This owning of cosmetics system is not ok

Pretty much just need to disable looting of other people’s stuff entirely on official.

I never associated PvP with full looting and stealing gear. It feels weird that -that- is your primary focus for killing other people. Not destroying their base or killing them. But snagging their overpriced loot for yourself.

Either that, or just set something in place so you can loot it, but force it into a generic piece of gear that comes with the standard gameplay, rather than a Bazaar or Battle Pass piece.

Using the argument of “but they allowed it before”, doesn’t really hold any weight. Times change. You either adapt or you don’t.

They aren’t rolling back on this and letting you get free Bazaar items from your buddies, that much is a given. If you don’t pay, you don’t get to use it.

The best you can hope for is bazaar gear turning into an equivalent piece of standard gear, and the best you can really hope for on that would be getting the generic Light, Medium, or Heavy gear based on the weight of the gear that was taken. Because that’d probably be the easiest method of doing it.

1 Like

Not able to loot after a kill? Hell nahw… I want to make sure the person attempted to kill me has to pay for his/her risk.

They simply have to allow stuff like that be trade able again like it was before. Better for the cosmetic owners and better for non owners.

I can live without the trade able building pieces, but not the gear and weapons… you can’t even use it as a clan member.

Absurd.

3 Likes

That’s just not happening. This is their revenue stream now. They aren’t gonna jeopardize that just so people can loot it or pass it around to their friends.

People gotta just accept it and either buy it, or don’t and do without.

They don’t -have- to do anything, which most people seem to have a hard time understanding. They aren’t required to follow the old DLC method if they choose not to. Even if people boycott the Bazaar and buy nothing, they still don’t have to do anything. They can back down on Conan development and retire it in favor of new projects and Dune.

There are also “Bazaar Mounts” in real life, which you can’t just loot and use quickly. :crazy_face:

I guess it was one of these kind of mounts, so it looks pretty realistic to me. :sunglasses: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

In the past players would make DLC gear and then share it with their team (It was not purely cosmetic). If the team liked the gear and saw a use for it then more often than not they would buy it. Now that the Bazaar items cannot be shared unless everyone owns them then it creates a problem. Imagine defending a base where players can not pick up armour and weapons to defend the base because they don’t own it, it would be a frustrating disaster. I think clans might not be too happy with whoever had crafted it. Eventually at least as far as pvp is concerned players may not use or buy it at all.

4 Likes

oh yeah another point to add. If a player that is fully geared in bazaar items and falls in combat then the enemy may not be able to use their gear. Where as if a player wearing regular gear falls in combat the enemy can use their gear. Could this not be considered pay to win?

Well considering the person wearing that gear lost, I’ll let you answer that on your own.

guys welcome to the party… we got 42432 posts about that
check the forum… New Skin system is ruining a lot of game mechanics… unfortunately
poor calculated decision
Old skin system much smoother, nothing block you from playing the game, but if you want to own (create, repair, upgrade) new cosmetics - you must to buy it
Fair and balanced… no we GOT protected loot, people don’t even realize how it gonna backfire in the future…

1 Like

I’m seriously loving this…
I don’t talk about it 'cause I get your threads closed but damn…

1 Like

But seriously.
I don’t know how long some people have been playing computer games, but reading through some posts I wonder if they have ever heard of bound when equipped, bound on char, bound on account or similar.

Something like this has been around for more than 20 years and even in games where you can sell your own gear/loot in auction houses. There you can no longer sell your own equipment, because it is bound.

The fact that Funcom allowed all players to use DLC items they never paid a dime for was a concession by the developers, but we don’t have the right that they have to keep it that way.

You could even go much further with CE and make certain items only available to certain factions, after all, you choose them when you create your character. But even that would be absolutely nothing new in the gaming industry. Fighters have swords and shields, archers have bows/crossbows and only the assassin can use the found/looted daggers. Cimmerian can only use Cimmerian stuff and so on and so on. You name it.

These are all things that really everyone should know. Getting upset about it now is over 20 years too late, even WoW or GW weren’t the first who implemented such “features”. Were they punished or ignored because of this? Not at all.

Does such a thing really have bad effects? The most famous genre representatives use such mechanisms by the dozen and have existed for a very long time and even VERY successfully. Just think about it again

3 Likes

what are you talking about? i didnt open any threads at all, people do, forum is about opinions isnt it?
I owe every DLC, so its not about FREE stuff, is about changing one of the most core mechanics (looting) after 5 years of game lifetime, and about adding paywalls and restrictions to the gameplay, when it completely unnecessary (devs can make a buck with more gently and smooth way)

Unacceptable
I don’t even think they benefit as much from it not making it trade able.

I was merely responding to your statement that something will backfire. The text above is related to the thread and not personally to you.

Im sorry im responding to the Damon post above

1 Like

Speaking as one of the people who think this change is bad, yes, I’ve heard of these. In fact, I worked at a game studio for a brief 2-year period and got acquainted with how entitlement checks work.

Here’s a breakdown of why I think that this change is spectacularly bad:

• Being unable to loot something because it failed an entitlement check ruins the immersion even more than a crash or a similar game-breaking bug. We’re talking about the act of picking something up. Not even using it, just picking it up.
  • Having game elements that are bound on character – or on account – does not in any way necessitates a restriction on what items you can hold in your inventory or storage. There is absolutely no good reason why you should be unable to pick up, drop, and trade items you’re not entitled to. On the contrary, being able to pass on – or trade – items you cannot use to someone who can, would both give players an interesting choice and give them more incentives to eventually buy the gear.
  • Setting up expectations about fundamental mechanics of the game, affirming those expectations over 4 years, and then changing them drastically is never something to be done lightly. Making such changes as painless is possible is worth the effort that the Conan Exiles team did not see fit to spend.

I am extremely disappointed with the shift in Conan Exiles development “culture”, for lack of a better word. From where I stand, it looks like there has been a drastic change in power dynamics inside the team. It feels like the beancounter-and-marketing people are driving the bus, and they don’t care about throwing players under that bus.

I understand that the bottom line is important, and that every company needs to make money, but I strongly feel like there should be a better balance between making money and treating your playerbase right.

7 Likes

Well analyzed and understandable that it is always annoying when something is changed in life.
For a good reason, they say, We are a creature of habit.
That something is taken from you, which was simply given to you for free in the past, is painful, absolutely.

First you write that there is absolutely no good reason for it, but then you have given yourself the answer at the end. So no explanation needed here from my side.
Since you worked at a game studio yourself, I certainly do not have to explain that older projects have to pre-finance the newer projects of a studio like Metal: Hellsinger and Dune: Awakening, which cost millions nowadays and feed hundreds of people. Whether these projects will recoup the money spent, is still an open question. So Conan has to pre-finance these projects and feed all who are working on it and their families.

2 Likes

If that’s what you got from it, then I haven’t explained my point clearly enough.

What I’m trying to say is that there’s no good reason for being unable to loot stuff as opposed to being unable to use it. The entitlement check is implemented in the wrong place and I can’t see a good reason for it. “We didn’t have enough time to do it right” is not what I consider a good reason when it comes to a change that will generate an enormous amount of frustration and bad sentiments.

They simply should have given themselves the time they would have needed to place the entitlement check where it belongs, i.e. upon trying to use an item you’re not entitled to, as opposed to trying to transfer it to your inventory.

I have tried to be very careful about how I phrase this, to avoid implying that it’s an “easy solution”. I don’t know how complicated it would be to change the entitlement check, because I don’t have access to the codebase. But I stubbornly maintain belief that the complications of doing so do not outweigh the benefits of fostering goodwill with the playerbase.

I hope my point is clearer now.

7 Likes

Sounds like the fix is to poof the items or make them hidden/invisible in lootbags/containers. This way there is no error or false dopamine hit when such items are dropped.

I can tell you that on PVP servers running Fashionist or similar, no one cares if someone doesn’t drop the gear they appear to be having. So the issue is the gear drops but is unusable. Let’s cut that out entirely and the issue will be mitigated. Or at the very least turn it into its generic equivalent (Light/Medium/Heavy) to be placed in the dismantling bench.

1 Like

Ah I got it, I guess.

So they have to introduce the “bound by player” equipment.
The entitlement check allows you to pick it up.
Transfer it to whatever container/inventory you want.
But you can not do anything with it. Maybe dismantle is allowed.

Problem solved ?

4 Likes

Yep I agree. You should be able to grab it and do what you will except use it. Just like the mounts can be used as thralls by other clan members but can’t be ridden.

1 Like