Thankyou Funcom for the New Rule Changes!

@WhatMightHaveBeen, did someone hack your account, you are giving too much love :smiley:

2 Likes

LOL.
Sometimes all you can do is love someone to help them thru their issues.

4 Likes

Agreed, the changes are very appretiated.

1 Like

Figured from the start that people are only trolling, namecalling and gunning for the asura tag instead of having a discussion.

I want a asura tag

1 Like

most of us just gave up trying to have a discussion with you :wink:

5 Likes

No, not better. It’s still “I’m not affected by words so everyone else has to be like me”. You can rephrase it any way you want, but as long as the essence is “anyone who doesn’t do what I do is wrong”, it’s still going to be about how your way is the only right way. :man_shrugging:

If it worked the way you described it, I could:

1. report you for not using the apostrophe in the word “person’s”
  2. say that it’s offensive to me
    and
  3. get you banned

But it doesn’t work like that. That’s just you, pushing your slippery slope argument up the hill of “we ain’t fooled by fallacies” :wink:

Yeah, that’s another argument you’ve been pushing all this time. This idea that Funcom will be “flooded” and, I guess, incapable of dealing with it. And I suppose that because Funcom is totally incapable of dealing with it, that’s why we need to get rid of that part of the rules, right?

You might have a point there. It’s not like Funcom could see that they’re receiving a disproportionate amount of spurious reports and put up another message that says something along the lines “don’t abuse the reporting system” with an explanation. And it’s not like they have the power to put that message somewhere where everyone can see it, like when they log into a server. And to even imagine that, if people keep abusing the reporting system despite that, they could give the report abusers a slap on the wrist in the form of a 1 day ban or something like that, so the word spreads? Now that’s preposterous! You’re totally right, we should get rid of these unreasonable rules that Funcom won’t have any chance of dealing with

There’s a point where “come debate me bro” stops being taken seriously. It’s different for every discussion and for every participant in it. I don’t know about others, but for me it was when I realized that you’re doing a textbook motte-and-bailey argument. The only reasons I keep engaging is because:

1. There are times when it looks like you can drag others down the same path.
  2. Sometimes I’m too distracted to focus on important stuff in real life, so I kill time by arguing in the most pointless online discussion I can find :stuck_out_tongue:
3 Likes

So, you go from saying “quit making this about you” to this now? There are many ways to deal with the situation being discussed: quit the server, mute and ignore, use Funcoms already in game mechanics.

You can put I, me, you, random person in as the subject and its still the same - deal with it the same way, I just don’t understand how you cant see that. At no point did I say if they didn’t do what I do, they are wrong, you are making things up and shoving words in my mouth. I told how I deal with these issues, and that there is in game mechanics already in game
which was promoted by Funcom to use. Now, with the changes, and the rewording of the rules (which didn’t need to be done on the language) it will cause more reports to come in, most of which if not all, will be ignored. That’s what I said.

Ahhh, but YES IT CAN. You CAN report me for that, and low and behold, Funcom gets another waste of time report. The ban wouldn’t happen (in this case) but someone took time out of their day to read that. Remember them saying they don’t have time to admin their servers because there is 1000’s of them? You think they will read the increased amount of reports? Which seems like a better way to spend time to ACTUALLY IMPROVE THE GAME.

Once again, you are making things up and putting words in my mouth. I said they will get more reports, I never said they are incapable of dealing with it, or making their call on those reports. Let me state it again, since you just cant grasp it - There is in game mechanics to deal with language, and there is no need to report every word that triggers you!

I will agree though, that abuse of the new changes may lead to additional warnings/repercussions due to false reports/abusing the reporting system. How much do you want to bet that scenario will happen 100x more often when reporting someones foul language vs a clan that is exploiting or undermeshing/cheating etc?

I missed the part where I said to remove the rules
I said, it was an unnecessary change that will not improve anything
heck why am I just repeating myself after every time I have to quote you being wrong?

THANK YOU for admitting you are not contributing to the actual discussion, but rather are trolling
which, if Im not mistaken is against the forum rules. But, Ill leave it at that and ask that @Ignasi close this thread since it is no longer worth talking with trolls.

As a pre-Crisis haberdashed and Esquire-Mag-subscribed gentleman, snowflake goes back even farther, to mean one who opposed the abolition of slavery. This was the late 1800s, once again proving etymology can be deadly serious and simultaneously ridiculous. At one point, it was a neologism, which took time to adopt, die out, then adapt and come back in full force. Sounds familiar, and spookily germane.

One of my journalism colleagues in Michigan said he was covering a courthouse today, and his cameraman got a blocking protestor to back up by calling him a snowflake. However, as he did so, the picketer settled his hand on his holstered open-carry. Just goes to show now, as in the 1870s, is a terrible time to be calling each other names.

Let’s all be safe out there, but truly, call me anything in the game you like. I broadcast, therefore off goes the chat. :smiley:

He’s not a troll. But even if I didn’t believe that already, nothing you quoted could be interpreted that way. It reads to me as if he’s doing a public service to with any hope attempt to steer this conversation away from a particular sawhorse. Which you are riding.

6 Likes

@Nemisis As a relative newbie here with no horse in this race, you’re pretty argumentative for the sake of arguing from what I’m reading. Further, you accuse others of trolling while hanging back just behind the lines of any kind of forum repercussion, which is a troll trademark.

6 Likes

And teach the other side that bad behaviour will have no consequences?
No. Sorry. Wrong way.

6 Likes

And you just did the same thing, called me a troll very politely as to avoid forum punishment.

Pot, meet kettle.

We have to be civil in discussions, and we can have our points of view. I can see very few see this debate from my side, and that’s fine. In the days this thread has evolved, I have been chatting with the Conan group that used to play with
and they have gotten quite a few laughs as well. But, I guess you hang with like minded people so its to be expected
and I can see these forums changing to that too.

Well that depends if your talking about actions vs words. Actions yes, should have repercussions, but words, that’s a different story. I guess the forums, that majority of its users, and Funcom believe that any negative words should be censored, deleted or punished
which we can see from flagged comments. I had one in another thread that was flagged for the line “the squeeky wheel gets the grease”.

Bottom line, the minority wont change the minds of the majority, no matter the cause. Its ok, though. Next on the list of things to discuss is consensual pvp, where you must ask the other players permission before fighting them. I think its a good idea to explore since you would hate to be reported for harrassment or griefing, for jumping someone when they don’t see you coming.

1 Like

Nah. Your MO is conflict. It’s not about discussion with you and you’re clearly a contrarian. Like I said, I’m new here so it’s not like I have anyone to need to side with over this.

3 Likes

As I mentioned, previously:

"People will be offended by many things. Some are obvious; racist, sexist, culturally derogatory, and homophobic names. "

But it’s not “bad language,” it’s racist, sexist, culturally derogatory, and homophobic.

What good is done by allowing such things in a private community? What harm is done by preventing it?

At the heart of it, it is Funcom’s call.

This talk of censorship displays a profound misunderstanding of the word and the EULA to which we all agreed to play the game.

6 Likes

This is a private community governed by the EULA. There is [no] freedom of speech, [only] allowed, or disallowed speech.

This is a basic fact.

[Edited for clarity]

7 Likes

Even if it wasn’t a private community, his objection is absurd: “If there is a penalty, or some responsibility that comes from it, it is not FREE speech.” As if that somehow invalidates or even addresses the fact that the freedom of speech is never absolute and for good reasons.

3 Likes

Didn’t say free speech existed inside the game.

Yes, your freedoms are absolute. That’s why they are called freedoms. Anything that has penalties, restrictions, responsibilities etc, then it is no longer a freedom, but a privilege. Example, in the US, you can say anything you want to, without calling for action, or for violence
so you can say anything you want, even if its hurtful. Now, that doesn’t mean that person is correct, or that its not ignorant, but they have the right to say it. Now, take driving for example. Ive seen lots of people argue about driving being a “right” when it is indeed a privilege. There are rules to follow, and consequences if you do not.

On free speech, the US needs to be thankful that they have it. Enjoy it, and the fact you have it, since there is very few if any other countries that allow that.

So you can’t say anything you want to. Also, those aren’t the only restrictions the US imposes on free speech – there are also libel and slander laws, among others. As with everything else in a civilized society where the rule of law applies, there are rules to follow and consequences if you do not.

3 Likes

It’s a good start! Making the official servers not be an entire lag show is also a good idea.

3 Likes