Will any future DLC's fill the empty top-right quadrant of the map?

I feel ya. For what it’s worth, my perspective was that of the bowl of petunias in the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, so that’s what prompted my reply. :wink:

To expand a bit on my late-night drunken rant from last night, the problem isn’t that it’s impossible, the problem is that it isn’t feasible. Funcom will not expand the Exiled Lands map with new lands and biomes because of the limitations of the technology they use:

(As an aside: that quote above is from a post I have saved in my forum bookmarks, that’s how often I have to quote it :wink: )

So given the limitations of the tech, what can be done to shove the square block in the round hole? Well, upgrade the engine version and then use whatever it is that the newer version gives you, right? Reportedly, that effort is comparable to a rewrite of most of Conan Exiles. This is where the feasibility comes in.

Can it be done? Yes. It’s not a software problem that depends on proving that P=NP. But how long would it take? What would happen to the game while it’s being done? I still remember reading, back in 2000, the post Joel Spolsky wrote about Netscape rewrite, and it’s another thing I’ve had to link to a lot in these forums, because it’s relevant to this topic. TL;DR: Halting all development while you rewrite things from scratch will most likely kill your product.

Nothing wrong with hippies. From what I hear, they had a much better time than we’re having these days :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, I initially assumed it was about adding stuff to Siptah map and just didn’t say anything. But then @Kapoteeni and @Grymm changed my mind, and since there was no reply from @KmKn, I assumed I was wrong and they were right.

Wouldn’t it be hilarious if we all got this wrong, though?

2 Likes