A radical idea (rollback)

Rollback code, well… I’m an IT guy and while it sounds funny it isn’t a bad idea. Thnx!

But Rollback in this case would apply to reload the back-up/saving point.

It’s happened to loads of my thralls on an official server on PS4 we’ve had thralls just die randomly and just disappear we’ve had a few lians disappear with top gear and sword of Croms and we’ve rescued a couple And haven’t been able to get there loot back and they just keep vanishing so we’ve stopped doing it now or what happened to me last night levelling a snow hunter and got her to lvl19 she had 9k health out of 12k and then she just dies instantly checked eventlog didn’t tell me how she died since the update this game has become even more buggy then usual

1 Like

Yes like I said we rescued them before but there gear is nowhere to be seen and it keeps happening to the same thralls even if we move there position and no I didn’t see her die it just came up on my screen saying snowhunter has died following you but the last time she was with me was 10 seconds and we had no enemies near us we had killed them all and what do you mean by the culling of thralls so if your over a certain number of thralls the game will just start killing them off

What is the limit

Yeah, I was trying to make non-IT people aware of certain difficulties they might not have thought of. And while rollback code is par for the course when it comes to client-server software development in general, in game development it’s a special case of “throwaway work” and all studios try to avoid throwaway work like a plague.

That would be a real disaster. Yes, there are many players complaining about the problems they had. But do we have any idea about how many have had no problems at all during these several days? Do we have any idea how many players would log in and find all their progress undone for something that didn’t affect them at all – hell, for something they maybe didn’t even know was a problem at all?

this game has become even more buggy then usual.

Kinda true.

I don’t fully agree, because I experienced updates that you almost can’t play anymore after installing it.

It’s still buggy, but less fundamental.

Yeah I know that the gear drops but we’ve had a few archers disappear then when we rescued them there gear dropped where they were standing when they disappeared so we hoped it would do the same as well for the lians because they were in our base not moving and there isn’t anything showing what the limit is on PS4 I just looked

But do we have any idea about how many have had no problems at all during these several days?

Million dollar question :slight_smile:

Yeah I know that the gear drops but we’ve had a few archers disappear then when we rescued them there gear dropped where they were standing when they disappeared so we hoped it would do the same as well for the lians because they were in our base not moving and there isn’t anything showing what the limit is on PS4 I just looked I’ve looked at the server setting in the options it says overpopulation cleanup interval 60 so does that mean the limit is 60 thralls

Nobody asked for a server roll-back. I’m saying a patch roll-back. As in removing the patch and taking it back to test-live. It’s like when you run into problems from a bad driver on your computer, and you roll it back. That doesn’t make a document you just typed out go away. It just makes the component use the older driver again.

I’m starting to feel like nobody is reading what I typed. I never suggested a server rollback. Where are you all getting this from. The title? I asked for the patch (Not the DLC) to be taken back to the test server. That means nobody loses anything, we just wouldn’t have access to the patch anymore. Nothing else would change. It’s the same thing as a driver rollback.

2 Likes

That is kind of the same mentally that you would tell these people who do not care about thralls/pets, if they lost their base or their gear or something they truly worked hard for to just suck it up if just disappeared. I don’t know the actual number for who plays or doesn’t play with thrall/pets but I would assume there would be at least some common courtesy to all who played to at least look into the situation. The OP of this post wasn’t saying to get rid of everything, just merely suggesting for funcom to put the new pet/thrall system back into testserver to try and fix the situation. The rollback would have no effect on characters current progress. :wink:

I’m playing on a official PS4 server and with one other person in our clan and that isn’t what I have on my screen That picture is what I have in my menu

No, I’m not advocating for that. At any rate, what you’re saying would be literally impossible. Considering different companies run different servers for Conan Exiles, and I doubt Funcom has the ability to force them to roll their servers back, and even if they did and they said “No”. What is Funcom gonna do? Take them to court and spend months or years trying to get them to do it? By the time that happened the patch would’ve been fixed anyway. No, no, that’s never going to happen. Regardless, as you hinted, patch rollbacks aren’t unprecedented. It happens every day. If Funcom didn’t prepare for such an obvious eventuality, then…well that just kinda proves the larger point, this never should’ve left test and should definitely be forced back.

Forgot to reply to you so you’d see the my message

Yeah ik… And i agree on that… The thrall system should go back and be polished… I negate noones efforts… but in my point of view, the whole thrall thing is like all those poor guys that lost their base to decay or bugged decay etc… Like all those who lost character when logged out due to bug, unwarned armour temperature changes, etc… Just happens…and none of the mentioned above has been compensated… We r survivors… We overcome such situations… And this mentality i d personally love to see( and is what i admire at the post i replied-i was not being ironic)… And i know how frustrating it can be… And trust me i have lost my gear many times (and thankfully some chests only) due to bugs, but i have spent so many materials helping people that lost/got bullied off their spots that i would have built my base multiple times…). So i know what it feels to loose stuff u put lots of times and effort to gain… And i am one that decided not to be dependant on thralls a very very long time ago (and never regreted it)…

That might be the case we’ve just culled a load of thralls and animals we don’t use anymore so hopefully it goes back to normal and they address the falling under the map glitch soon thanks for your help tho

1 Like

The simple point of what I was saying is that I just wanted to be able to take my pets out and have fun. I do not need them but it is part of what I personally enjoy. I’m also not advocating for Funcom to mess up everyone’s progress just because I personally am having an issue with using my pets. But when the patch is based around thralls AND pets and its has a lot of issues, it would be nice to have them fix it since people do not want to risk their thralls and pets. The DLC looks amazing and that should stay, just fix the issues with pets/thralls.

1 Like

That’s not what I “hinted”. What I pointed out is that a patch rollback might not be feasible because there is a possibility that the patch has resulted in applying irreversible changes to the game database on every server.

And that’s why I said that, if that happens to be the case, the only surefire way to roll back those changes would be to do a full server rollback. And yeah, I agree, it won’t happen, because it’s generally a terrible idea that should be only used as a last resort in most extreme circumstances.

Oh, well I was just trying to give you credit, where I felt like it was due. haha Out of respect, I’ll delete that portion since I misunderstood. If it is however true that a company doesn’t even back up their previous patch…that would mean if it somehow got erased the game is literally gone. They would have to go to someone else with a copy and cobble it back together. This happened to Diablo 2, and I had hoped other devs would’ve learned from it, but perhaps you’re right, perhaps not.

As far as rolling back the servers, they don’t control all the servers, several different companies do. They can’t do that. So it’s not really useful to even consider or discuss.