Schrodinger's mod

So until very very recently, I ran the “WYSIWYG Wheel of Pain” mod on my server. It was lightweight, added to immersion, and frankly just made sense. The mod’s base functionality has since been added to the core game, so the mod was basically duplicate code. A friend of mine tried to join my private server overnight & reported back that she was blocked by a mod called simply “unknown”. I looked at the load order, determined that it was the WYSIWYG, and decided to just remove it.

Here’s where it gets sticky: the mod was already gone from Steam Workshop. It showed that I was subscribed to it, but when I clicked on the mod title to go to the mod page, a “whoopsie, our bad” screen popped up. The mod was gone. Okay, fine, I unsubscribed & went to my server settings (GPortal) to remove the mod there. Except, lo and behold, it wasn’t there! Like it had removed itself! “How convenient,” thought I, and tried to load into the game. “Hold up,” said my server. “Our mods don’t match! You don’t have UNKNOWN.”

So here’s the problem. I need to remove a mod from my Gportal server that isn’t even visible to remove. Gportal’s customer service has historically been…lacking. Any suggestions?

Update: I’ve been in touch with Gportal’s “customer support” (insert hysterical laughter here), and if I gleaned anything of value from their terse reply, the answer may lie in accessing the server’s ftp files. I tried doing that via Windows Explorer and was told Windows couldn’t access the ftp server; I wasn’t given an opportunity to provide username/password. Plugging on…

The plot thickens: A friend of mine is able to access the server. He logged in & is presently playing on it. I continue to get hit by a mod mismatch. And Gportal’s “customer service” continues to be…well, Gportal.

On a related note, can anyone recommend a server provider that has a customer service motto other than “sucks to be you, pal”?

I’m at my wit’s end. Tried to use Filezilla to access Gportal’s ftp site. Filezilla advised me that 1) the site is insecure (!) and 2) the password provided by Gportal was wrong.

I just. [collapses into incoherent swearing]

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

With the mod no longer showing, have you tried to run the repair function? It may or may not resolve the issue.

I am not too familiar with FTP side of the server to give much help. Only used it to pull the backup for Funcom to look at the 0,0,0 bug.

If you can get into the FTP server, I would either wipe the offending mod (assuming you know which it is with the number scheme) or wipe all the mods and reinstall the active mods which should get rid of the issue.

Those are the only suggestions I have at this time. I also tend to rely on Gportal Customer Support for odd issues.

Gportal finally figured out what the problem was & resolved it. It seems as though once they finally understood what I was talking about (maybe a language barrier?), it only took like 4 minutes to resolve. @Sir.Henry.Vale, I didn’t try the repair function, though in retrospect I probably should have. Might’ve saved me a few hours of [insert frenzied swearing]. It is troubling to me that Filezilla reported that the ftp site was wildly unsecure, and that the password assigned to me by Gportal was actually wrong. I need to get the hell away from these people.

3 Likes

Its a hit and miss with Gportal. Sometimes they do a great job resolving the issue when explained the first time. Other times… its a struggle. At least they do respond quickly to my queries.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.