Rename and Recustomize Character

Could we very soon have an option to recustomize and rename our characters? Itd go very well with the new bio update. I just want to have the option to change my name from something other than my gamertag or if I made a typo. Also, itd be cool to have the option to play with a beard or not. Or different hairstyle. Thanks!

19 Likes

If you are on PC, i think there are mods for this. As far as renaming, it would need a major cool down for PVP and PVE-C, as id’ing the enemies is part of the game.

2 Likes

PS4. I agree about the cool down. Maybe a week or two or longer. Then you can change it again if youd like. But ppl should be able to change hair and name at least. I think its a necessary option to have, and the next logical thing to add in.

6 Likes

I agree on the hair, beards, even eye and lip colors.

1 Like

The only issue with the name, is that your character’s code is disguised and hiding behind that name. To change your name could bug out the game and cause you to lose access to certain items or boxes you own. I think they should correct this, but I have seen that exact problem on PC with a mod that changed names going awry.

the name should only be done by recreating your character, but hairstyle / face hair should be able to be done in your base OR a npc.

5 Likes

There would be a cool down period, like a week or two or longer. Character Creator doesnt make it very easy to understand you can name your character, so you end up with it just being you PSN name. That’s happened to A LOT of people. Oscar talked in a stream about doing this, I just hope its soon… They can figure it out where its not going to effect access im sure. Its all tied to PSN name/Gamertag/Username, that’ll always stay the same

4 Likes

If they can untie the land claim from the player’s name, and tie it to the player, somehow it’d be easier to change your name boopy doopy. It is just unfortunate that your name is tied to everything so you lose it all upon recreating your avatar.

It can work. And theyve said theyll do it. I feel its very needed. I hope its soon. With a long cooldown period for the name, itll be very well received I feel

1 Like

I don’t think your character’s name is used as a key (data wise) anywhere, so it should not be a big deal technically to allow this. Granted, I haven’t peeked at the database structure in a good year or more, so I could be wrong.

5 Likes

I think a rename option does sound reasonable, as long as it’s not abused.

As for appearance changes, yes, absolutely. Stage out hair/beard growth, with various styles available at certain lengths, with a mechanic for cutting or shaving it and waiting for it to regrow.

Also allow for the addition of scars, perhaps even a selection of unique scars per boss you’ve defeated.

Same, perhaps, for tattoos and war paints, with unique markings available from meeting certain NPC’s, or racial unlocks.

Might even implement a bit of tanning for those who’ve lingered long in the desert, or bleaching for those who’ve migrated to the snowy north and taken root.

There are many ways in which appearance changes can be implemented without merely redesigning one’s character on a whim, remaining lore- AND RP-friendly in the process.

6 Likes

Itd be cool to be able to customize our thralls as well (hair, facepaint, warpaint, etc…) come to think of it, there are no blonde thralls. But more importantly, id like to rename myself and change my hair more than anything

2 Likes

We need a way to change our character appearance in game, almost every online game offers this feature, there is no reason why we also dont have it…

The same goes for names. People can find out who you are by your Steam ID, its not like you can grief somebody and change names later to keep your identity hidden. Both services should be available in game.

Character focus is welcome AND needed, its crazy we have one of the most powerful building tools (perhaps the most powerful tool?) available in sandbox games, but our characters appearance is IMPOSSIBLE to change once created! We have to permanently stick with the same look!!

3 Likes

One thing that I think would help is if the naming portion of character creation was a bit more obvious. I can’t tell you how many people I’ve seen where their character name is their Steam name simply because the player didn’t realize they could change it.

What I’d do is add an additional tab to the red character creation screens with fields for you to set your name, crimes, and type a bio if desired. When on that screen, the character preview would switch from the character’s face & body to the parchment note describing the reason for being exiled.

In this way, it would be a bit more obvious how to edit these things and there would be more context for what you’re setting.

5 Likes

I just wanna point out you actually can put warpaint on them. But that is all. I agree with ya, though.

Kind of a pop menu with your steam id defaulted, but cursor blinking to let you know it is editable. That would help a lot.

3 Likes

Yea you can change clan name, no reason you cant change your own

2 Likes

How many people started the game without knowing you could name them?

4 Likes

Think I needed 3 months before I realized this by reading an article in the forum, but it was much too late.
Would greatly appreciate to be able to change the Name to something more immersive, at least one time after character creation. And of course changing the hair or cosmetics. And of course the option to go back to normal height, if you are tired from the broken physics with clothing & hairstyle.

1 Like

Virtually everyone I’ve played with never realized how to customize the name of their character. If nothing else, naming the character should be part of the tab-based portion of character creation. Setting the name on the parchment scroll (especially since clicking “Edit” doesn’t have a visual effect) is not intuitive at all.

4 Likes