Thankyou Funcom for the New Rule Changes!

Which part of “basic human decency” is so problematic that the you and Nemisis have to spend so much effort arguing against it? Do you seriously need concrete examples? Is the example Nemisis himself gave – about those players who screamed into their microphones about what they would do to his mother and sister – somehow not enough?

Do you need more? Fine. Trigger warning: anyone who has been a victim of abuse should avoid clicking on blurred text. How about an incident from a server where I used to play before? A new player came to the server. Supposedly he was 13 years old, no way to verify that now. An established player told him he would rape him. Kid never came back again.

So why should anyone have to let themselves be treated like that, just because a few of you spread FUD about how this people will get banned for silly things? Honestly, why is it so hard to accept that not everyone has exactly the same personality and the same upbringing? Why is it so hard to give the new rules a chance and complain if you have a reason to do so?

And seriously, if you really can’t live without the freedom to be subjected to racism and teenagers screaming curses at you, there are plenty of games out there that enshrine that freedom.

6 Likes

And they call us snowflakes…

3 Likes

@CodeMage and @BoogerParty see the thing is, you guys are assuming that I am offended by, or cant figure out this bad language. In the contrary, as Ive stated, I don’t care about it. I do get some kicks when people come in and complain because a clan name is using (this ones for you Barnes!) “new deadly virus” as a name. Seriously, and coming to the forums to complain about it too!

I gave examples of stuff Ive been through, and Im sure lots of others have as well, and how much easier it is to ignore that stuff, and play the game. What Im saying is, Funcom has said all along that there is in game features to combat this, and now, are catering to more people who cant handle the language. I don’t use such negative things in game, though at times, I have sworn at people…but I also don’t care if others do. Click. Mute.

Im not really sure how saying that language doesn’t matter, and that there are better things to flood Funcom with reports of , that ACTUALLY INFLUENCE GAMEPLAY, such as duping, hacking, and exploiting (again, which Ive stated numerous times that these actions should be lead to bans)….makes me the “snowflake”. FYI, snowflakes refer to those that cant handle situations, and get very upset at the mention of ideas/topics (political or otherwise)/ or language etc, and feel the need to suppress or silence others.

Click. Mute.

Thanks for updating the server rules, but I still have some questions.

1. Blocking of content in the game, such as dungeons, resources and other areas of the game.

1 Does it mean that all land (that can be built) is also included?
2 What is the Block means?If someone build a building and block the way to dungeon/or what kind of area that make people have to cost time to get there,or need find another way(which is far or hard to pass,but people still can get to that area),will it be counted into “block”?
2. Abuse of the claim system (claim spam) where blocks are placed for no other purpose than to prevent other player’s access to resources and building spots.

Here is a situation that some players will use the foundations or pillers to build a “refresh line” ,it could cross all the map(such as from north to south), and the other players still can build and farm resource.Will this kind of behavior should be allowed?
3. Special consideration against these cases will be taken in PVE and PVE-Conflict servers.

So what about PVP?

1. About the report.
    There are two situations that I meet before.
    In PVP, we can’t see the players name or clan name if they keep silence right now.
    HOW to report?If someone make the server crashed,how could we know who he is?
    And Someone move in the water(Using bugs),how could we see his name?If they don’t talk,how can I get his caln name?

In PVE,people can use some bombers or bosses in the game,and take down the other people’s building and claim that area.How to report?They can say they didn’t do this.Because the history won’t show players name but the bombers/bosses name.Especially using the purge!
Knock down the npcs and drag them to target’s home, when the npc wake up,they will start to take down the building nearby.
So,How to report?

I hope the official staff can answer my questions.

I’m not assuming you’re offended. On the contrary, I don’t give a rat’s glutes whether you are. It’s not about you and that’s what some of us have been trying to explain all along.

Let’s try again: it’s not about you.

You keep assuming it is and I suspect that’s why @BoogerParty called you a snowflake.

All together now: it’s not about you.

It’s about other people who aren’t like you. Nobody has to be forced to tolerate that stuff just because you’re okay with it.

FYI, “snowflake” refers to those who think they’re unique or special, but they really aren’t – kinda like someone who keeps making this issue about their own “thick skin”.

Its usage as a pejorative comes from when Chuck Pahlaniuk’s book “Fight Club” got adapted into a movie that was then widely misinterpreted and its protagonist widely idolized for all the wrong reasons, ironically. That’s when the term “snowflake” became popular. And then people started using it in the sense you described there.

2 Likes

Oh no no no, I totally get that you’re offended by and can’t figure out the idea that just because you’re totally cool with unchecked verbal abuse doesn’t mean that there are (many) others who are not, and that these people are deserving of basic empathy.

And I called you a snowflake to mock the hypocrisy of that term. People throw it around to deride anyone they see as complaining unfairly about anything outside their comfort zone, when that’s exactly what you’re doing when you get bent out of shape over the mere suggestion that you not just do whatever you want whether anyone likes it or not. The second you start complaining about snowflakes ruining your fun, you yourself are a snowflake.

4 Likes

At what point are these changes “ruining my fun”?

Ive stated many times, that I do not act this way in game. I have expressed many times that Funcom has tools in the game to deal with such language. They have stated that themselves. These changes in no way affect me, nor my gameplay, nor how I play in the game.

Im pointing out the sadness that since everyone get so offended by the tiniest things these days, that you can report people for names you don’t like. I have stated that Funcom will get flooded with reports of “these toxic alphas wiped me and called me names” or “this clan has spammed around their base” or “this clan is blocking this one spot I farm rocks”. Don’t think so? Read the forums, people have been complaining about it for a while. Name talking, trash talking and such are a part of online activity. Banning every single thing that someone MAY find offensive is not the answer. On PVP servers, which Ive been referring to for this discussion has in game solutions to all those issues, if people put in the effort. We don’t need people reporting every little thing they don’t like.

Can you link me a quote where Ive said these changes are about me? You keep referring to that…but yet…youre wrong. I keep getting attacked for my point of view…and I explain how I deal with them. Its simple, people can learn from it. Ive said it lots, you mute, and ignore people that say stuff in game. The fact that people cant do that simple thing, when in game mechanics allow it, means they must feel the need to keep reading what the trolls, or negative people type to them? I don’t know, if someone is trash talking another person, I don’t see why you sit there, read it and actually think it has value. How does someone even do that? Mute and ignore.

“Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me” is something Im sure everyone has heard at one point in their lives…and should really listen to that as its great advice.

Im about done with this discussion, at this point its leading no where, since Ive yet to see a real good reason why people cant use already in game mechanics to deal with these issues, but rather feel the need to report players and attempt to ban them over words that “trigger” them. Same with spam on PVP, same with blocking things on PVP…there are ways to handle it yourself. I guess people want the easy way out, though that truly doesn’t surprise me at all.

1 Like

I am not easily offended in the internet by words. But let me tell you this and it was already stated before. Words are mostly just the beginning and just because people got used in pvp online games to insult each other, doesn´t mean it makes it right in any way to behave like this. The internet is not a free zone, where I can do whatever I want to whoever I want it.

5 Likes

In the name of fairness, @StacieMeier asks a valid question. What exactly constitutes “bad language”? Conan Exiles has an international community, and even though we use English as our lingua franca, it doesn’t remove the cultural differences in communication. This is true even between countries where English is a native language. Some expressions that may be totally okay, neutral and inoffensive in e.g. UK may be considered “bad language” in the US, and vice versa.

And non-native English-speakers may not even be aware of these differences. They may use an expression they heard from a British friend and get confused when an American person is upset by what they said. You know, there are still people who are horrified by the expression “this sucks”.

Obviously, threats towards other players or offensive expressions directed at another are cases that should not be tolerated. Everyone deserves a safe gaming environment. But when discussing “bad language” people too often focus on trivial matters such as how many asterisks do you need to include in a four-letter word so it becomes acceptable. Context and intent are what matter, not the combinations of letters used. Hearing a random passer-by on the street using a vulgar word is probably not going to ruin anyone’s life, whereas insults or threats directed at you can cause lifelong traumas, regardless of whether any actual swearwords were used or not.

That’s what makes banning or punishing “bad language” such a difficult topic.

Let me be clear: I don’t block anybody on any social platform. I program, and people argue about it and other programmers. It’s part of the system.

Tip of the iceberg. Please stop making us feel stupid by comparing us to “common sense”. There are experts here. And, there are reasons people are hesitant about the “climate” here.

Awesome, so you know exactly how to deal people that could be called toxic, or use bad language. You have your way, I have mine, others have theirs.

Uh…yeah I didn’t do that…but I curious as to who you think the “experts” are on the topic at hand.

Potentially yes, words can be the first step to actions…but its never a guarantee, and since we are talking about trash talking/ language in a game and not the internet in general, there is truly little action that can be done by a fellow gamer to another. Aside from trolling in game, language, PVP’ing, raiding, etc…what other actions can happen? Can you give me some examples?

Again, Im not promoting this behavior at all, but you are kind of wrong in your last statement. The internet IS a free zone, unless you live in China…and yes you can do whatever you want on it. Funcoms forums, and inside their game is a different matter, where you DO NOT have free reign to do whatever (outside actual game mechanics).

False and true at the same time. True that you can do what yo want, false if ou think actions don;t have consequences. And that is where you are mistaken freedom of speech with no repsonsibility. All funcom has done has made a statement that if you feel something has crossed a line, to report it. If they agree, they will punish/reprimand the offender. No one said every report will be agreed with. The examples you have given are ones i would not see Funcom taking action on. And some people get on multiplayer games to socialize. And having to comb thru juvenile behavior to do so is annoying. Having to do it because someone is only doing it to be toxic should be addressed. And again, the person using the trigger word is doing it for attention (of any kind). but ironically they act like “poor me” when they get it and don’t like what it is.

Also, you keep calling it trash talking. I have balled on many a basket ball court, and trash talking is not what this is by far. And if that is how you trash talk, well, lets just say your talk game is weak and simple minded.

2 Likes

She did ask a valid question, but as you said, context matters. We’re not idly speculating on generic topics here, we’re talking about Funcom’s new rules. Those rules are currently being criticized by people who will use every rhetorical trick in the book to spread FUD about them.

For example, the whole thing about “bad language” is a colossal red herring. There is literally no mention of “bad language” in the rules. This is the part that’s under attack and I’m starting to wonder if people are actually reading it:

It’s chock-full of very specific adjectives: “offensive and defamatory” in conjunction with “racial, sexual, hateful, illicit”.

The thing that I keep vehemently objecting to is the notion that Funcom should drop this part of rules – a part that was clearly established to protect people from serious verbal harassment – because it’s somehow “not good for the game”.

What’s not good for the game is allowing all of its metaphorical broken windows to stay like that. I’ve seen plenty of toxic behavior on official servers and it happens because there are no consequences. Yes, exploiting and hacking are the most egregious forms, but verbal harassment can grow to be serious and very damaging for the community.

And this is especially true for PVE(-C) servers, where the community is paramount. That’s part of this discussion, too:

Gameplay in technical sense? No. Gameplay in the sense of what your in-game experience is? Very much. Ask anyone who doesn’t play exclusively PVP.

So yeah, everything you said in your post is true and I agree with it, but it’s pretty tangential, just like @StacieMeier’s question.

It’s not like Funcom said “you can’t use bad language or we’ll come ban you”. They established specific rules against serious verbal harassment and further specified that all reports of rule-breaking – for any of the rules, which I imagine includes verbal harassment – are to have “irrefutable, veridic proof and evidence to back up your report”.

Considering that the FUD about this part of the rules started in the message 7 of this thread and we’re up to almost a 100 now, I think you can see why my patience for anything that seems to support this demagoguery is wearing thin.

4 Likes

I agree. Thank you Funcom!

2 Likes

Ahem.

“I do it like this and anyone who doesn’t is wrong.” That’s why I say you keep making it about you. And you do that in almost every single post on this topic.

4 Likes

I do get a kick when people say “freedom of speech, but wait, there is responsibility/repercussions/penalties”. If there is a penalty, or some responsibility that comes from it, it is not FREE speech. Yes, there is times when there needs to be a reaction to speech, when that speech calls harm upon someone (greatest examples is how free speech is in the US, we all know it, Im not going through it). People should celebrate free speech, because there is many other countries that don’t have it, including Canada where Im from, and yes, I wish we did have it.

Back to the topic at hand though…I think we agree on this more then what we actually see. AT no point did I say Funcom will act and ban every single report that comes in. I have said this will lead to an increase in reports, since anyone can come up with a reason to be offended. Yes <---- that is 100% true, no one can dispute that. I have said that Funcom even acknowledges there is in game mechanics to deal with trolls, those using bad language and or offensive language (and yes, I do lump “trash talking” in with that, because if you have ever seen heated battles and wars, SOME people - not all - will use offensive language in their trash talking.) So, I roll all of that together in the same context, anything people type in chat, say over voice or put on signs - call it bad language, trolling, griefing, trash talking…I refer to the same thing.

My point here again, which Stacie brings up as well, who determines what is ultimately report worthy (Correct, Funcom, not what I mean) “bad language”. What one culture maybe deems ok, another might not. What I find offensive, you may not. It could very well be within Funcoms stated “human decency” by your standards, but maybe not mine. All Funcom has said is “theres the line over there, cross it, you can be banned”

Just like how the supreme courts in the US have said that yelling fire in a crowded theater is not free speech, and can be punishable, all the rest goes. If you wish to stand on a corner with a sign that reads your point of view, you can. I can find that offensive, but I cant do anything about it, but have a discussion. So where is Funcoms line? Human decency is not a line, since there is a vast array of vocabulary that doesn’t cross the line, but offends people.

Ok, Ill rephrase that since you are merely trolling me and adding nothing to the conversation besides insults at me.

“Who in their right mind would sit there and willingly engage themselves in getting trash talked, or paying attention to someone who is being indecent/rude/ etc etc etc, using foul language when Funcom has in game provisions to block and mute said people. That person does themselves no good to not put the effort in to use in mechanics to block out negative things”

Better?

1 Like

love you @Nemesis