The matter of Shambala win/lose loot [POLL]

Even if the chance was the same or less as other activities I think you would see a massive increase in activity.

I admit, it would certainly get me to try and sign up more. I’ve spent hours in the queue and never gotten a match. I still haven’t gotten into Shambala in SWL. I also think PvP should be given a bit more love. There are still quite a few people who like it and being able to earn and progress more doing PvP would make them happier. TSW had the right idea in that PvP was a viable progression method for at least quite awhile.

Something needs added. But as others have said, taking away loser rewards will just make even less people queue up.

I really disliked the imbalance of TSW Shambala. Almost every game it was going to be 1 team dominating the other. I was on the losing side far more often than the winning.

Maybe Funcom should add PvP back into the Daily Challenges as a bonus activity for some more Marks each day.

1 Like

Do that an there will be a lot of whiners crying because they are forced to do PvP.

I think rewards for the winner should be better than the loser, no reward for losers is a bad idea too, but if you get the same for win or lose a lot of people won’t try to win, they will be there just for the rewards, not for competition.

The big mistake was choosing shambala as the single PvP arena, stonhenge would have been a better choice, make it factionless just like shambala is right now and you need even less people to make it pop.

As it has been said repeatedly before : PVP KEEPS YOU BUSY
It can’t be stressed enough, it helps waiting a lot !
Replaying stuff is boring, the super-grindy progression is very tiring and repetitive.

PvP breaks the repetition and keeps things fresh, we have less space and material for deck building than in TSW but we can still do something with the red gear/signets/gadgets and even ability combos on team-scale.

Maybe Funcom doesn’t want to brin actual pvp back because it’s harder to monetize without going P2W, it’s about the money, look at all the resources put in cosmetics.
“That’s what the paying majority wants” (the majority’s wrong :crazy_face: )

I wouldn’t go as far as suggesting betting matches in which you can engage aurum to get the money of the winning team, but i’m sure we can figure something out to make cash out of pvp if that’s what you want.

4 Likes

There was absolutely no imbalance in Shambala in TSW. As much as I don’t particularly like Shambala this is the one thing I can’t complain about and I easily did anywhere from 3-4K matches in TSW it’s mathematically fair in principle and from experience I can say I had maybe more wins then loses but normally because I went healer most matches which increases your personal odds.

1 Like

While not opposed to the idea, I think the OP put it forward in a way that biases the responses. If you phrase it as ‘remove or reduce the lose reward’, then everyone who PvPs at all will think ‘too many matches get thrown, are decided by a sudden windgust, etc, I don’t want to lose a reward just because the match was a loss’. Hence the 50/50 response.

If the OP had framed it as ‘keep the average reward the same, say X, but adjust it so winning team gets 1.25X reward and the losing team gets .75X reward’, then we might have gotten a different result.

3 Likes

As a person that is very bad at PVP, but has been in team PVP matches in other games, I think taking away rewards from the losing team would be a very bad idea, if the objective is to increase PVP participation. When the losers get less reward than the winners, it will be inevitable that some jerk on the losing team will lose his mind and turn into a raging jerk to his own team members blaming them for the loss. I have experienced this before. It has driven me away from PVP. The only thing that made me willing to even step into Shambala in the first place was the fact that, win or lose, it didn’t matter–so no one was really getting upset about losing.

My experience with PVP in multiple games has been that it attracts people who like prove that they are the best, and therefore seems to have a very high percentage of complete jerks. If losing doesn’t get me anything except mocking and abuse from players that can’t handle losing, why would I ever want to participate?

One thing that might satisfy the desire for increased reward for good performance is to provide an MVP award for each match. That way the alpha-personality type pvp player can go all out and do his thing to decimate the oponents, and if they don’t get the MVP award, the only person they have to blame is themself. It would not even have to be tangible or especially useful. . . maybe progress toward an achievement or a title/cosmetic item.

1 Like

If the only PvP they experience is jumping off the cliff and get the reward they won’t never get to love it, the only think that can make them do actual PvP so they can decide if they like it or not is giving them the chance of getting better rewards if they win.

2 Likes

A PvP campaign !
Oh my god that’s the best thing ever !!

I agree that PvP should reward both winners and losers. But I agree that the winning team should win MORE rewards, to make it worthwhile to at least TRY to win.

In ESO (which has a PvP campaign: Cyrodiil) there are multiple tiers of rewards that are granted at the end of the campaign. The winning faction gets major rewards (FRA-GEE-LAY!), second place gets an okay reward, and loser gets a consolation prize. Nothing to sneeze at, it was still a reward, just not GREAT rewards.

On top of that, there are personal participation rewards (in 3 tiers) based off of how many points you, personally, earned during the campaign. So even if your faction loses you still get a decent reward if you worked hard for your faction.

In total, you get 3 rewards at the end of the campaign: One just for participating, one for how well your faction did, and one for how well YOU personally did/how much you participated.

Shambala is okay as far as PvP goes (I guess). I never did PvP in TSW and only did Shambala in SWL when it was the best place to get shards at 50, but it’s very disappointing to hear that it’s just become a lemmings jumping off the cliff event. I wish it would be a bit more involved/gave better incentive that would make people WANT to try their hardest.

5 Likes

This is EXACTLY the kind of idea i’m looking for when it comes to PVP for SWL.
Thank you.