Testlive Update (26.11.2020) - Update 2.2: Bug fixing, stamina and shield overhauls!

I’m also a solo player, and i’ve never used the karmic effect with thralls or any other kind of “Abuse” of the item. I still see no reason for it’s existence in the first place, it’s a good item to have for sure, but nobody needs it

That’s what numbers are for, sorry to break your bubble, but a solo players are always at disatvantage against a clan of many active players. Don’t try to compete with them.

You know, once you get a legendary item, doesn’t mean that you have to use it always, not because it has the best stats in your inventory it has to be you weapon of choice. you can still craft items strong enough that can be easily repaired and that’s their advantage over legendaries. but you want to minmax so bad that the price you pay is the lrk farming.
So i still don’t believe anything i’ve said was stupid, in fact i’m more inclined to say that the nemedian has to go and should have never exist among other items… Gladly for you, and the vast majority of forum posters, i’m not the one who decides that :^)

1 Like

On Siptah, where the thralls who can make repair kits are a very rare spawn in a Surge that costs a large amount of resources, The Nemedian is one of two ways to repair legendary items. (The other is mindless grinding of Legendary Weapon Repair Kits).

If all players wanted to do was grind repair kits and tend to baiting fish traps, we’d be playing a web browser game and not Conan.

That’s the issue.

On the Exiled Lands, it’s an entirely different conversation because T4 thralls are a dime a dozen.

2 Likes

Okay, I think I’ve cooled off enough to jump back into this thread.

Yeah, I agree that legendary weapons and tools should require “some sort of player effort” to maintain. The devil’s in the details, though.

In Exiled Lands, I made Unnamed City part of my routine, because it supplied me with a steady source of legendary kits. I find that to be a reasonable level of player effort. I never had a use for the “karmic effect” in Exiled Lands.

On the Isle of Siptah, things are very different. There are fewer bosses that drop legendary kits and they don’t always drop them. I gave Nemedian a try and it was such a blessing that I never even tried to grind for legendary kits.

With the “economy update”, it became possible to use non-Purge T4s to craft legendary kits. That makes things even easier in Exiled Lands, but doesn’t change the Siptah situation as much as the devs seem to think. Sure, my clan has a set up a Maelstrom “grinder”, and we can summon T4 surges. But the grind to get the particular T4 is still downright awful.

I keep hearing this accusation that we’re all sitting inside thick walls and not participating in the game world. Where does that idea come from? On a PVE(-C) server, the only reason to sit behind your walls is when you can’t think of anything to do.

There’s nothing you can accomplish effortlessly in Conan Exiles, except getting fat grubs. As soon as you decide on what you want to do – whatever it is – you have to start working for it. There are materials to gather, dungeons to go through, and if you’re on a PVE-C or a PVP server, people to fight. Speaking of PVP servers, I would imagine that people who play there literally can’t afford to sit idle behind their walls.

Yes, they most definitely should have compensated its effect or nerfed it less, and I’ll get to that in a moment. I just want to quickly address your claim that it won’t affect the game too much.

If they end up removing the karmic effect, those who decide to keep playing the game will undoubtedly adapt. The way I see it, I’ll probably establish a routine that allows me to grind up a few kits per week and I’ll reserve those kits for the hardest-to-obtain non-craftable legendaries. I’ll repair the craftable legendaries using the materials they need. And the legendaries that come from skeleton key chests will simply get tossed into the dismantling bench once broken, and I’ll keep using keys to make sure I always have spares.

So, you’re sort of right. Even though this change will affect the game, it’s not something we can’t adapt to. But does it affect the game “too much”? That depends on where people draw the line.

Now that I’ve had a few days away from the game and the forums, I know where I would draw the line. And it has to do with Funcom’s attitude towards the game and the game’s fans.

First came Siptah, which looked like a step in the right direction – make the progression more meaningful – but had a ton of what I assumed would be “placeholder” measures. They went overboard with RNG, but I assumed that was temporary.

Then came the updates. When you look at them, it’s pretty clear that the devs are seriously out of touch with the way the game is being played. Not only did those updates fail to make Siptah less of a Conan in Las Vegas, they didn’t do much to improve the base game either. The “economy update” ended up being a confused jumble of changes that doesn’t really accomplish much, especially not some of its stated goals. From what I’m reading here, this “combat update” is shaping up to be even worse. It looks like nothing has been done to address the two most unbalanced aspects of combat.

And on top of all of that, the quality control certainly hasn’t gotten any better, and the things that sounded like promises – namely “scalpel, not sledgehammer” and “better communication” – are being completely disregarded. Each update is a bigger and buggier mess than the one before.

Oh, and the cherry on top? Getting passive aggressive about @Wak4863’s video. Before anyone accuses me of being a fanboy, I don’t follow any of the Conan Exiles YouTubers. I only look up a video when I’m really dying to know something and it’s not on the wiki. And even then I end up skipping a lot, because I don’t have the patience for endless chatter. Having said that, I think that the official reaction to the video in question is really, really crappy.

Sure, Wak jumped the gun. I agree. But think about the previous update. There were numerous non-trivial bugs that were reported in TestLive and acknowledged by the Community Managers. Those were then carried over into live. Then they were reported again and acknowledged and left like that for way too long. Some of them still haven’t been fixed. Given all that, find me anyone at all that wouldn’t have “jumped the gun”.

Personally, I feel like the line has been crossed again and again, but the effort I’ve sunk into this game has caused something akin to the Stockholm syndrome in me. I kept rationalizing each of Funcom’s fumbles, explaining to myself – and often to others, too – that it’s not incompetence, it’s just a matter of time/resource/tech constraints. I’m done excusing Funcom.

Don’t even joke about that. There are certain people on these forums who seem to think Funcom changed the game some time ago because of the stuff they said and mods they wrote. Those people have a really high opinion of themselves, but at least they’re coherent and can be talked to. The last thing we need is a deranged lunatic on that same kind of ego trip :face_vomiting:

7 Likes

Was this on a stream? I usually only hang around forums, and this looks like a big deal to me. Like you explained above, Wak’s behavior was somewhat justified, and reflects what many other people commented on the very patch threads.

1 Like

No, it was on the forums. “Passive aggressive” might be a tad too strong, but given the TestLive track record, the whole “please don’t assume our changes are on purpose” would’ve been more palatable had it been accompanied by “we know that our TestLive patches are buggy as hell”. Not to mention that the mods were nowhere in sight when some people piled on to crow about how this is why nobody should watch FireSpark and Wak…

2 Likes

Have you had a chance to check out testlive yet?

Nope. Not enough space on my drives. And to be honest, I probably won’t check it out when I get my new drive, either. I’ve learned from previous TestLive updates that it’s not worth it. Besides, I need to take a break from Conan and see if I can kick the habit of playing it.

2 Likes

Fair enough. To be honest I felt like a chump running around on testlive yesterday. There are a large number of problems with the build on testlive that make it difficult to even test out the changes.

3 Likes

This cannot be stated firmly enough. Developers, please acknowledge just how long it takes to get a high tier Surge farmed up even for a large clan. Please acknowledge just how rare getting a T4 smith to spawn is. Please acknowledge just how rare getting the right T4 smith is to be able to craft legendary repair kits. This grind is heinous even for clans and it’s currently so discouraging to a single player that I’m truly not playing Siptah right now. I just can’t handle the massive grind for components.

Please either keep The Nemedian Karmic effect or increase legendary durabilities and/or increase legendary patch kit drop rates and/or increase T4 crafter spawn rates to offset just how rough The Nemedian karmic loss is on Siptah.

2 Likes

That’s basically what pissed me off so much. There are so many ways to compensate for removal of the karmic effect, but they just didn’t care enough. It would’ve been enough to make legendary kits – with the RNG coin flip to decide if it’s weapon or armor kit – a guaranteed drop from some Siptah bosses, like they do in Unnamed City. But they didn’t bother to do even that.

Siptah is the latest and greatest, their “new baby”. If they’re so out of touch with Siptah that they think just yanking the karmic effect is good for the game, I don’t want to know what the future updates will bring.

4 Likes

They what?!

Br00TCn1

And not only why, but also when? When did they do that?

I mean, seriously, after reading that, this is how I imagine Funcom working on balance updates:
4qis1

And this is what playing Conan felt like over the last few updates:
cI10eKw2

In conclusion:
tumblr_o1lyhuH4iP1ra01fxo1_5001

EDIT: I just want to make it clear, because it’s easy to miss, that I was clearly talking about a 100% chance of drop from bosses and that Chaoruk’s reply was about chests, although he didn’t specify that until the next reply.

14 Likes

Been doing like that since forever ppl just have not seen it :'D

Could we get a statement from Funcom on that? Were repair kit drops reduced or removed? Is that an intentional change?

Just to prevent anybody from jumping the, you know, gun?

1 Like

We can’t jump the gun anymore, the gun is broken and we don’t have karmic gear :^)

4 Likes

How would we even verify what information they give us? They would have to tell us what the drop chance percentages were. Then we’d have to run around and farm the chests enough to confirm that the real drop percentage converged on the specified target.

Dev kit has the tables and one canfind the RNG with that. I’m just being lazy or I would do some eng mining. But AC valhalla has my time right now.

Yeah, if you know how the tables are structured (I don’t, but have looked at them) you could maybe figure that out. Depends on how the data is stored, I suppose.

That we have to contemplate doing that is pretty ridiculous, in my opinion.

1 Like

No a fan of this “The Nemedian” helmet nerf. I normally to not use it on the thrall, but had gotten into a flow of keeping thirsty while harvesting to repair my tools. Rarely, did I use my thrall to repair weapons. I kind of liked wearing the Helmet for that case as there was some risk involved with not being a full health while running around in the wilds.

Recommend that the nerf apply to thralls getting the repair, but allow players to wear the helmet for the repair benefit. Thrall = no repair. Player = repair.

If the nerf will stick, then at least add a useful attribute such as survival or encumbrance besides boosting the armor value. No one will even care to wear the helmet otherwise and will be useless drop. Thanks for your consideration.

1 Like

What you don’t like to investigate things just to see how things tick? Guess it’s just me :stuck_out_tongue: Back when I regularly visited the forums, I would check the bug section just to see if I could figure out the bug and how to fix it (and sometimes was successful, I always send my reports to Funcom, just not publicly).

Anyhoo, as of the latest dev kit, which is the version that matches with 2.1, and as far in terms of drops from the bosses (as I assume that is what they refer to), the chances of a drop are at 100% for repair kits.

The way the reports here are structured, I am unclear as some people are saying “it’s been a thing” (not that I can tell), and other’s say its a Testlive thing (which I can’t see until the dev kit is updated to match).

3 Likes