PVE Etiquette, looking for opinions

Greetings everyone, I’ve been lurking on the forums for a while and thought I might get in on the shenanigans.
So I’ve been playing on a PVE official server since launch on the PS4. At first it was pretty sweet, clans were helping each other with elevators and public map rooms etc.
Then something changed, the cool people left and now there appears to be small clans that do nothing but block off travel routes with massive sandstone walls and build ridiculous super highways everywhere. These things are 3 foundations wide by 20 high with a road on top and lag the hell out of the server in the areas they are located.
I discovered that I can kite the boss monster at the last wave of a purge to these structures and get them to start chewing on the offending structures.
My question is: Is this poor form or am I playing the game as intended in PVE?
Also, I’m kinda sick of fighting the bone dragon everyday so it seems like a good use for him.
Thanks for reading and any input is appreciated.

2 Likes

Wow, you’re getting purged every day? I didn’t get a purge in months, even though my purge meter is always maxxed out.

As to your question: No, that’s probably not how the devs intended PvE to be played, but why does it matter? Who says we should play how other people want us to play? I think your idea of kiting the boss is brilliant.

2 Likes

Yeah, I cop purges on a regular basis. Either undead with the bone dragon at my main base near New Asagarth or scorpions with the world boss at my starter base near the Hand of the Maker. I’ve also had a scorpion one at my slave station outside Set City.
It’s like as soon as the meter hits the first bar it’s game on lol. I started dragging the bosses around the neighbourhood because it seemed like I was the only one on the server having all the fun :wink:

1 Like

If the walls’ sole purpose is to impede travel, rather than as part of a grand design (bigass city, say, or the beginnings of a grand fortress), then I’d say you’re well-justified. Have you tried talking w/these guys?

They’re blocking access to named thrall spawns, and yesterday I interrupted them trying to block an obelisk, fortunately I can build quicker and made an open gate on one side :joy:. Tried talking to them on the mic (no chat on PS4) and they ran off. As far as I’m concerned now they’re the servers virus and I’m it’s immune system. Tomorrow I’ll check the starting area and see what’s going on down there.
None of it makes sense to me because it’s PVE, so what’s the point of denying content to other players.

4 Likes

Oh yeah—if they’re blocking obelisks, they’re trolling ■■■■■■■■. Behavior like that is just abominable, but Funcom will not address it. Lead them Bosses wherever you like, sir.

3 Likes

If someone is messing with your game and building server lagging BS structures then I say kite away. I can tell you that I have set up many public map rooms, with signs encouraging use, made ramps and elevators all open for public use in the volcano, and even rebuilt my base to reopen a route I accidentally closed. I have now been repeatedly kited by world bosses and lost several thralls. All of these public resources are now going away and the major points of travel through my area have to be blocked to stop people from kiting me. My point is, that you have to do what you have to do.

1 Like

Originally my main base was to big and the perimeter wall was blocking access to some paths so I made it smaller because it felt like a dog act. I wouldn’t mind so much what they’re doing but their structures lack any creativity and are just bland walls.

People like this are why I will not play online. Between crap like this & killing people who are logged off and calling it “pvp”…yeah. Eff that.

4 Likes

Coming from ARK I figured the official servers would be like this so just started my own right away.
Unofficial is the way to go for pve, set rules and you know… actual admins that enforce them.

Though I dunno how it works for ps4 if they can host their own servers on Conan?

2 Likes

Kiting the bosses to the douche bags structures seems fine to me given the circumstances.

My advice though is find you a nice private pve server man. Game becomes so much more fun when the trolls get booted fast and admins are quick and reasonable.

1 Like

First, are you on an official server? I’ve heard those are basically the wild west with limited to no moderation.

Second, as to PvE etiquette, I would agree that it is, or should be, frowned upon to block off access to obelisks and areas of ingress/egress to portions of the map. But, not much etiquette in the wild west. As such, your solution to kite purge mobs to the offending structures seems justified.

Third, if you are on an official server, or on a private server where this is happening, shoot me a psn message and we can get you set up on our rented server. We wouldn’t put up with that garbage. Fortunately, as of yet, we have a decent group of friendly players and you really wouldn’t have to worry about it.

3 Likes

On Official, anything goes. And I do mean ANYTHING. This includes blocking spawns, exploiting, hacking, racism, bigotry, homophobia, ect. It is an unmoderated wild west.

On Private, its whatever the server owner says. They’re usually stricter about the above things and usually you can find a server that matches your tastes. But you may have to bounce around a bit. Understand that you are a guest on someone’s rented spot though. You can be removed at anytime.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.