Tales of Hyboria

I started this thread, I can change the header, don’t tempt me. :wink:

you are always welcome here.

Just don’t be surprised if some of us under edumakated folks reply to you with, Huh? :smiley:

5 Likes

Thanks, makes me feel a little less awkward. :slight_smile: I don’t try to write like this, it’s just how the words appear. Verbally my self-censorship comes at that moment, when involved interpersonally; when I write freely it just flows based on the feelings.

When I was young, I wrote an essay speech for the Disabled Veterans of America called “The Alabaster Wall.” I had just visited the Vietnam Memorial in Washington. The judges of the essay contest wanted to give me the scholarship, but they were confused: wasn’t the wall (which was new-ish at the time) polished black stone? Yes, I answered, the alabaster wall is made of people.

3 Likes

The problem of being smart is that you’ll be judged by people who are much dumber than you. I like to participate in miniature painting contests, and I often hide some jokes or meta stuff in my works, only to see them ignored or go unnoticed by the painting judges.

Once, in a painting contest themed “Classics” I entered with a one-legged tin soldier. They didn’t get it.

4 Likes

The problem with being smart isn’t being judged.
people will judge you regardless.

Having read or not read the steadfast soldier is a niche bit of knowledge, granted you would think miniature enthusiasts would be familiar. But if they aren’t familiar calling them dumb is rather pompous.

Intelligence is subjective and hard to quantify.

I never intended to harm anyone or make anyone feel awkward.

The problem with stories if left to interpretation is every individual who reads it will interpret it based on their own knowledge and experience.

I was involved in the story Barnes was telling, I asked for parts of the story I didn’t know, and I ask for those facts to be presented to ME clearly. My interpretation was not what Barnes Intended, because he did tell me clearly in a DM later.

Barnes is a friend, I consider him a good friend. I would never want to make him feel uncomfortable or unwelcome.

2 Likes

For anyone not personally involved, I didn’t think it my place to expose the reality of the situation interpersonally between you and me.

To anyone not droch-aon, what I said wasn’t a sharp retort, it was a typical witty exchange that my most excellent friend dro and I have had for these years playing Conan Exiles, and outside of it as well. He’s an iteration I knew lifetimes ago, no metaphor. He’s the sort of friend who knows when to just be quiet and let the darkness pass, as the lovely jungle music plays. He’s also the sort of friend who can check me when I’m being a hypocrite, or if I’ve been mean-spirited, by simply being real. Even if there’s fire in his voice, or voice versa. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The tale is set, and it’s over now. The server has been wiped except for the volcano.

When I was a younger player, I was bitter and saucy and said some vile things on another platform. I even made a post about a Monkey’s Paw. This is what my situation was, the essence of my whole screed: careful what you wish for. Or at the very least, take care how you frame your wishes.

I’d been playing, largely alone for so long, and wishing for companionship. And I got it, drawing my dear friend to the server. Then events unfolded that were somehow out of my control. A streamer found our server, then a big streamer found him, then the floodgates opened. Among the very peaceful players was a small clan that broke apart, and became horrible to each other. Eventually, the losing members of the tribe called in reinforcements. Those guys are bad dudes, who wreck servers.

My only hope is that the amazing and unique, well-documented loot led some Admin forces right to the Exploit Bases. That’s pretty much the only silver lining.

In truth, the ultimate complication and consideration is to my friendship. I asked dro to come to the server, and I was unable to stop or prevent what would ultimately become a toxic gaming environment.

When he first saw my taming box at Set City, he spent some time eyeing my assembled chessboard. I told him my niece and I played a little mini-game, piece by piece. There were two pawns moved. He LOLed. That’s what kind of friend he is.

He also knows that a perfectly valid move is to set your king down on his side.

4 Likes