The Return to Outpost 94 (2018) A Graphic Novel by HolloPoint

I did this or a version of this a ways back in this Forum, but it was very basic and in desperate need of updating. These are the updates.

The story was done in “The Secret World” era and leads on, quite nicely I think, into SWL for the follow up story “A Helluva Point”.

Beware Swear words!

It will go up chapter by chapter as I complete each one. Hopefully this will look better :slight_smile:

A bit of a pre-story to the main Novel coming…

HolloPoint growled, throwing his travel items into his rucksack… “Outer Mongolia… Outer ******** Mongolia…” he muttered. He heard a cough a the door. “You know talking to yourself is a sign of insanity Mr Quint”. Without even looking up, Hollo knew who it was, The Head Inquisitor.

“Hello Mr Sebastian” he said without raising his head, “I was expecting the pleasure”.

“Quite” the Inquisitor replied.

Hollo’s fingers danced lightly on the hilt of his 2000 year old Katana then settled on the bottle of TemplarFast
on his desk. He sat back into his chair, twisted the cap off the bottle and poured himself a shot. The liquid
steamed and hissed slightly as it hit the glass.

For the first time Hollo settled his gaze on the man before him. Exactly what you would expect, tall, thin,
well dressed, with ornate cane, top hat, gaunt featured and piercing eyes. The look of a man well used
to dismantling lesser beings just with his gaze.

“We heard of your little … foray into Templar Hall and we read your… ahem… email to your members” the Inquisitor said. “Not exactly appreciated, but it was expected.” “Mind if I sit?” He sat down in the chair opposite Hollo, without waiting for an answer, balancing his cane on the desk in front of him. The handle was slightly loosened, showing the steel of the sword concealed inside.

“We understand your reluctance to assist us in this matter, but you have to understand that an ancient relic
of such nature going missing,… well it just does not look very good for your Cabal.”

Hollo’s sat back into his chair and slowly raised the glass to his lips. His eyes narrowed “How our Guardian was by-passed is under internal investigation… we will have the results shortly”.

“Not good enough” the Inquisitor snapped, his eyes flaring, then more gently he proceeded “we decided
that our best people should assist you with this investigation. It would be in your best interests to allow
them free and … unfettered access to your Organization”.

“They will be accorded every courtesy Mr Sebastian” Hollo said, slowly standing up. “Even if they come across as barking mad”. He turned to the log fire, warmed his hands,then slowly turned back. “You have to understand, of course that should this investigation take any ill-advised paths, then we, ourselves, might have to proceed with a few inquiries of our own.”

Sebastian started to speak, Hollo wave him into silence with a dismissive gesture.

“Excuse me, I need to check on something before I leave…” Hollo’s finger hit the intercom. “Miss MoneyCross, have the results of the Cry o-resuscitation come through yet?” Hollo’s gaze snapped back to the man before him. He grinned ever so slightly at the wince that travelled across the face of Sebastian.

“Not yet Mr Quint, we are still going through stage 2.” came the reply from the speaker unit.

“Keep me advised Miss MoneyCross, thank you”.

“Yeeess Mr Quint” Sebastian hissed “we had heard of your, precipitous actions. This step was entirely
unnecessary.” Sebastian moved uncomfortably in his chair, his hand reaching unconsciously for the sword cane, then returned to the arm of the his chair when he saw the grin widen on Hollo’s face, as he stood innocently examining his still scabbard-ed katana.

“Gritt and Grannitte, my, my… we did not realize the program was still going… after that last… unpleasantness.”

“We do not abandon such loyal members, Mr Sebastian… a precaution only, I’m sure you understand.”

“We decided it was time for them to see the sights of the newest age, I’m sure they would marvel
at humanities progress and of course at how much the Templars have come forward”.

Sebastian grimaced “Evolution? Overrated, Mr Quint”.

“But not Gritt and Grannitte’s prowess I think, Mr Sebastian” Hollo retorted.

Sebastian scowled.

“However things are to carry on from now, Mr Sebastian, we are prepared for all eventualities,
just to be sure, that any of your,… associates… misunderstand this, there may be …unfortunate
consequences. Witch hunts are, for sure, a thing of the past, no?”

Sebastian smiled slightly, then slowly rose to his feet. “All good things come to those who are wise
Mr Quint, a pleasure talking with you”.

“Be sure your secure areas are secure, we would not want anything unexpected to occur.”

Sebastian carefully placed his top hat back on his head, picked up his cane and turned to the doors
of Hollo’s office. He began to walk out, then slowly turned back “Enjoy your trip to Khuder Mr
Quint, we thought you could use the holiday, such stress being a Grand Master of course” .

“Arbiter of the Council, Mr Sebastian.”

“Quite” Sebastian said again, another slight scowl on his visage. He turned away again and then
slowly walked out the double doors.

“Hollo’s eyes burned a hole in the back of the Inquisitor as he left… ”Bloody interfering,
backstabbing… double talking,… grrr,… grrrr, Mc Grrrr” he muttered.

“Oh well, at least the Arkhi is tasty”.

Hollo whistled tunelessly as he finished his packing.

Updated in PDF format for easier viewing:

3 Likes

Chapter 01 (Click an image then use the Arrows left and right to move through the Chapter)

5 Likes

Chapter 02 (Click an image then use the Arrows left and right to move through the Chapter)

2 Likes

Chapter 03 (Click an image then use the Arrows left and right to move through the Chapter)

Page 4 has been edited as per some suggestions.

2 Likes

Chapter 04 (Click an image then use the Arrows left and right to move through the Chapter)

1 Like

Chapter 05 (Click an image then use the Arrows left and right to move through the Chapter)

1 Like

Chapter 06 (Click an image then use the Arrows left and right to move through the Chapter)

1 Like

Chapter 07 (Click an image then use the Arrows left and right to move through the Chapter)

1 Like

Damn that a lot of work, great job. I admit I didn’t read everything but if I could give one point that bother me a little.

Why making like 6 different pictures for a single conversation, with a slight change between pictures of the same person? I noticed that in the last chapter (7) which is basicaly a single conversation.

You could do a big picture with alternating text bubble. There is only advantage : you can draw more details in the background to present the environment. This is less repetitive work for you. The reader loose no information (because there is no new information). I would create a new picture only when a new visual information is introduce, a new person, a new event, etc.

To come back to my example of chapter 7, you could have drawn a big one page picture for the first page, with a lot of details and alternating bubbles for the text. The second page would have been focused not on the persons but on the environment, you could have had some details in there. And the texte with the same alternating structure, no need to see the people here, we already know who is here. Then there is this new element on the 3rd page, show that on a picture and then go back to to a wide angle which shows where the caractere will leave. And then the last picture with a very large angle to realy represent the “leaving” effect and the end of the story for the reader (he is quitting too).

I say that but I have no drawing talent, so I don’t know how much relevant is that. In any case a lot of work and I like the style. Well done.

1 Like

Thanks, Darkmoonrise :slight_smile: Although I’ve obviously read comics, I’ve not studied them very intensively. A lot of the style and tricks and so on, I’ve yet to figure out. Thank you for the tips! I’ll very much so consider them, perhaps incorporate when me brainz are not render fugged :slight_smile: I’ll do the next chapter, which is in progress and have a look-see at what to change.

Cheers again :slight_smile:

Edit: I did try to keep the story moving along and not be too wordy. Perhaps it is getting dull without enough action. hmm. I probably should have done all of it, then revised it, but… I had the first version which seemed ok, if not actually structured right. If I had done it all, I’d be posting nothing for about 2 - 3 weeks. I’ll have a think anyway. If it is coming across dull then it has to be restructured, very much so.

Another Edit: I’m not sure the reader(s) will be quitting, if they actually have read what has been put up.

Chapter 08 (Click an image then use the Arrows left and right to move through the Chapter)

2 Likes

Cheers, Caerfinon, I’ll have a futher look at this when I wake up (again) in a few hours :slight_smile:

I’ve just found out some people might have difficulty reading the fonts… I’ll need to think about that.

Edit: I can probably half the images and expand them in size. A bit more work though, but doable.

1 Like

Read it end to end…what terrific stuff, HolloPoint. Love the adventure and can’t wait until Chapter 9. P.S. Happy to help with the other approach…don’t know if you should reload everything just because I like it a bit bigger. Unless others report the same issue, carry on as you have been!

2 Likes

Cheers muchly, Blodwedd :slight_smile:

There are about four more chapters, depending on how I format them. The last three are long though, I reckon another week, week and a half to completion.

1 Like

Chapter 09 (Click an image then use the Arrows left and right to move through the Chapter)

1 Like

Chapter 10 (Click an image then use the Arrows left and right to move through the Chapter)

1 Like

Chapter 11 (Click an image then use the Arrows left and right to move through the Chapter)

1 Like

Chapter 12 (Click an image then use the Arrows left and right to move through the Chapter)

1 Like