Fearing for the original map

Sigh, Everquest and MMOs are not Conan Exiles (are people seriously comparing a game that was made 20 years ago to the complexities of a modern survival game? I just…I’m speechless) . If it was so easy to have multiple “zones” why do you think Ark with its hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue uses a different server for every map?

Yes, Ark uses a cluster system to allow players to easy mode port their uber characters and dinos from map to map. Funcom wants to do it differently. They are allowed to. And yes, Ark charges for those maps too (and no, before you say it, the ones that are given away are fan made).

Show me a source. In almost a year now, not one person who has made this claim has given an actual source of this information. The one and only thing people have used is an out of context quote by Natascha that was clearly used to support their agenda. The only actual time they have talked about it was during a dev stream in 2019, when one of their Senior Developers said that if they ever worked on a map, they would charge for it.

No, they couldn’t have. The engine literally cannot support any further direction in map size. I don’t know how many more times this needs to be stated (because its nearing a thousand at this point). Physics engine literally breaks down. You can test this yourself using the dev kit.

It’s not a single player game, it’s a multiplayer game. If it was a single player game, you could move the map origin (0,0,0) with the character and have as big of a map as you want. There is no tech in UE4 that allows this in a multiplayer game. Not in 4.15 especially.

Even if that wasn’t the case, all the lag talk about the current servers would be immeasurable.

10 Likes