Why they gotta make it so real?

So I’m rolling along, killing a camp of NPC’s and as one dies they said something like, “I just wanted to see the sunset one last time.”

Actually made me feel really bad for a totally imaginary death.

Any NPC lines hit you harder than they should?

3 Likes

Its I just wanted to smell the salt one last time. Don’t feel bad they wouldn’t if they had killed you…

1 Like

“Your death will be as meaningless as your life.” always feels a little personal.

Like, okay, I work hard & enjoy winding down with games, no need to be so judgy about it…

6 Likes

I remember someone once complained on the global chat about how Cimmerians were taking it too personally. Turns out he thought they were saying “your death will be as meaningless as your wife”. :laughing:

8 Likes

Hokey pokey matey gets me right in the feels every time…

7 Likes

Everytime they say “i didn’t wanted to be here” i respond to them: Me either, mate…
Then i realise that i could stop projecting my life as a prisioner in an imaginary world of meaningless violence and agression simply by exiting the game.

But that wouldn’t be fun, isn’t it? so i keep playing…

6 Likes

I almost felt bad.
Almost.
Knowing they wouldn’t have given me a chance to just walk through their camp.

1 Like

“I never wanted to be here!..”

Literally me everyday at work.

7 Likes

“Tell me your name so I can carve it on your pyre” I think it’s a little bit to serious xD

2 Likes

I’ve killed enough of them that their last words no longer affect me. Which says a lot, I guess. I’m at the point I just find annoying the gurgling sound they randomly make when you kill them, like choking on their own blood. Again, the fact that I find that just annoying says a lot.

2 Likes

I find it amusing that they say anything at all after being chopped in half :laughing:

3 Likes

Really? Documented by who? I’m no expert but to the best of my knowledge talking requires the use of vocal cords which would be severed during beheading and the ability to breathe which would end when the head is removed.

Hence why Chaonike said “tried to”. I don’t even know if that’s real or not, but moving your mouth as if trying to gasp for air doesn’t need vocal cords or lungs.

4 Likes

True, but it also doesn’t mean she was trying to speak, it’s more likely to have been muscular spasms than any conscious attempt at speech. Not that it’s really relevant, I just thought it’s highly unlikely. But while it could be possible for someone to speak after being chopped in half (which is what I said amuses me) I doubt that many people in that situation would be reeling off meaningful sentences, I imagine it’s more likely to be frantic and pained, which is why the coherent last words spoken from an enemy in 2 or more pieces is amusing to me :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

one of my funniest was my thrall fighting one of the warmaker dudes sounded like a legit exchange
“Taste death”
“I have tasted death human, let me share it with you”

8 Likes

It’s “Taste this”

1 Like

FYI (speaking of “make it so real”), irrecoverable brain damage from lack of oxygen doesn’t set in for several minutes. Brain death from lack of oxygen takes, on average, about 10 minutes. Consciousness fades far more swiftly, taking an average 8-10 seconds. So yes, decapitating someone eliminates their ability to breathe, but they’re still alive. And the nerves that ennervate the facial muscles are still connected. So yeah…they’re still trying to breathe. And talk. And look around.

Just something to further horrify you the next time you whack an enemy’s head off. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The Medical Answer

The simple act of removing a head from a body is not what kills the brain. This doesn’t just apply to the guillotine. Any forms of swift decapitation will have the same eventual result. If, however, the brain receives no trauma from the killing blow and the decapitation is clean, the brain will continue to function until the lack of oxygen and vital chemicals from blood loss causes unconsciousness and death. The current medical consensus is that survival does occur post-decapitation for a period of roughly 10 to 13 seconds. The amount of time varies depending on the victim’s build, general health, and the immediate circumstances of the fatal blow.

Excerpt from this page

4 Likes

Still it seems unlikely that a severed head would want to do anything other than scream in pain, I don’t plan on ever finding out for certain but I’d imagine it’s rather excruciating.

1 Like

Tried to talk no vocal no lungs attached to head. True or not sounds good.