Scout your enemies: Building a simple spyglass

Dear Devs
I suggest to add the possibility to build a simple spyglass for scouting your enemies.
You have the ingredients: glass, steel, and anything else for a recipe.
And you have already the mechanics in the game to implement a spyglass: when using a spyglass change to first person view. Then use the current zoom effect of the bow of the older live version 32, increase this zoom effect, add a spyglass frame to the view and at least add a little blur effect for the glass.

I guarantee you: all players will use this spyglass and it will increase the fun and the experience with this game :grinning:

30 Likes

As stated in a different thread, I absolutely love this idea! I am salivating over it. In fact, I’ve a new outlook on life, one that is zoomed, slightly hazy and scratched, but still wonderful!

The silver haired Zingaran belly-crawls to the edge of the rocky ledge, lifts a weathered, leather and iron spyglass to his left eye and begins surveying the immediate area, his right eye pinched shut and right hand shadowing any glare from the glass. He sweeps the glass slowly to his right, now scanning the southeastern section of the small encampment, spots a couple standing near a cauldron and pauses
He murmurs softly to himself, “Hmmm. What are those two up to?” then lowers the spyglass, rolls onto his left side, eyes the shifty looking Zamorian in a threadbare loincloth picking at his dirty fingernails with a gleaming steel poniard and commands, “Skeev, get back there.” He points to the area of interest then continues. “Get rid of the man and bring us that fiery redhead.” He furrows his brow momentarily then nods and begins to grin. “We’re certain to get some answers out of her. And by ALL the Gods, maybe even a decent cook in the bargain!”

Yes. Yes. The idea is sublime. Also, I am not much of a gambler, so I’ll not immediately back Bijay’s guarantee with words. However, I will loom behind him, occasionally pump my fist into my hand, grunt and scowl.

5 Likes

this would be really really great, but i am not sure if there was something like spyglass in world of Barbar Conan. Is there anyone who has more knowledge about lore from books or comics. Would it be lore vise correct?

1 Like

I wanna say we had answered this in one of our streams. :thinking:
Someone had asked about it and Joel answered
maybe the last stream or the one before that. But I think the problem with spyglasses or telescope is the draw distance. NPCs or animals and such wouldn’t show up from far away. I still think it’s something that would fit into the universe though! And maybe we can figure something out and consider adding one at some point. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

9 Likes

@Spynosaur_Nicole
Oh - this would be really awesome. :smiley: Thank you very much Nicole.
@Kessi
I searched for articles for using spyglasses or telescopes in ancient times and found this on ASTRONOMY TREK:
“According to Roman historian Pliny, glass-making was discovered accidentally by the Phoenicians around 5000 BC, while cooking on the desert sand. However, the earliest man-made glass objects were found later around 3500 BC in Egypt and Mesopotamia, with lenses no doubt being made soon after the discovery.”

1 Like

thank you for your post Nicole :slightly_smiling_face: it is good to see some response. Now dont get me wrong, i understand that you cant throw promises all around the web but sometimes it feels like “Avada at some point-davra” :grin:

2 Likes

I prefer just sneaking right up close to the enemy base and scouting it out up-close. That’s a lot more fun to me. When you’re in there, sometimes you can catch a peek through a window, or notice a crafting station that is outside, with a few scant materials left on it. You might even hear the padding of footsteps. Much more exciting!

It’s a cool idea, but I think the Devs always need to be wary not to fall into the ‘Ark’ trap, of adding more content “just cause it’s cool”. New ideas should be very persuasive to be added into the game — otherwise, it ends up being too cluttered.

2 Likes

@TwinCrows
I always used the FPV zoom effect of the bow in the live version 32 to spy out the npc locations. But the bow mechanics will change for release. Mainly the player then has to use the third person perspective. So why not keeping the old zoom mechanics in first person view and change it to a spyglas mechanics. Its nothing new, it was already in the old live version. The programmers should only make some graphical changes to the view (spyglass frame, blur effect). :innocent:

1 Like

Yes. This. Plus it’s recycling, so it’s good for everybody!

1 Like

spyglass

Sugestion material for recipe
a) shaped wood
b) glass
c) ivory

3 Likes

Instead of increasing the draw distance why not just make it so you can see the player name / health of what you’re looking at. It would still be useful

4 Likes

I assume no real barbarian would use such a magic!

4 Likes

i agree, but it would be nice asset to games quality of life

1 Like

The barbarian will certainly use a „magical“ spyglass when it reveals the whole truth, showing the people naked😇

X-Ray specs! Get ‘em quick! See through your enemies’ bases before they load in!

I would love to see this in the game :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

^ This, Please make it so you can see nametags without being locked on. (on thralls)

2 Likes

yeeah, it wolud be cool to see at good distance if that suspicious dude/gal is a friendly face who already know or someone u really dont wanna cross by hehe
*Important fact that most ppl forget
 there are already PIRATES on game
 yes desert pirates bcuz of bad turn of fate, but there isnt much more to argue, if there are pirates on land they sure didnt trash yers old precious spyglasses :laughing:
ayyyeee fellow exiles and rise our beer and rum cups on FC flag :skull_and_crossbones::beer::tumbler_glass::skull_and_crossbones:

2 Likes

I think this is a great idea! specally to use the current zomm ability from the bows. :smiley:

3 Likes

So Devs, what do you mean? - would you consider to spend us Exilers a simple spyglass :pray:t3: for next dlc?

3 Likes