This may affect *you*

https://forums.funcom.com/t/psa-removal-of-illegal-structures-in-upcoming-patch/75447

Regards

jim

5 Likes

I don’t really know what this means so I’m not sure I would be affected. That said I would like it explained to me in more detail so I know for sure I won’t be affected.

I sincerely hope you are correct, just don’t be surprised to find that it does.

Since they are so cautious about releasing it to officials, I suspect there will be collateral damage.

Regards

jim

I would also love to see some structures disappear on my server. That said I do believe a better explanation of just what is meant should be given aside from simply mentioning ceiling tiles and fence foundations. Please give a clearer example. What about how ceiling tiles or fence foundations are being used is a problem?

1 Like

Barakill, there has been ‘some’ clarification and you can find it in #game-chat on the Wiki Discord. Cattibria has some details, but has posted anything that would help us there.

I think the term “overlapping building pieces” seems to be the key, and the clarification in the second paragraph.

@zerog, interesting ride, indeed :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, we have no more insight other than the referenced announcement.

Regards

jim

This is a result of the cheaters using the server restart to dupe their content in vaults. They start the dupe process and need a server restart to finish it. Very convinient then to be able to crash the server for a restart as many times a day you need to.

3 Likes

::Parks an insulated dump truck outside Zero-G’s base::

:wink::call_me_hand:t2:

3 Likes

Can someone explain this in a bit better terms? I mean how am I to know if my building stuff is considered overlapping
Some screens or video pls

No screens is possible because pcs are overlapped!
E.g. it can happen easily using Sandstone Fence Foundations.

I cannot describe how because it can be used to crash server 

2 Likes

I think it’ll affect us, but i don’t understand will it destroy only the overlapping ? Or the Entire structure ?

If we have T3 and T1 Fence Fondation, will the T3 or T1 will be destroyed ? Or Everything ?

That’s a major concern for us, cause even if we didn’t want to overlap in purpose, when we upgraded T1 Fence foundation in T3 that was overlapping anyway. Nearly all our fence foundations are in this case. Would appreciate to know what will be deleted.

Kindly

Envatilia

1 Like

Did you abuse an exploit so that multiple pieces occupy the same point in space at the same time? If not, then you are basically fine.

5 Likes

Nope, playin on pvec without exploit using

Then unless you used some odd construction techniques, perhaps to mitigate a bug or round off a corner that was designed in, you should be good. YMMV, that was not a guarantee.

Regards

jim

Probably I’ll be forced to quit the game once and for all after that.

Because if I had understood correctly wht that means there is no possible fixing for this, the only way to “be prepared” is to destroy and rebuild bases.

Sorry, I understand (until a certain point) why you’re doing it, I’m not angry, I’m sad, because I don’t have nor the time nor the will to wipe out 11 months of my life and rebuild all that things.

And you can give us 5 or 100 days in advance that doesnt change anything, there is no fix for building have this problem since we have only 90° or 60° building pieces, the only fix it’s to rebuild ALL.

5 Likes

I am wondering about the placeables like chests or workbenches , that are a bit overlaping with construction pieces like walls ,
or items like wheel of pain and the animal pens or even the altars , that are a bit overlapping with fundations or ceilings , since when you place them it needs to some way be in the ground a little for it to not say " not enough contact with floor " will they be affected too ?

This will affect all of my gates since they would not snap on the edge of my fundations but always in the middle of them , so at the end I had to fix this issue by having them overlapping walls and some triangle ceilings to on the top too 

other than that I will be very sad to loose Born2beAlive , as he was one of the good guys to have around on a server with a magnificent base 

3 Likes

Can a more experienced player clarify what is considered ‘illegal’?
I understand cross foundations, but I often put fence foundations on the side of foundation blocks to hide the ugly transition from foundation to wall. I also use foundation blocks between walls to create a stronger defense. Is that considered ‘overlapping’?

Under correction, I suspect that any server with mods loaded that have any effect on how close build pieces can be placed to each other, overlapping build pieces, sinking build pieces below a certain ground level will have issues.

Based on what happened when the fix a couple of months back that cleaned up builds over spawn points and too near cities, etc., the areas affected will de-spawn.

So, if you have mods loaded, check with the Author/Dev.

On Official and un-modded servers I am guessing that there could be issues where if, for example, you keep rotating a fence foundation over/within a foundation until it stops saying it can’t be placed and then place it, you’re in for an ‘exciting’ time post-patch. Draw-bridges and elevators also have some overlap ‘glitches’ where you can kind of use triangle foundations to build creatively.

Post-patch screaming aside, just think of all the inconvenience this patch will cause to exploiters and griefers. Watching their complaints post-patch will make any base collapse my side well worth it :smiley:

Thanks in advance to FunCom on keeping the patches rolling! @Tascha

2 Likes

Hey there,

Let us clarify without going into specifics for obvious reasons:

Once the patch hits live, each server will be scanned and any overlapping structures will be completely erased from the database. By overlapping, as we explained in the announcement, we mean pieces that occupy the same spot in space. Also, fence foundations in cross formations will be targeted, as that is due to a bug that has been used extensively and caused some troubles.
Once that wipe takes place, servers will restart normally without those targeted pieces in place. That means, that when building stability calculations take place, all those wiped pieces wont be there anymore, thus collapsing any other pieces that would depend on the erased ones to sustain themselves.

As we said in the announcement, those of you who know exactly what it means don’t need any further explanation on what preparations to make before the patch lands. Those of you that still don’t know what all of this mumbojumbo means, it’s almost safe to say you shouldn’t worry too much about it.

And again, this will affect official servers only. It would be very difficult for us to predict the effects of this patch with any combination of mods installed.

As a final clarification, once the patch releases, building this kind of structures won’t be possible anymore.

Hope that cleared it out. Please feel free to share any questions you might have about this keeping our Community Guidelines in mind.

8 Likes

Will there be issues going forward on a modless server that still has some of these structures present? It’d be impossible for me to locate and remove them, and I’m very concerned that my database will become corrupted after the code is changed to no longer allow this type of placement. Surely this was tested?

I hope you’re right, because despite knowing in the broadest terms what the hubbub is kinda-sorta about (I think everyone on the forums has gathered at least an inkling) I still have absolutely no idea of what exactly the big problem is. Other than something to do with server performance.

Just hoping my carefully stacked (and sometimes overlapping!) fences/flowerpots will be fine, heh!

3 Likes