Siptah is too dark

(Exept the grey isle area)

Please increase lightning for the main island and the first men area.

And I am playing with gama 3.0 in game !!!

3 Likes

EL is ok, but siptah too dark like many others players.

1 Like

No.

The grey isle is ok like EL, but not the main island and the first men island.

Geoforce RTX 2060

1 Like

This one thinks the two southern expansions are where they should be.

For the main island, it seems odd to this one.
The Redwood forest and the Crags are about right. Simply put, those areas should be more shaded, and they are.

However, the center, even at midday, when there is no storm, it does seem the light is coming in at an oblique angle. It’s never noon bright, at best mid morning or afternoon. Likewise the north-eastern island.

This one has been flopping back and forth from between Siptah and Exiled Lands and it seems like only the Island of Dawn ever gets to the same light level as most of the former Khari annex.

3 Likes

I’m fully there with the darkness problems. I don’t understand how I can fix that. My friend can see when it’s night/in the shadows. But for me, the screen literally goes pitch black. The only way it could be darker is if I shut off my monitor. I’ve turned my gamma all the way up and futzed with all the video controls, trying to improve it, but still. In some of the dungeons, I literally have to have someone on discord direct me through, because I can’t see which way the path goes.

2 Likes

Sure, Siptah can be bright, but between maelstroms and always dark areas they have chosen to make it too dark too much of the time. Siptah was actually great before the big lighting patch, then it got worse, and it just got worse again with the addition of the southern landmass that includes the always gloomy primitive man area. I have to crank my gamma up from 2 for Exiled Lands to 2.5 for Siptah just to make it playable at all, so that’s a bad inconsistency that should be fixed.

When it comes to exploring and playing Siptah there are tons of hidden things to interact with and pick up, and enemies attacking from every direction, so it is actually very important to be able to see clearly. As a result I end up using night vision way more on Siptah than EL, and as a result Siptah looks like garbage most of the time (night vision makes it so you can see things, but it’s also ugly as sin).

1 Like

Ok thanks, I think it is a video card issue that for some players siptah is too dark.
But if we can have siptah a little more like EL it will help.
Now I play EL 2.20 gamma and siptah 3.0 gamma in game! (And it is still too dark).

1 Like

Ya all the lighting is fine for me on siptah. But people get thrown off with the maelstrom. The timing sometimes can get long especially after a storm and then its night time. To me when its daylight its more then bright enough. The sun does however not go over the island like normal, it hangs around the south. Not sure if thats normal. All the timers are exactly the same as exiles except for the storm. But then again I like the dark, makes lighting my base even better. Id rather they add snow and rain before more light tbh

1 Like

The client could provide an easy gamma setting that is saved locally every session. Having to do it through the GPU’s UI is not immersive.

Rather than adjusting gamma, try working on your monitors brightness, contrast, and color settings. There are some color settings you can change that will turn your glossed over lcd into something shockingly vibrant. I cant believe it came with washed out settings by default.

1 Like

There are many good suggestions in this thread, but like the OP stated, Siptah is just too dark in many places. My monitor settings are just fine for other games and even the Exiled Lands, but Siptah is just awful to play on with its lighting problems.

4 Likes

Siptah used to be fine before 2.3 (or was it 2.4…?) - I remember people complained about it being “too bright”, which to a degree it was (we’re speaking about “night, no Maelstrom” situation). From what I recall, Funcom did 2 things at the same time:

• changed the night “darkness”, upon request from the players (good)
  • changed the particle/lightning system, to update it to some newer version of UE4 (ok - but it cumulated with change #1)

The result is that now the nights on Siptah are pitch black, and not even a torch can generate enough light to be able to move relatively comfortable around.

Another issue is that the Maelstrom effects now tend to radiate all around the island - without regards to the actual lightning path. It’s somewhat understandable, as the game doesn’t have RayTracing - but it’s somewhat depression-aggrevating, when you see the sun clearily, no light obstruction should be occuring - but just because there’s a storm in the middle, every square meter outside it is being turned into a dark and depressive spot. I remember it wasn’t like that, and the area outside the storm (pre the mentioned before changes) used to be somewhat normal, and it was only the storm area that was “darkened”.

2 Likes

Dunno, but the result was that - despite a 40-slot server, where classic was almost always hovering around the limit - Siptah was a deserted wasteland (we’re a private server cluster that last year sported classic + Siptah, now it’s classic+Siptah+Savage Wilds - and interconnected by Amunet’s transfer mod).

We still have that that people either ask for the admins to make it again day, or just transfer out once the night hits - and I don’t blame them, as (opposite to classic or SW) - the nights on Siptah, due to the different color/particle settings (the colors on Siptah are more…saturated, I guess? Looks like a different filter is used there tbh) are really “cripling”.

And yes, I didn’t mind the pre-changes Siptah nights at all.

It can get really dark in Siptah, especially in the elder vaults (would love to get the different coloured torches and braziers from them and the leyshrines), the tower at the centre and the volcanic island in the lower SW. the maelstrom does not help matters either.

1 Like

My wife and I recently started a Siptah server ps4. In game its typically darker on her television than mine although I have tinkered with the settings finally changed the day and night settings on server still have some darker times that shouldn’t be caused by maelstrom. And vaults are really dark.

This ^^^

Yeah, the giant forests in Siptah are a bit too realistic. This is fine if you actually are in such a forest in real life - as your pupils can dilate eventually and you can see. It’s not great in a video game because your pupils adjust to the room lighting and the screen then looks too dark. And even if your pupils could adjust to the computer screen alone there is not enough dynamic range in the rendered frames with Conan - so all the details are clipped and there’s no information to see.

5 Likes

This one simply takes that as an approximation of how easy it is to ambush in the woods or a karst. While there are factors limiting stealth in game (glares at the health bars), between the shade, the render and clip, and the oblique angle, it is almost easy to get jumped in those areas.

However, this one can see how it would be a strain for some eyes. There are some audio ques, perhaps those would be better enhanced for those areas. The Woods and the Canyons do love their echoes.

2 Likes

For PvE it’s frustration when trying to forage, navigate, plan base builds, or when you’re low level and trying to avoid death by bear, lynx, or gator.

2 Likes

This one would almost say that is a feature rather than a bug.
Also, this one was eaten by a surprise three skull lynx on their first venture into the woods. Spawn point was in the Eastern side, and being a true man of genius (this is joke) thought to go inland by staying to the river. A sound move in the Exiled Lands… Not so much in the Redwoods.
Now, this one accepts ambushed by demon kitteh in the woods much more than they accept stealth backstab with lance from horseback for x5 damage (but that is a different gripe)… That’s how apex predators in the woods be. But clear is the recollection of strolling along and then suddenly being a corpse before the music even changed. But this one is loathe to call it anything other than how it should be.

Foraging is a pain. Honestly as much as this one loathes the second survival perk, this one would prefer it be replaced with something that gives harvestable (or just interactable) items more pop out from the background. So many items just lying in rubbish heaps and stones that can be harvested looking like default terrain pieces that cannot. However, the shadows make finding specifics much more challenging.

2 Likes

Hehe, I don’t think it’s going to be a very popular feature. :smiley:

New feature of our now improved rendering engine makes gameplay more realistic then reality itself! Once you experience it you won’t want to play any other game:

Like buying a book with all blank pages. :smiley:

Page 62:
“As the sun sank below the hazy red horizon the silent blackness of night settled in the forest. Suddenly we realized…”

Page 63 ~ 95 (intentionally left blank)

Page 96:
“Ronny had been eaten by a grue and the horses were scattered as if something had happened no one was aware of…”

2 Likes