Some links about Tencents 29% Acquisition of shares in Funcom

Massivelyop Article On Tencent’s 29% Aquisition of shares

Extracted from Massivelyop:

“Tencent has a reputation for being a responsible long-term investor, and for its renowned operational capabilities in online games,” Funcom CEO Rui Casais says in the announcement. “The insight, experience, and knowledge that Tencent will bring is of great value to us and we look forward to working closely with them as we continue to develop great games and build a successful future for Funcom.”

Notably, the PR does mention the DUNE IP multiple times and suggests that the first game, the open-world sandbox, is “working closely with Legendary Entertainment who will be releasing a new DUNE feature film in December 2020 directed by Denis Villeneuve.”

Extracted from PC Gamer:

Norwegian publisher and developer Funcom, the outfit behind Conan Exiles, The Secret World and an upcoming series of games based on Dune has announced that Chinese gaming giant Tencent will soon own a 29% share in their company.

In their official press release, Funcom state that Tencent is acquiring the share of the company currently held by Norwegian firm KGJ Capital AS, and (as noted by Reuters) have done so at a premium), and while the ink hasn’t yet dried on this deal, it is far along enough to be officially declared.

While a major power in the Chinese games industry, Tencent have been investing heavily in publishers and developers around the world. Last year they became the majority shareholder in Path Of Exile studio Grinding Gear Games. They also own a large share in Epic Games (although Epic is keen to stress this does not put Tencent in charge), and their investment in Ubisoft may have prevented a hostile takeover by Vivendi. They also own shares in Riot, Paradox and Frontier.

While this may mean a lot for the financial stability of companies like Funcom, it seems unlikely to have much effect on the company’s short-term plans, which includes further expansion for survival sandbox Conan Exiles (including mounted combat later this year) and a series of Dune games, intended to be tied into next year’s film remake, directed by Denis Villeneuve.

And the pièce de résistance

3 Likes

Thanks for the info!
I remember hearing the Tencent name . . . I want to say in a YouTube vid about CyberPunk 2077 backlash. Can’t remember ATM the connection, though, except that yes, they are a major playor in the Chinese gaming market.
Related: I was a fan of Villeneuve’s Blade Runner 2049.
The Las Vegas sequence definitely was Dune-ish.
And also featured Bees, IIRC.
Coincidence? or, conspiracy?

1 Like

Absolutely a conspiracy -
giphy%20(8)

Someone get a hold of these people and give them the down low. We need SWL help.

2 Likes

Even better, bring back TSW, and put this free to play nonsense behind us forever, one can dream…

3 Likes

I think they would take one look at it and say “nice shop, shame about the decor”
perhaps they might advise what we have said all along “You have to give them something to do”
meanwhile - it’s monday

2 Likes

Geee,hope they wont disturb all the people working on SWL…o.O

LMAO :smiley:

6 Likes

Lol hey when I’m on I sign up for all dungeons and all roles to help the peeps out. I can’t on Mondays and Wednesdays though. I may leave class early tonight since I’m ahead just to help you freaks out. How 'bout dat?

1 Like

Agent system as a stand alone cell phone game when?

3 Likes

Chinese are excellent at micro-transactions. I wonder what this means for SWL

Spoiler: nothing

4 Likes

He looks like a very satisfied customer . . .
I wonder if they have staff we could borrow?

2 Likes

Maybe the first Cache in what will soon be over a year? I mean, here’s the announcement of the Oni Cache: https://www.secretworldlegends.com/2018/10/10/introducing-the-oni-war-cache/

10/10/2018. Also around the last sighting of the lead ‘designer’ :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’ve opened 80 of those so far and not one single Epic item yet. (Got 20 left to go before i just stop with caches altogether lol)
It took me 98 to get an epic from the Haunted Cache on Meta-Moth.

That’s not actually a dream that logically fits with Tencent acquiring a stake.

This might be good news for the Dune MMO, though. Tencent are big fans of well done F2P micro-transaction models (i.e. ones that make players happy to spend a bit now and then), so they presumably wouldn’t favor Funcom trying to copy-paste the SWL system that’d be bound to fail when there’s no long-term fans willing to throw money at it despite all the flaws.

1 Like

Probably not, but it’s still my dream.

2 Likes

Do you open one daily or wait a few days to open them? I’ve found that I get waaaay more blues if I wait and open 10 in a day. If I open 1 a day I almost never get anything special. Even clothing. I got an epic from a cache a month or two ago.

1 Like

I heard this - that the pity counter resets after each log off, so it was better to wait to open keys and do them all in one day.
Now i hear all anyone ever gets it’s 8k distills lol

As i am still upgrading i just open them really for the distills, anything else is an extra that just gets sold, i just don’t get them lol, not on lil Rizzle anyway.

I got a KSR,
i got an inverter
i got a maul and a sanitys aphelion
And i got some bladed gauntlets
All of which i bought anyway haha
so i’m set for all roles should i need to.

Since i’m no a lifetime patron all this will stop eventually.
I’m also about to go make my 9th toon on a completely F2P account and start the whole journey again…
Am i a glutton for punishment or what?

2 Likes

It sounds like it. I can’t even get my two alts to level 50. I think my cache keys will stop in February and then that’s it for me.
I still have like 1400 potions saved up from when I used to open a bunch of caches on the daily. I use them as soon as one is finished no matter what I’m doing. It’s nice having more space these days. I never understood why they didn’t let clothing from caches stack. Space used to be a big reason I wouldn’t buy more aurum for keys. Sometimes I had ZERO space. They could have made so much more money off of me lol. That was such a bad move.

1 Like

Speaking of Aurum - have you seen how much is left to buy loool
And as for pots, i have none cos i use them all after buying them with 3rd age frags.
heaven knows my char has needed them lol

No… How much?? Post a picture.

1 Like