues made it unplayable and extremely frustrating for me. I play single player offline only, with the decay system off. The first dozen or so hours I had no issues, I reached level 20+ and built a modest base before things started going wrong. Here’s a list with details:

-Intermittent crashes to blue screen with error code CE-34878-0
These often occur when standing around and crafting is going on in the background. Since nothing much is going on besides items being made, it might be related to how many items the game can handle being pumped out at any given time - However I only owned a half dozen or so boxes full of stuff. The game and my PS4 system have been up to date. My base at the time these started occurring was a 3-story octagonal tower, 6 tiles wide, on platforms over the water in the river.

-Structures disappearing after crash
After a crash, upon reloading the save, sometimes the structures I have built in the area are completely gone and the area is reset to how it was initially (mobs+resource nodes are back). This affects structures that have been there for many hours and multiple game sessions, so I think this rules out the reason being e.g. the game was ‘‘rolled back’’ to how it was before the last session. Thankfully this doesn’t happen every time.

-Furniture disappearing after crash
Besides structures disappearing, sometimes furniture like crafting stations and boxes vanish as well. Usually the ones that disappear are the ‘‘offending’’ stations, meaning the ones where crafting was going on at the time of the crash. Sometimes after a whole area is wiped clean due to the above issue, a few furniture items remain on the ground.

-Losing building ownership after crash
If I managed to quit without any nasty business happening and reload the game, my structures are thankfully still there. However, should a crash happen afterwards, on the next startup I lose ownership of all previously made structures and cannot snap to+build on them anymore. I checked this with the repair hammer, which shows ‘‘no owner’’ instead of my username. Crafting tables are usually unaffected and do still show my name, however sometimes this happens to them too (e.g. wheel of pain said no owner and could no longer put thralls in it). This also seems to affect thrall ownership, as I can no longer move previously deployed ones (message: ‘‘You can’t touch this!’’) or have them follow me, indicating I am no longer the owner.

-Losing general progress
Seperately from the above mentioned issues, which do not always occur, this is something that occurs after every crash. Following a crash, it appears the game is ‘‘rolled back’’ to a save from a few hours ago. That is to say levels I have gained, points I have spent, buildings built, resources gathered etc. are all reverted to how they were before the last session or two. The other issues are on top of what you already wouldn’t have because of the older save. I assume this is working as intended and like reloading a backup after some other game-breaking issue occurs.

-Losing journey progress
After one of the crashes, my journey was completely reset. The upper right of the screen and the journal showed the first steps of a new character.

-Losing emotes
After one of the crashes, possibly the same one that reset the journey, the emote list was empty. Not only were all the learned emotes gone, but also the basic ones you start with. There being no way to learn those in-game, I had to make do without. It would be helpful to have an admin command to add these to a character.

-Unable to load savegame after saving+ exiting normally.
Last but not least, the straw that broke the camel’s back and prompted me to post here. At some point between trying to figure out these crashes and fixing the damage and many related issues they caused, I thought it’d be a good idea to exit the game normally in order to save before going any further. A moment later as I reloaded the save, the character creation screen showed in the background with the message ‘‘Failed to join requested game’’, essentially meaning my save was gone. This remained the same multiple attempts later. It might have happened because of quitting and immediately restarting, with the game not having enough time to save or something similar. Thoroughly jaded at this point, I had anticipated something like this and uploaded my save into cloud storage beforehand, so was able to restore it with only a few hours progress lost this time. But this was the point where I threw in the towel in my struggle against the game.

And there you have it. I’ve had other issues such as stuttering/freezes mid-combat, five-second-lag when opening inventory, delayed sound and more, but I can deal with those. But the ones listed above have put a stop to my journey in the world of Conan - Hopefully not permanently. I would appreciate some information or an indication something is going to be done in the following months. The crashing issue in particular does not seem to be listed in the PS4 issues status thread, although with a little googling I can find that many other users experience it as well. Thanks in advance for reading this huge wall of text lads

Steps on how to reproduce issue:

1. Progress in game as normal ~dozen hours in, build decently sized base in river area, accumulate items
  2. Craft in multiple stations at the same time
  3. Play for an hour or more
  4. Eventually blue screen crashes will occur which lead to the rest of the issues
14 Likes

I am so happy to see this articulated so well. Hopefully your list will help funcom narrow down and fix these issues. I have had all of this happen plus a few more problems and was not able to accurately express what had happened in a helpful way. Kudos to you. @Tascha can we get responses to any of these things that are not covered in the known ps4 issues

3 Likes

I had exactly the same troubles.
Crash. Structures and furnitures disappearing after crash.
Really really frustrating …

2 Likes

I genuinely feel your frustration. Had/having same issues after 1.14 update (PS4), now game directly after loading screen instantly crashes with error code.Have initialized console and re-installing game. Idk if it will work. I plan to delete all save data (countless hours) if not and try from scratch. Wish someone had a solution, this was quickly becoming my favorite game.

4 Likes

Happened again. Was building a small outpost near blackgalleon for thrall breaking. Blue screened as usual reload game and everything in my hot wheel is gone even though I’m holding an axe and shield. Thought maybe logging out and back in would fix it. Nope log back in and spawned near new asagarth which I hadn’t even been to yet in this play through. My new outpost is gone except 4 foundations. Go back to my main base on outskirts of swungle by noon river and my wheel of pain is gone. New blacksmith bench to replace the one that vanished earlier gone. Tannery gone. Armor bench gone. And strangest of all I had 9 fish traps in the river right next to my base. All lined up nice and neat. The very center fish trap is gone and the other 8 now say no owner. Journey steps did not reset and neither did feats or attributes but all of the emotes are gone. Just an empty wheel with cancel at the top. I’m hooked and know that I’m gonna start over once I calm down. I’ve seen increased dev involvment on here and reddit and I know they are trying so I will hold on for now but no way in hell will I buy any dlc until I can play the base game. Single player offline ps4 pro

2 Likes

Yeah, I got that type of thing here and there also when I could actually load the game. Are devs working on this?

1 Like

Hotfix for Xbox is supposed to be out today. One for ps4 I am assuming coming real soon like tomorrow or early next week. Yea they are working on it but honestly it’s been 1 step forward 2 steps back from my personal experience

Yeah I have to agree with you. I had next to no probs outside of lag online until the last week and now I’m beginning to feel I bought a $30 coaster or conversation piece last month.

I’m holding out for a patch before giving it another go, the apparent save file corruption was too much.

If you want to continue regardless BTP, I highly recommend using the cloud storage save feature (options button on game icon in PS menu, upload saved data, then when needed download it again to overwrite current save). It may come in handy should you lose a lot of stuff at once or a save doesn’t load anymore. However if even that save doesn’t load, that’s it.

Also since this is single player, after losing structures/items to crashes I’d liberally use the admin panel to regain them (server settings->make me admin->back to options->admin panel->spawn in stacks of blocks or benches). Sadly the PS4 version doesn’t seem to have actual console commands, such as typing ‘‘NoOwnership’’ or ‘‘GiveEmote’’, limiting what you can do as admin.

1 Like

This sounds like a problem I was having. I was losing time and in my solo instance to a frustrating degree. I’d restarted in order to save myself the trouble and just grab the Ymir religion from the beginning. I’d decided to admin panel in some T2 materials to save myself time and just play with the creation kit.

Then I quit, went to lunch, continued. Said it had an issue finding my save, try again. I did, load in and my entire second and third floor is -gone-.

At first I thought it was a time thing, right? Like it wasn’t autosaving information after half hour. That’d make sense. So I test that by coming in and placing down a chest and cupboard. Took five minutes at absolute most, probably just one minute. Come back in, and the items are in my radial instead of the room. Oh, and a door is randomly missing. And my Journey was re-set.

I tried rebuilding the PS4 database. Still had the problem.

Tried uploading the save data to cloud, then downloading it back to the actual PS4. Didn’t work.

Deleted the game and re-installed over the night.

Played some. Made sure to back out every so often, total of an hour and a half playtime I’d say. I didn’t notice any problems. I even dropped an item in my footlocker, a glass mold, right before log out. The only thing that I could tell was different when I continued was that it was now day instead of night, but I think that happens “naturally” since your basically restarting your “Server”.

Hopefully this piece of advice will help you: Re-installing the game worked for me.

2 Likes

I had the same issue after assigning Thralls to workstations. I played for hours after, logged out and the next day everything I did after assigning Thralls was gone. I’ve rebuilt, fought enemies and crafted items WITHOUT assigning Thralls to workstations. Logged out and come back with everything intact … don’t know if that was it yet … well see.

PS4 Pro
55" 1080p 240hz 3D
7.1 Yamaha Surround Sound.

Could be coincidental MadStylus, since I’ve also often went an hour and a half without problems in between crashes. I’ll re-download and re-install to see whether anything changes.

Yeah I’m starting to think it’s thralls that are ■■■■■■■■ up the save. Restarted I have 10x gather set and actually enjoy the grind so I don’t admin. Have had 0 problems so far but I’m close to needing thralls. So maybe there is a connection there. If I add thralls and start to have problems then maybe that can help with a fix

Well my thrall causing the issues theory was wrong. No thralls this time. Lost all progress except for foundations and a campfire. Did not lose journey steps or anything else just the building. The only workstations I had placed was a lesser wheel of pain and a forge. Game did not freeze when exiting. Rebuilt database before starting. Can the devs let us know what info we can provide to help?

1 Like

Same here. I have assigned blacksmith and carpenter. As soon as I assign them I jump in a building, close the door and log out and then log back in. So far so good. I’ll post if any issues arise

Thank you for such a detailed post.
We are aware of these issues but the added detail is super helpful. Happy to take this back to the team :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We’ll take this back to the team and update the list accordingly.
I actually (theoretically) have a day off today but we are your voice and the community needs to be heard so there you go :smiley:

5 Likes

I built a bunch more on my base two nights ago. Logged in last night and trees were growing in my base that I can’t remove. Also, part of the base says I don’t own it when trying to dismantle a wall I was unhappy with the placement of. Basically, anything I built on the night before is no longer owned by me. Playing offline solo mode.

Same happened to me. I was not able to find a fix

Deleted save file from system storage and haven’t had an issue yet. Apparently was corrupted somehow (did not show as corrupt). Lost everything I had done since release but it’s playable again.

1 Like