What is everyones thoughts on the New Construction System?

Ummm, this is a survival game, after all, crafting is NOT the only aspect of it. You explore, you fight, you survive, you build, AND you craft. Taking ONE aspect of the game and calling it the focus cause it suits you is not a valid argument.

But since you brought it up, I need to craft weapons, armours, potions, dyes, decorations still in artisan tables, food, etc.

And for the buildings you still need (lets take T3 shall we?) collecting materials to craft iron, steelfire, to craft steel, to craft steel reinforcements, wood to craft shafts, and materials to craft bricks, and hardened bricks. That not enough crafting for you?

This isn’t “craft me a river”, its a survival game. You got more than enough crafting. If you need those extra 10 seconds for each foundation to feel a sense of accomplishment and you don’t get a sense of accomplishment after spending x10 that time to craft the materials in the first place, then thats on you really.

No, I don’t want to play creative mode. I get my sense of accomplishment and immersion just fine from playing the game as it is. And even if I did want to go to creative mode, even more reason why the hammer is better. Spawning items from your admin to use over and over again compared to just using the hammer? :clown_face:

Riiiiight…

I got used to it.

1 Like

Git gud. Being able to delete way faster and at much more distance now instead of running around to each piece doesn’t mean you don’t need to take a second to make sure what piece is red for you to delete. Thats on you. Sorry.

I really don’t think its an invalid argument at all. Lets see what is the number one thing all survival games have in common? oh yea crafting! Name 3 good survival games that never “craft” their building pieces? Say what you want but building pieces are a huge part of the overall experience and crafting building pieces is a huge part of the immersion. So apparently the 5 seconds it takes to craft fiber into twine doesn’t bother you? but you cant handle crafting a wood wall? lol Its not just about accomplishment but also the immersion factor. I guarantee that more people than not would rather have more immersion in a survival game.

I’m fine with the building hammer as I actually like it and I’m perfectly ok with the building menu but we should be able to “pre craft” what we want instead of it magically appearing like a creative mode. That is taking steps backwards imo and many share that same sentiment. Hopefully like you said they can improve this system. I wont hold my breath though…

2 Likes

Being completely honest, I don’t like other survival games. Tried them and, not my cup of cake. Not one bit. Conan Exiles is the only one that not only I like, but I got addicted to.
And after adding mods as well… boy, the crafting has sky rocketed to entire new levels. I got crafting on crafting out of crafting into crafting.

The crafting time of pieces was not a huge issue, but I will be honest, I felt zero accomplishment with it. Only encumbrance. I felt accomplishment from having to climb mountains through rockbiters or what they are called to mine iron, caves and gas lakes to mine brimstone, then tar and ichor and the list goes on. All that work to make the materials for even a brick. And then having all the bricks, wood shafts, iron reinforcements, to allow for that foundation to be built. THAT was the sense of accomplishment. The entire journey to make it possible in the first place.

Whether I have those extra 5 seconds to make the foundation or see it right away makes little difference. I spent literally hours to be able to get to this step in the first place. So no, I don’t need it.

As for the immersion, this I can be ok with as an opinion.

For immersion reasons I can see there is a valid point to it.

Nothing to do with crafting though, there is so much crafting I enjoy as it is, that a building piece being crafted is literally the last thing I care about.

I mentioned the crafting time more however to respond to people saying it takes longer now. LOL. This is objectively not possible.

A solution to make everyone happy could be a timer on the pieces we lay down. As in, allow us to go ahead with the new system and place the pieces, but the pieces take the same time as before, in order of placement, to be finalized and hence built. They could be desaturated, or some other shade, to show that the remaining pieces you placed are the layout, you put the materials into it, and now it is being built.

This could also add better balance to PvP, instead of walls just appearing from thin air constantly.

Nothing wrong with the system though, and this is one aspect of many. And honestly, I really don’t care either way. But for some to say the new way is slower is just being haters at that point really. Thats my take on it.

This has taken not steps, but giant strides forward. And some small things that can be nitpicked on are really not even that important, but hey, one can make a mod for them I am sure, and if people ask for adding to the system things that work without just saying “this system is bad”, then maybe we might get these additions. Who knows.

edit:
its magically appearing either way. Those 5 seconds are not what made all the time needed to craft the foundation. It takes like 10 mins for a single foundation (unless you have many stations, which is also an accomplishment to see how fast materials are built).

As for the pre-crafting option, for sharing pieces with others, I mentioned an idea how to add this right after that same post.

Just allow us to “build into” a container. Same as now in other words, just point to a container and start adding the pieces. Someone else can pick them up or have them ready for later. The system only needs now to add a check to how many of said item exist in your inventory, if true and item exists, no materials need and placed right away regardless.

Again, the system is way better. Improving small things it has here and there that one can complain over goes into what I initially said, that it can be indeed improved and of course its not perfect. Far from it. I mean, if I was making a building system I would go a very different direction period that is not similar to this or the old mechanic, but saying “I have a great idea” is not adding anything to the conversation. Seeing what aspects can be improved from an already superior building method in an existing game is indeed something we can do however.

1 Like

Well I definitely think the game has taken steps foreword but some steps back as well. I`m not complaining too much though as I’m generally happy with the new updates. (Hate the new store feature and pricing.) To me Conan is one of the best building survival games Ive ever played and I played most all… I guess building is my favorite aspect for survival games first over all vs the other things you can do.

Its probably why this update is hard for me to swallow, But I do also tend to love the “grind” and the more crafting to craft more things the better but to each their own. I admit I am very picky of what i like in a survival game. lol The problem is everyone has their own idea of what they want in a survival crafting game so i fully “get it”. lol

I actually do like the new building menu I don’t think its slowing things down at all and people just need to adjust to the change and get used to it more. For me though I just want my crafting fix built into the new system. lol But hopefully the devs can find a balance and make most people happy.

1 Like

Yeah sure, I think that is a fair take.

Also initially when you talked about the crafting aspect I almost thought you where just disagreeing for the sake to disagree. But when you put it that way, especially in terms of immersion, I get where you are coming from.

As someone that enjoys immersion myself (and in fact make things a little “harder” when I play Conan Exiles on solo, even things like increased crafting times, etc) its to create better immersion for myself again.

So yeah, totally get where you are coming from when you put it that way :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Seems you answered your own question. :wink:

So thats it? LOL. No building pieces for sharing? A system that is 10 times better is not good enough because freeloaders can’t share?

Ok lets not put them all under the same category, lets say its a guild and some focus on other knowledge and builders just pick up pieces and build.

I gave a solution to this, with hammer in build mode point and click into containers to create pre-built pieces.

If this however is the real reason, nobody is complaining on the actual reason then and coming clean. Instead they are saying all this other arbitrary stuff to diss a better mechanic instead of just come out and give a solution to their actual problem.

So my initial statement still holds. I gave 10 reasons why the system is better, ONE reason why it is not, and went to give a solution for it. And as aceguy7 mentioned, immersion could be another reason to make changes. A solution was given to that as well.

So, yeah, I did not answer my question. What I am reading in complaints did not at any point complain about no pre made pieces and people are going on about complaints over deleting things, how to quick select pieces, complaining over not having the items on a quickbar, complaining even that it is slower when this literally cannot be the case. 100 foundations at even 5sec each is 500 seconds for the pieces to be ready, now its instant. So that complaint is also invalid.

So… yeah. Still struggling to comprehend what I am reading :kissing_smiling_eyes:

If you want to share Building pieces just install the Pickup+ Mod.
Found out by accident yesterday that it still allows you to pickup building pieces and put them in your Hotbar, Inventory or a Container.
I was able to pack up and move a small Thrall taming base that way.

But does that still allow you to pass it to someone who doesn’t own the DLC, and can they use it?

I dont know as I play Solo Single Player

Alright… not all… 92.75% then?

You don’t seem to be reading the same threads I am.

If it does it will likely be black-listed pretty quick.

No idea… lol. I have zero clue how many freeloaders there are. I am just playing devils advocate for the benefit of a doubt. Maybe they aren’t freeloaders and they have legit strategy reasons to want building pieces. lol. Maybe they are 92% for all I know :laughing:

I am not reading any threads, and you should not assume that I am. I read this thread alone, and at the time of my own post responded with regards to what posts I saw. I don’t need to do a search on the forum and study a few hours a topic before posting my opinions on a single thread I entered and read :slight_smile:

Got way better things to do than sit in a forum all day. I will happily indulge from time to time and enjoy my stay in here, but much less than you think and very sparse. Some people enjoy talking in forums all day and reading, others enjoy doing other things. Each to their own :man_shrugging:

Probably, yes.

Why though? So are they purposefully making this change to go out of their way to stop people from sharing DLC buildings?

Well, after adding a battlepass in the game, I wont be surprised any more.

Whats next? Armours we make with DLC skins are going to be bound?

I don’t think they have said anything on the matter, so all we’re left with is speculation. My assumption - and that’s certainly all it is - is that yes, this is very much on purpose.

I’ve read some posts that sound like that might already be the case. But I haven’t verified any of that for myself, just like I haven’t with the building pieces. Should be easy to check using my alt account which only has some of the DLCs though.

1 Like

No comment… honestly… no comment.
Aside from the new “building hammer” which I liked, I see so many things in the game I do not agree with. And now, it seems it is going into even worse directions.
Greed greed greed…

I play on PC. Some things I like about the new system, some things I hate. The things I hate could be improved upon if Funcom cared.

Most of the time when I wanted to build, I was dedicated towards building. Earlier, while harvesting resources I would craft up a bunch of all the pieces I knew I was going to use. When ready to build I would have all the stuff from the one themed set I wanted to place in my inventory. I could easily load up the hotbar with what I would need for awhile, and quickly swap around to build different things.

What the new Hammer limits is the ability to quickly swap to another piece that isn’t conveniently nearby to copy. Instead of just pressing the hotbar number to swap to another piece, I have to open the build menu, find the correct heading to click into, then scan through the large list of items for the exact one I actually need. This slows me down a lot when I’m actually working on building stuff.

An easy solution to bring back functionality is to just give us a 2nd building hotbar. Let me navigate the build menu once to fill up the bar with new pieces I want to be using so I can quickly swap around. That plus the copy function will greatly speed up my actual building.

Something else that would be handy is a search bar in the build menu, so I could just type a few characters and quickly filter down to what I want instead of always navigating around and searching myself.

I like some of the other suggestions, like building pieces directly into a box to be shared. A little cumbersome, but at least a potential solution. Combining the Construction and Repair hammers would be nice too.

Something else I’m curious about, has anyone else ever had issues with the building system not snapping pieces onto existing ones at all? I’ve had that a couple times in an old base of mine, where the construction hammer would stop letting me connect pieces. I would eventually get it to work again after swapping between build/delete mode repeatedly and changing weapons a lot, it would eventually work again. Not positive that isn’t somehow mod related breaking things in unexpected ways. I’ve also had cases where I try to pickup stuff using the old default pickup menu action, and things nearby get deconstructed back to my inventory instead of what I was targeting.

Yes I have both those issues happening often. Not game breaking, but annoying as hell.

1 Like