Volcano and followers

Well I made my 2nd attempt to get obsidian recipes in the volcano and lost my 2nd high lvl thrall to the lava. Good news I got the recipes this time so you will never see this guy in the volcano again!!
Why do we have to jump across lava flows when your thrall jumps in them? Take them out till you fix the thrall AI. or disable lava damage to followers.

2 Likes

IMO, the best/easiest solution would be for falling and lava damage to be disabled on any follower that is currently in the Following state, save perhaps for mounts.

In the case where a player dies or gets disconnected, this invulnerability could persist into the Scouting state, but only so long as that player doesn’t elect to order another thrall or pet to follow them.

In this way, players could still go on a legit corpse run without being able to stage an army of thralls out on a lava bed for whatever reason.

4 Likes

You mean like on the patch coming on Thursday?

Pretty excessive to suggest they remove the entire Follower system though.

4 Likes

The irony in this post is that you can get the recipes without fighting a single mob until you get to the boss room where there isn’t even a boss to fight. There is no reason whatsoever to get a high level follower with you for this specific boss fight.

2 Likes

Yeah the “boss fight” is a non-issue, IME. The part where I like help though is for the fight at the volcanic forge itself – IMO, that’s one of the toughest PvE fights in the game.

That said, I do think there is a strong need for some folks to have a thall with them when exiting the Well. On many occasions, I’ve seen players lament that they cannot get out of the well alive because they have older/slower PCs; they get teleporter-killed by the T3 fighters and archers who spawn by the portal’s exit destination.

For such players, having a thrall along may be their only alternative to a mandatory corpse run if they hope to complete this content unaided by other players. Hopefully the upcoming patch will help to facilitate doing so…

2 Likes

Or you can just take a fresh slave out of the wheel, put it in your inventory with its future gear and place near the forge. It kills the tough guys, you set it to guard the forge area and go for the recipes/ingredients.
If it survives it’s worthy to keep! (At least that’s my tactic). And cover the lava rivers outside the Well of skelos with foundations.

2 Likes

The irony is the game is played with followers and just because you dont need a follower does not mean everyone else doesnt either. There is a problem here and it needs to be fixed.

If I had to do it again this is what I would do, but there is a place where the path has given away and you must jump to the other side, thats where your follower falls into the lava and dies before you can get down there and get them out. Building a bridge would help but my point is this could be changed by the devs just to stop followers from jumping in, once they get followers to jump then put it back.

1 Like

You don’t need to jump over lava flows if you go in through dragonmouth.

1 Like

Yes that fight at the forge is a good one, I have never did the final fight so I assumed it would be a tough one also and this is why I brought a follower, It did turn out to be very easy which I was surprised.

1 Like

Sorry I meant in the Well of Skelos part, or does dragonmouth lead here?

it does. There is a path from dragonmouth direct to the well. I’ve never tried to take a thrall the other way because of the lava flow problem.

1 Like

Remove the need to jump over lava flows. Followers dont jump they dont climb.

I also want to say im not the type of player that just runs by everything right to the boss then out again.
I fight every creature down and up, I explore every part of the place and experience the game the devs meant for it to be experienced. I use a follower.

2 Likes

Only issue is many times that path is blocked by other players.

On PvE 1502, the same clan that tried to hem in my New Asagath base built junk all over the wending path across the lava. I’ve also seen forum members here post screenshots of bases built upon that path, so it’s not a unique scenario…

2 Likes

What if the developers wanted you to experience the content without a follower killing everything for you? What if they made the volcano so punishing for a reason? The volcano is an end-game zone.

1 Like

Yeah, without a thrall this Volcano T3 fighers are even worse than the Cim T3/T4. The serpentman creatures are Ok… But this damn humans :smiley:

PS.: Knock the thralls out with a truncheon, before going into the well. But I also have never thought about that… Idea was from someone else :smiley:

PPS.: @Narelle You have to fight at least 1 serpentman. Otherwise the door does not open. But I did the whole dungeon without a thrall… Its not hard. The forge human fighters are more tricky, than the whole dungeon. Except you want to run the same way back and do stupid things around the lava :smiley:

1 Like

Well that’s fair. I would have anticipated that being a no build zone. But by that token, can’t you build a bridge over the lava flow?

2 Likes

You can if there’s enough space around the blocking clan’s land claim, yes. On 1502 I had a highway from the obelisk to the well to ensure trolls could never completely seal it off, and I did the same when I left to start a private server. (Would have liked to be a fly on the wall the first time someone discovered all my infrastructure was gone.)

That said, even with a safe walkway with railings the whole way, thralls will still teleport themselves into lava for no aparent reason. Hence why I maintain that thralls should be immune to lava and falling whilst in the Following state.

2 Likes

I also did the dungeon with a thrall… I think even before thrall-leveling. So 7k max. There are I think only 2 jumping scenarios. Just clear everything before, then run/jump fast through it… Thrall can still lose >2k hp when running around :smiley:

So use food or healing arrows, if you want to bring the thrall.

I would recommend: if you want to use the forge, bring a thrall. Its easier. But keep in mind, where your thrall stands while you use the forge (there are open holes - for whatever reasons).

For the dungeon: If you are lvl60, its really easy. Just make the loop and dont try to run the same way back.

1 Like