Thralls seem to hold back

I’ll be fighting an NPC and they’ll throw off as many combos as they can get if they catch me with an opener, and these are just T1-3 mobs. Meanwhile, my T4 thrall is using 1 light attack every couple seconds, and being generally useless in a fight outside of just being another target, especially when they get stunlocked by multiple NPC’s. Anyone else notice this? Is that the way they’re supposed to be?

2 Likes

It’s been this way forever.

1 Like

Unfortunate, but not unexpected.

The competence of thralls seems to vary a great deal depending on unknown variables. I have some super-aggressive followers who regularly conduct full combos with a variety of weapons against all kinds of opponents, and sometimes the idiots just stand around wondering whether they should participate in the brawl. I guess they have union-regulated break times or something.

3 Likes

The one key I’ve found is they will attack, if you tell them to. But if you get surprised by a mob, even with your thrall in “Guard Me” mode, then yes, you can be getting the s**t kicked out of you, and they will sometimes sit back and let you die. One thing to try is move to that thrall, so the thrall gets hit like you do. Then sometimes “I’m getting attacked also, so maybe I should hit back” kicks in for your thrall. The other item I’ve found is playing time. The longer you are playing, the weirder thralls act. I like CE, but I’ve found it works better by logging out, shutting down, and then doing a full restart every hour. And by shutting down, make sure nothing is still running (Windows - Check Task Manager).

1 Like

If you’re playing online, you might want to check the server FPS, which you can see if you enable the debug HUD via the ToggleDebugHUD console command. If the server FPS is low enough, the AI performance is degraded server-wide.

2 Likes

I’ve experienced thralls doing single attacks once in a while, also sometimes standing for a long time just taking a beating while doing nothing, but my biggest problem has been that they quite often refuse to use their weapon and instead fight with their fists for a very long time :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.