Pulling up Friends/Cabal List freezes game

Opening the friends/cabal list freezes the game sometimes and occasionally crashes the entire game. Has happened to me many times and the people I play with. Not a gamebreaking problem but an annoying one since I like to check who is online to play with

Thanks

Same things happening to me Can we please get this fixed Funcom? Its really anoying. I just returned to the game but if things continue like this not sure I will stay :frowning:

This was already mentioned elsewhere. Can’t remember if it was a forum post, a reddit post, or a comment in Discord.

My response is the same: Do you have Valkyrie’s friend mod installed? I do not have it and I have no problems at all. It’s possible it’s causing issues since it’s quite old and not updated for SWL.

Nope I dont have it instaled

Thanks.

How many friends/cabal/ignored people do you have?

No ignored. 2-3 friends and Cabal people

Opening the cabal interface with shift G and going to member list also seems to cause fps drop sometimes.
I’ve tried it with and without VFE, there are times when it’s fine with and without, and then there are times when it causes the fps drop, but I’ve not seen any kind of pattern. Relogging doesn’t seem to fix it either - if you relog with your friends list open then it will sometimes crash you straight from loading in.

Hi I have a problem whenever I open the cabal list game freeze so its imposible to play .

Does it make any difference if you open the cabal list in different zones, or does it freeze everywhere?

Tried in Agarta and tried in Kingsmouth, same thing. Sometimes just cause fps drop and sometimes just freeze the game and have to exit to windows and right click mouse close it.

I’ve never had this problem and I have about 40 friends, a cabal list almost 100 long, and about 50 ignored people.

I would very much prefer if Funcom fix this problem, since it rolled out with the december update, and it’s now february.

In fact it’s not just a mild annoyance, it’s absolutely P*****g me off. I literally cannot open the friends list and interact or be sociable, without crashing. Literally has just happened 6 times in a row; crashing from opening the friends list.

I mean, they have time to come out with a stupid patron bundle, which ignores their lifetime patrons… But they don’t have time to fix game-breaking bugs and annoying crash-inducing problems? Priorities are seriously skewed.

1 Like

This is still happening in April of 2019. New player with a fresh install and no mods. I can barely interact with the Cabal window and it grinds the game to a halt.

So, this is to anyone still experiencing this problem. It has nothing to do with mods or how many people are in your cabal/friends list. It has something to do with the way the cabal tab pings the server. I think what makes it a semi-random problem has to do with how many players in-game are trying to check their lists at the same time.

While it would be nice if Funcom fixed the problem themselves, it looks like that’s unlikely to happen at this point. Fortunately, there is a mod that fixes the problem. I used to have constant crashes to the point that I stopped checking my friends list at all, but since I’ve installed the mod I haven’t had any issues. Unfortunately, I don’t know of a direct link to it, and I can’t upload it here. I got it from someone in-game via a random discord link. I also wouldn’t feel comfortable uploading it to some download site as I’m not the one who created it and I don’t know the person who did.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the chance of it happening does correlate to the number of people in your cabal and/or on your friend list. Normally when you open the friend list window, the game interface draws a table that shows all your friends or cabal members which takes some time on slower PCs or if you have hundreds of cabal members (Agnitio for example has ~500 members). Normally when someone goes online or offline or his/her status changes in someway, the server sends a notification about it to the game client and the table gets refreshed/redrawn. The problem is that this notification system seems to be bugged and often the game interface receives these notifications multiple times each seconds and literally gets spammed by requests to refresh the friend/cabal list table. If the PC can’t keep up with these requests and the game interface receives these requests more often than the time it takes to redraw the table, then the game hangs and crashes.

So Agnitio people made a workaround that disables this auto-refresh feature which seems to fix the issue.
With the consent of the creator I uploaded the mod:

Installation instructions are in the included README.txt

6 Likes

Fair enough. I shouldn’t have said it has nothing to do with how many people are in your various lists. I was mainly trying to say it had nothing to do with the friends mod and then threw in the lists as well. I should have worded it better. While the problem may be exacerbated by having a large cabal list, I mean to say that having the large cabal list isn’t the root cause of the problem. Our cabal, Legio Fulminata, also has about 500 members (and maybe 50 that still play), and it hasn’t really grown since I joined over a year ago. The problem with freezes/crashes seemed to pop up a few months ago, but that’s just based off my own experience and from what I’ve heard from others. Maybe it was always a problem but not as widespread.

Anyway, regardless of the exact cause, it’s great that there’s some players out there that have stepped up to fix something Funcom couldn’t be bothered with. Thanks for providing a link to the fix. And a special thank you to whoever created it.

Why did this start happening?
Because it’s still happening - even with the fix provided.
It’s not just a simple freeze either, it’s a complete lock up of the game that it wants to close and end the program.

Yeah, it was alright for a couple months (after I booted out our members who hadn’t logged in since 2017) but now it’s back to freezing and crashing again.

I swear every time they add in an event or take it out, it breaks/re-breaks something in the game.

Can’t add a friend
Can’t view friends list
Can’t view cabal list
Can’t use friends list functions
…

Our Cabal does a purge once a year… does our regular friends list show when someone last logged in? I’m thinking about purging my friends list.