A plea to casual players about offline protection

I’m pretty sure we already have something like this: It’s called Time-Restricted PVP. You can only raid other people’s bases at certain times on certain days of the week. If none of the servers have a PVP schedule that you want, then you can always get your own.

I don’t think you understand what DEBATE really means, I’m asking for a DEBATE, meaning questioning all your(mine, our) beliefs to gain a higher knowledge. :wink:
So your comment is not really constructive or add content to the argument.

That said I’m making my own game and this discussion is giving a big insight on things to make

And I really admire them for that, and that’s another reason I love conan exiles and I’m most probably going to buy conan unconquered too, but still that doesn’t give me an explanation to question my belief to why somebody should be allowed to have unusable/non interoperable stuff in game because he cannot be in the game. BEWARE, right now we all know there’s raid time, I’m just asking why this type of game should have a offline protection if it ever going to be implemented and what right people have to it, being a virtual world and that most people I know who believe they have a “moral” in a game are the type of people who have a very low moral in real life.

That said it’s probably better to close the discussion here, pardon me to have taken your time. :slight_smile:

Maybe to understand what your argument, we could reverse the logic. The question could be what right do you have to their stuff while they’re offline?

3 Likes

That is a great way to put it. What does one get out of raiding a clan or solo when they aren’t on to defend it?

To answer the reason why some people would like offline protection, it really comes down to real life commitments. Jobs, School, family emergencies, vacations. All of which a majority of people will encounter. Alot of people use games to relax with, and many think that having offline protection of some sort would keep player count up, and make for better PvP servers. But there is no solid work around for people logging off if getting raided to stop raid.

To me, both sides have the same problem, but for different agendas. People who raid offline people exclusively (there are many like that on officials) and people whowould log off to stop a raid both are avoiding melee and conflict. I do not know the answer of how to balance it so that true PvP players (ones that prefer the challenge of raiding online clans and melee at the walls!) can enjoy the game despite the other two styles.

2 Likes

I don’t but i can explain.

Casual gamers who work and leave their houses for a living, don’t like to come back to a pvp server and find they have been wiped because an alpha clan with 8 + people who all play for somewhere in between 8-14 hours per day, can do this anytime you go to work, training, dinner… etc.

People enjoy the pvp but when you have a life it is impossible to keep a base alive. Hence why people want offline protection.
Only people with no lives have the luxury of excelling at these pvp/base building games.

I’ve known guys who have occasionally spent over 100 hours per week in game.
1 girl i know doesn’t work and she spends all day everyday mining explosives for her alpha clan \o/

Offline protection is more fair for people who enjoy sunlight and living.

3 Likes

Our server limits raiding times, and prevents “offline” raiding. We have a complex war system that notifies you if you are going to be attacked No Mods.

Damn that sounds so good.

1 Like

In what time I have spent on pvp server the only time I Got raidedwas when offline and had a ton of pets and thralls around apparently watching each other die things taken and others dropped to decay. Now that is sporting.I would appreciate no offline raiding even on servers that have no offline raiding it happens kiss admin a@s

Because I’m actually playing the game so the electricity and data is not wasted? make sense? enviromentally speaking?

I’m just making a case for a debate, about data and electricity usage, and all that stuff.

That I’m actually playing the game and your stuff while offline is using electricity, data, and remote resources (on both server and client)?
Are survival games that leave stuff online while you go offline “morally” non enviromentally friendly?
That could be the question, again it’s up for debate, are you willing to question “your morality” on such an argument or your morality goes as far as “don’t tough my virtual stuff if I’m not online”?
:slight_smile:

Because you have the time to play when others are not, everything should be fair game to you and you should also have the double advantage of having not only more time to get your own stuff but you get to take everyone else’s too…

You and the people you are complaining about have paid the same. Stop making financial arguments that have zero validity unless you are paying for the server yourself and then… the rules are what you make them?

1 Like

You’e going through an awful lot of mental gymnastics here to try to justify your sense of entitlement to other people’s stuff, buddy.

2 Likes

LOL.
Did you just say i was immoral as a response for me wanting to know what gaming rush someone gets out of offline/no resistance raiding?
Yes i am the most immoral person on Conan Exiles. Conan. Exiles. Conan. Barbarian laws. Conan. Survive and Dominate. Conan. Raid others. Conan. Enslave thralls. Conan. Human sacrifice of Arch Priests. Conan…should i go on.

2 Likes

And to be fair, I consider offline raiding a tactic ( not one i like). And i define it as raiding an active clan that has not logged in yet, and then retreating when they do log in to defend. If a clan is only logging in to refresh, then tbh, people should start to wipe their stuff from the servers. Again. If you pay attention to the player list, you know who has more or less “quit” and just refresh once a week over a month. they are not active in my books. But if a clan has a day or 2 where RL stuff prevented them from logging in for the first, say, 3 hours of raid time, and you decide it is your chance to raid them, don’t turtle up in your lollipop bubble base if they get on and catch you mid raid. That is BS in my book, and breaks the intended mechanic and fun of the PVP game.

Hmm. Basically q9c9p is asking for the reasoning of offline raid protection which would work in favor of casual guys.

So here are my thoughts on that topic:

Offline protection means less stress on the servers because of less people being logged in even though they arent even playing… (Since the fact of being online will most likely safe your base from being raided already - at least if you dont piss off the wrong guys.)
Really guys, just be honest for once: How many have faked being online at least once?
I came across a ton of people who did that.
And every single time I or people I knew were raided, I/they always had been raided offline.
The actual reason for that lies in how broken building vs raiding is, but that is a totally else issue, which then finally needs to be ironed out.

Offline protection might kick in like 30 minutes AFTER the last owner of a building left the game.
(Still leaves more than plenty time to find and raid that place. I dont really like that, but given that people might exploit that protection by going offline as soon as they are getting raided, this is needed. People would at least have to get to know their targets playing times to raid his/her place…)

Offline protection might not even mean invicibility but maybe “just” decreased damage being taken? Like only 10-20% of that damage gets dealt; I dont like that version due to all those duping tricks people got up their sleeves. Point would be to have those places be raidable but at a extremely risen cost. Makes no sense as long as duping is possible though…

Offline protection will NOT protect from purges.
For that to work, any damage dealt by jars, aoes and direct damage dealt by players would be needed to be marked/changed in some way to have it be negated if the targets owner is offline.

Offline protection will NOT protect from decay, so if someone really stops playing, there is no need to raid him/her. Instead one might experience a swarm of pillagers who fight over that decayed base.

What offline protection actually protects against:

Being raided by people who got tenfold of your time per week to spend on farming for the next raid…
Which includes being harrassed by being offline raided on a regular basis by the same people all the time.

Being raided offline in general, as that is basically impossible to (properly) defend against. (Unless you hole yourself up on a finger and pop a defense…) If thralls and pets suddenly learnt how to dodge, that might do the trick too. I doubt that will happen though…

Also:
In exchange for having offline protection be a thing, 24/7 raiding should be enabled.

I didnt intend to answer your reasoning about powerusage/-waste or else…
It simply makes no sense to me to begin with.
First off: Only stuff which is in renderrange of a player is being loaded by the server. They pulled a few stunts to have that work in terms of crafting queues being executed even though not being rendered and thus not being processed. Weird stuff, I dont completely get it myself, but that is the reason why we get to experience those instantly cooked stuffs.
Also as I already told above, people tend to fake being online by being afk or running against some wall all the time. Those are the ones wasting power.

Or rather if decay and purge werent in the game, asking for offline protection would completely ruin the game.

The real issue with offline protection is griefing like it’s being done on pve → people use the building and decay system to create obstacles for other players which arent possible to get rid of. Those guys would just build these while the “attacked” party isnt online and build their crap around them and then just go offline with having their stuff be protected.
This would probably only be solved by having Funcom act against griefers and trolls swiftly.

Which then again is a bs reason to me.
Maybe just because how not everyone is capable to financially support such a server…
Also this locks out anyone who plays on official, which are in need of such a protection the most, given the number of griefers and exploiters. Or straight out cheaters. (Including lagswitching and usage of macros for there)
Since the clanmates I play with grew to become bored and almost traumatized by the game itself on official pvp (i.e. because of offline raids and cheaters), we started looking for servers which supported our language AND the need for mods to change the experience. I am yet to find a single server which wont act on offline raids. Most even demand some RP and telling about the incoming raid a few days in advance. (Speaking of pvp+mods. I havent found a single pvp+mod only, rp is always part of these.)

Sometimes I wonder how people can be even more warped than I am already…
Thats 6 hours a day you demand players to be online. And there still are people who want to pvp (my 2 months of pve-c lacked any pvp - noone fought there) while not being able to cover these 6 hours each day. And others might just not want to do that.

On the other hand, having admins who hold off offline raiding would suffice. But that wont happen without a sub, which then again wont happen eighter.

Sorry if there is bad wording or similar… lil tired…

1 Like

Nice idea but thralls still have fundamental flaws.
One being the missing ability to dodge and climb, the other them not fleeing out of sight when not able to counterattack.
All they got are the capability of wearing gear and their huge mass of HP. But that only rises the time spent on getting rid of them as some attacking player. Or one just ignores these…

Also players will always find way to expoilt something as patches come and go in order to gain an advantage - like duping and that kind of stuff.
There is literally 0 defense against that.
Also regarding raid times, people have already found ways to change serversettings or use certain exploits/similar to raid a base even though it’s not raid time.
If all these things were fixed with no other holes or possibilities, then offline protection might just as well be turned off again. But as long as exploits and stuff are a thing, at least offline raiding needs to be taken care off… As that might be used to dodge the times when those exploiters are “raiding”.

In general, offline protection would be in favor of casuals, who dont really got the time.
Of course there would be else problems which would be needed to be taken care of.

Like people just relogging to keep their stuff, which then is impossible to bomb away.
As much as I would like online purges, but I guess they would be needed to stay for offline too - to have purge clear away the offline protected exploiting the protection to keep their stuff on pvp servers.
Then there might be a need to have a decent cunk be added to the meter, to have purge happen on those passive bases.

I want you to understand that I do aknowledge that there are flaws to offline protection, and that I dont have an answer on all of them. But thats where being a crowd comes into play. Other people might have ideas…

Thing is, most people probably quit because of having been offline raided again and again and again…

Hm. If 24/7 raiding is possible on both, then yes. Because having offline protection would mean people should be vulnerable whenever they are online. Even if they are online outside of raid times.
All other non-casual pvp servers would become mayhem servers…

Not that easy to keep it short.

WITH offline protection:

With raid times:

• people could just play outside of raid hours to i.e. support a clan who wants to engage with other clans; thats basically another level of exploiting

Without raid times:

• individual “raid times” for everyone; whenever the target is online, thats your raid time window
    (Including the possibilty to raid people during the night if they resort to playing then.)

NO offline protection:

With raid times:

• basically wonky offline protection light
    (I would guess that people who dislike offline protection would dislike raid times too.)

Without raid times:

• just raid whenever you want
  • be raided whenever someone else wants to raid you
  • enjoy the thrill of being raided anytime you arent online

no.