Siptah is too dark

Suddenly he realized he should have brought a flashlight?
Because the night is dark and full of horrors, and we all know it.

However, there is nothing wrong with a game that bills itself as a survival game having darkness be an actual challenge.
If it’s too much of a pain, just huff argossean dream dust.
This one jests.
Except in the darkest of situations, that stuff along with any other night eye option is painfully bright. Last time this one used the eye patch that provides that boon in the woods it seemed to strip the darkening filter before applying the shift and it was no bueno.

Seriously tho, this isn’t like baking bread in a clucking furnace rather than at the stove for counter intuitive situations. Woods and Karst terrains aren’t as well lit and are ripe for ambush.
Does Siptah need more terrain types than it currently has?
In this one’s opinion, yes.
Is the default lighting on the beach and in the Stormwrack too oblique and never a bright midday, especially considering it never rains nor is overcast other than the magi-storm?
Also, in this one’s opinion, yes.

However, this one thinks the thing that makes the low light of the areas that are worst lit most egregious is how much of the island they cover.
Roughly a third of the map, and a much larger chunk of the buildable part of the map being in the shadow zone is an issue. If we had one or two of the biomes as gloom lands it wouldn’t feel as oppressive. But when it’s nearly half… Well, that’s a different story.

2 Likes

That would be the ultimate answer if it weren’t also true in the middle of the day (in the forest) and in so many other biomes during the maelstrom. It’s just too dark too much of the time in too many places. When that becomes total blackness it compounds the notion that the map is too dark. That’s an opinion of course - that’s my opinion for sure. And it’s not like FC has some set sense of what the lighting level should be as they’ve radically changed it twice already (and several minor changes as well) - it’s just that the last change left a few things too dark in the opinions of most people I talk to as well as my own.

Mmm, I’m good with the beach areas and most of the open fields in Siptah. And I haven’t thought about it deeply but I think I’m OK with the biome diversity as well.

Hmm, yeah, that makes good sense!

2 Likes

I would say - play with settings… Brightness and Gamma…

I always tought both lands are too bright to be honsest, with gamma and bright at max i dont understand others who use torches xD… only when in caves or dungeons :smiley:

Yeah, that’s a partial fix. You can even use the NVidia or AMD controls to do it on a per-game basis so the screen looks normal for other games. However if you are on more than one CE server with different maps then you’re F’ed. What looks about right for Siptah completely blows out EL and SW.

1 Like

Going to have to say I completely disagree with you here. Either your settings are off, your eyes are off, or your monitor is off. I see perfectly fine on siptah. I play on an official server, on stock auto graphics settings in game, and stock settings on my laptop screen. Its the exact same brightness to me as exiles, but exiles has less detail and contrast. I switch between siptah and exiles land all the time. THE ONLY difference i can see throwing people off is the maelstrom. 15 min daybreak, 15 min mid day, 15 min dusk, and 15 min of nighttime is what exiles map players are used to. Throw in the 1 hour 45 min time between maelstroms and people get so bent out of shape. If you ask me, the lighting on siptah is more dynamic and realistic, but too many people are used to exiles map which is like simple lighting. Im pretty sure siptah has a newer lighting version. Oh well im happy so :man_shrugging:t2:

Bring a touch it shall shine the light! Or a hip holster for skull lantern and a holster for a horse too!!

Always things to ask funcom for you know they are for the fun.

It’s not the setting, it’s the Maelstrom’s atmospheric effects exceeding just the Maelstrom (and immediate border) region, and encompassing the whole island - even if the position of the sun should actually make that impossible, as that area wouldn’t be obstructed by the storm itself.

This was not how it worked pre the UE4 engine update from last year (somewhere between 2.3 and 2.5, if memory serves right).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.