Why didn't you just

I agree. The encumbrance part only applied in the case if you didn’t lose all your stuff in the wreck.

I agree with having to pay for the new map i just believe there should be some consolation for those to unfortunate to afford it. With Covid19 still ongoing alot of people are still unable to return to work. I work as a remodeling contractor which requires me to go into peoples homes which is strictly restricted right now. So no work = no money. So with them saying that everything new is part of the DLC and that said DLC uses a seperate data file, then its my interpretation that unless you pay for the new pack you get absolutely nothing.

Absolutely.

As well “expansion” seems more of:
Accessing new content, being it a new area, new map, a new dungeon, etc with your current character.

Another point is, often a in case of “expansion” we get the following scenarios:

A) The content is set to a range relayed to the level of the player; e.g.: a player level 5 would experience the content in a difficult fit to that level (talking about NPCs/AI) whereas the player level 50 would experience the content matching such a level

B) New area can be accessed only when reaching specific level—again referring to “expansion” of current content

The issue I have, and it might be me being naive in here, is the use of “expansion”. It does feel more like Conan Exiles II rather than an addition/expansion to the current Conan Exiles.

My excitement has faded a lot for this…knowing that that character I spend hours and hours, months and months on it cannot visit the new map and explore it

But then again, the same way there are plenty of games with expansions which don’t fall in the definitions you gave…and can be interpreted as not true expansion. You see double-edged blade…

I hate mentioning names of other games in a specific game forum but for the sake of argumentation–and yes yes comparisons are unfair, pretty aware of that–but

ESO ( Elder Scrolls Online) being playing it for the past 4 years. They do release every year expansions of their map (which is pretty big, even with separate maps which one can access via fast travel) new dungeons, new weapons, new skills etc and you are given the option to:

A) as a veteran to explore the new area/map at your will with your current character progress
B) start a brand new character if you wanted to

That game also adjusts the content difficult (for the sake of simplification) to the players level. So the player at level 10 experiece the content adjusted within a range that includes the player level and so does the max level.

Now quoting another game, yes different style etc but for the argument, The Witcher 3. You get your expansion and one can only access those areas when a specific level is reached.

I understand the tech-limitations… but the term expansion is sort of misleading, if feels more like Conan Exiles II rather than Conan Exiles expansion.

It not that it would cause an imbalance on console what would be unfair would be that PC will have the OPTION to transfer their old characters into the new map. Its bad enough knowing all the other mods they have access to but now they will be able go to a new map and not have to start from scratch also? From console point of view its like we are outside the club freezing cold waiting in line while PC players high five the bouncer then just walk on in.

Sounds like you picked the wrong platform to play the game on :slight_smile:

1 Like

Starting from scratch is literally the point of the game. I’d actually feel kinda badly for those who do such a thing as their knee-jerk response because they will have just cut short so many of their opportunities for actually enjoying the game.

There will always be the issue of mods between PC and console. Unfortunately saying “Since it can be moded to behave this way you should just put it into the game,” isn’t really going to work most of the time.

I never defined expansion to fall into my category only. I am mentioning that their definition isn’t the sole one and that other games have done this version of expansion, so as you see it isn’t a double-edged blade. Arguing this isn’t an expansion is what I am targeting not the definition.

It is fine to mention other games if you use them as a means of reference to compare this game to. We compare objects to other objects to get a familiar example or set a specific bar to meet. Comparing how this game releases its content vs others is fine. If you are going to be mean about it, then no.

In regards to ESO it is an MMO with a custom engine which is supported by massive servers that are able to take the strain. It also doesn’t feature a sandbox crafting environment, so you it unfair to compare the two in terms of perfomance. What you could compare is how ESO sells their expansions, which is the same as this game except I get to take my character to it, but I am unable to access any classes, items, crafting, etc that it comes with.

And I have spent hours playing over 100 characters in conan. Now I get to enjoy doing it again for the 101th time.

Some of us in the world lack a choice as gaming PC’s are significantly more expensive.

Yes starting from scratch when you buy the game or join a new server is the point of the game. But whats the point of starting if you cant continue into the new with progress you have worked to accomplish? For example you go to college work your butt off to get your degree then get a job in your field of study a few years later you get a job offer making only 5% more income but you have to move to a new city and have to earn your degree again, would you take the job?

1 Like

If I go to run a D&D adventure for my friends and the cover says, “Designed for 1st level characters,” then it’s pretty obvious I shouldn’t have the players showing up with their high level characters from a prior campaign. Same applies here.

4 Likes

To be completely honest here, that is pretty close to how I envisioned it, and is also the direction which I personally would have preferred. To me Conan Exiles, much like the Dragonborn on Skyrim was the story of my character, and his rise from an underskilled, impoverished captive, to the most wealthy and powerful warrior in land, doing what The Archivist thought impossible. He retrieved all of the artifacts a forged the Keystone. And I was kind of hoping this would be the next phase of his story. Instead this is going to be more akin to a Tarantino film, or ‘The Getaway’, where we have multiple characters events playing out seperately.

Now, for me while this is a little bit of a bummer, it is far, and I mean FAR from a deal breaker. There have been so many times since Conan Exiles launched that I wished I could relive that initial challenge, excitment and discovery I felt in my first weeks in the Exiled Lands. This is our chance to do just that, and then more again! And in a way I am looking foward reliving that great journey and meteoric rise. The bottom line for me is that I am still excited for this.

Bring on the Map Expansion!! :smiling_imp: :metal:

4 Likes

You are aware that console player are what keeps the game alive right? Don’t ignore facts. And don’t bash on 90% of the player base because you can afford a PC .

Please be respectful to each other and stay civil.

5 Likes

I skimmed over this topic so if I missed it, my apologies.
If and when one decides to finally remove their bracelet and escape the exiled lands, you start over at level 0 once again.
You’re leaving everything behind.
You take nothing with you except what you wore when you escaped.
You’re not recreating your character, but you get to go back into the Exiled Lands for some oddly insane reason when that’s contrary to why you escaped in the first place.

So, now you’ve escaped and somehow managed end up at the end of some imaginary journey on the sea .

As bad luck has it, you end up on the Isle of Siptah because of a shipwreck.
(I’ve seen no direct mention of Siptah in Howard’s stories, but one alludes to a story called, “The Black Pool” where Conan ends up shipwrecked on an island.)

In concept, you lost everything.
You’re starting from scratch. level 0.
Well, that’s just plain bad luck for us, isn’t it.

So, what’s the problem?

Unreal Engine Dev here. Not how that works. Unreal can handle much larger environments than Conan’s Exiled Lands. Why they didn’t add Isle of Sipta to the existing World Composition is confusing to me (@FC I’m sure you guys had a good reason to not incorporate Sipta into the existing world–though I hope it wasn’t a conscious design choice). It is totally possible to have different Unreal Engine Maps (“Levels”) use data from the same Database. IMO it would have been both MUCH cooler, and more productive (FC essentially made it so that 90+% of new players may NEVER see all the content their team created in the Exiled Lands). I personally would have prefered if FC had made it so that you leave the Exiled lands, end up stranded on Sipta with no gear and then made it so that you could return to the Exiled lands after completing certain activities on Siptah.

Not bashing FC here. I think they wanted to return people to the struggle for life, which is cool. But I do think there were better ways of NOT scrapping a player’s progress entirely and wiping the exiled lands. What I wonder now though is… will I still be able to play the Exiled Lands on Public PvP? or Is FC going to wipe my server and force me to buy the Siptah expansion?

1 Like

As in, someone who works with Unreal Engine? Or someone who works on Unreal Engine? I suspect it’s the former, because it would explain the rest of your post.

Maybe in newer versions. Conan Exiles is built on top of UE 4.15

As @Multigun explained it succinctly in another thread:

1 Like

Maybe in newer versions. Conan Exiles is built on top of UE 4.15

Right… this is a valid point. I forgot that for a moment…Yes, it was also the former. I work with Unreal Engine.

I’m a content and gameplay dev, not a tools engineer.

I would like to add though that I believe it would have been possible to connect the two… but I’m starting to question myself… it’s given me a lot of fun dev questions to find the answer to namely: can a single Unreal Project support multiple World Composition worlds… :thinking:

EDIT: Answer: Yes. It is possible for Unreal Projects to support multiple World Composition Worlds.

2 Likes

@dubs_checkem I’ve heard of the ark alpha clan issue you mention as well I’ve also heard of players moving and losing everything (not sure what exactly everything means in terms of ark as I quit playing due to not caring for its inventory UI and other early aspects of the game that I just couldn’t figure out early on… but it seems as though it’s a good idea that just doesn’t work well in various ways. I would like to be able in single player to finish one and move to the other with a higher difficulty but at the same time I’m enjoying learning the new map from scratch

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.